researching gsr and ctr. help/info?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
How so? What makes them suck? i wouldnt think any motor tranny straight from the factory would suck on the highway.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think he meant that the b16 tranny would bring you to higher rpm's to quickly for hw driving, he worded it wrong, I think

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using Tapatalk 2

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the gsr tranny will sit lower in the rpm range, but you can still get upper 20's mpg if you are trying to, maybe break 30 on a long easy cruise. The engine will be fine cruising that high, that is why we all like honda's, just be very good to it, change your oil and filter by 3,000 especially if you are hard on it, give it high octane gas, you know, all that life and blood type stuff.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah just get a GSR trans or a GSR/LS 5th gear if you want a better highway gear. The other day I didn 35.5 mpg in my GSR only highway miles, I usually get about 28mpg mixed with like 70% street driving. GSR trans is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

I vote b16b though, I hear with a little head work those things can get pretty high in the RPM range, not as much torque as a b18 but who care if u got a ctr engine haha

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I just got my hands on a b16b too! I'm just trying to figure out what trans to go with because the guy won't give up his type-r trans. The engine stock redlines at 9k. Definitely NEVER popping the hood.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
hahaha hell yeah dude!
At juice, the gsr and ctr tranny i thought were both 4.400 final drive? wouldnt it be the same?
My buddy gets 29mpg all highway in the new si revin at 3700rpm or 4.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GSR, USDM ITR, and B16A trans all have the same final drive I believe. It's the 5th gear ration that differs and makes the GSR a little more efficient for highway driving. Well actually I believe every gear but 1st and reverse differ but thats a different story. You'll be a bit quicker with the tighter gearing of the b16/ITR trans but for a DD unless it comes with LSD I would just pick up a GSR tranny. My GSR is moderately build and all highway cruising between 70-75mph I got that 35mpg. Course our cars are lighter than your buddies too. Isn't the SI a 6 speed and it still puts him that high in the rev range? Damn lol

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
GSR, USDM ITR, and B16A trans all have the same final drive I believe. It's the 5th gear ration that differs and makes the GSR a little more efficient for highway driving. Well actually I believe every gear but 1st and reverse differ but thats a different story. You'll be a bit quicker with the tighter gearing of the b16/ITR trans but for a DD unless it comes with LSD I would just pick up a GSR tranny. My GSR is moderately build and all highway cruising between 70-75mph I got that 35mpg. Course our cars are lighter than your buddies too. Isn't the SI a 6 speed and it still puts him that high in the rev range? Damn lol
Thats awesome, i wonder what i'd get with the b16 tranny for mpg. 35mpg though is sweet! Yeah its a six speed but very close ratio. I was in it today and at 80 we are at est.3700 rpm. The thing screams though. and for 46k miles in one year, the thing is a champ.