reverse lights don't turn on

RonJ

Banned
But can you tell me where does this yellow/red-yellow wire(s) start at? after the fuse box? So inspecting entire harness is going to have to be it then huh?
Starts at the dash fuse box as a Yel/Red wire and turns into a Yel wire before reaching the switch.

RonJ

Banned
the cruise control also does not work and the fuse is working properly, so maybe it is a bad dash fuse box?
Fuse 19 only protects the back up lights circuit. There's no reason at this point to assume that the cc problem is related.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Starts at the dash fuse box as a Yel/Red wire and turns into a Yel wire before reaching the switch.

ok thanks alot RonJ!! much appreciated :D

oh and umm....also thanks for the iacv help a while ago....if those bastards hadnt sent me the automatic iacv instead of the manual one i ordered i wouldnt have had to do all that :/ but learned lots of new stuff! thanks again!

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fuse 19 only protects the back up lights circuit. There's no reason at this point to assume that the cc problem is related.
oohhh ok gotcha thanks again i will do some thorough inspecting of the harness :brickwall:

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so the yellow red wire goes into the engine at this connector right? the plug on the left. i checked it with the multimeter and the yellow-red wire reads -2.4? along with the black-white and brown-black. The only two that actually read about 34 is the white and blue and the other one i forget...
(key was on)

also i did notice that the d16y8 wiring harness only has one plug(the connector on the left[that is circled in red]) and it is a d16y8 with a y7 head and s20 trans....so maybe harness is reading it wrong?

and i guess if this is incorrect then i will have to cut the black covering on the wiring harness and expose the wires to check for breaks/cuts in the yellow/red wire.... thats going to be one tough cookie to crumble considering i might have to take off the intake manifold for that...

RonJ

Banned
The Back Up light wires do not route to the connectors in your picture. They instead route to the passenger side to C131 (terminals 14 and 15) located near the ECU. (for manual tranny)

The information you need is in the three diagrams below.

Here's a summary of the circuit:

Switch--2 Grn/Blk wires--2P connector C124--1 Yel wire/1 Grn/Blk wire--22P connector C131--Yel/Red wire(to dash fuse box)/Grn/Blk wire(to back up lights)

C124 = Back UP light switch connector
C131 = behind passenger kick panel near ECU

Last edited:

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
So a 1996 DX that was an auto was swapped to a manual with a 1999 EX transmission, THEN mini-me'd with a Y8 head....and the reverse lights don't work at all. Is it some sort of wiring issue? Is there a switch on top of this EX transmission? Fuse 19?

RonJ

Banned
So a 1996 DX that was an auto was swapped to a manual with a 1999 EX transmission, THEN mini-me'd with a Y8 head....and the reverse lights don't work at all. Is it some sort of wiring issue?
That's precisely what the OP's wires tests indicate at this point.

And the Back UP lights for an auto tranny route to C433 instead of C124 and do not route through C131:

Last edited:

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hot damn....this might be a bigger dilemma then i thought O.o
so if the guy didnt replace the wiring harness with that of a manual one and kept the automatic wiring when he converted it from automatic to standard then um...were going to have a problem right?
then again...i guess hed have to replace it with the correct one in order to get everything working alright...

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
RonJ you are awesome. I followed your diagram and found out the reason my reverse lights do not work was b/c slot 19 was missing a fuse. So i slipped a 7.5 amp fused in and wham my reverse lights work. Thanks RonJ!