Reverse lights turn off when parking lights or head lamps are turned on.

SpoofMastaFly

So I've been trying to fix this problem for awhile now. I've got a 1992 Honda Civic hatch, (VX has a b18a1 swap) I've checked the fuses, replaced the bulbs, and checked the reverse sensor on the transmission. All work, nothing is blown. I've looked at the wiring at the inner tail lamps and none is cut up. (I replaced the rear lamps) The grounds also look fine.

The issue is when I have the car in reverse, I turn the ignition on and the reverse lamps turn on. As soon as I turn on the parking lights OR head lights, the reverse lights turn off. I have unscrewed the reverse sensor and held the button down still does it. I have unplugged my head lamps, still does it. I have unplugged my rear lights and it still does it.

So I'm pretty lost, and I'm about ready to just run a wire and switch to the reverse lights and use that whenever I need them.

Also forgot to mention I jumped the reverse switch wires and got the same response. Lights turn off when the running lights or headlamps are on. Ive also taken apart the light switch and cleaned and regreased all the terminals and connections.

RonJ

Banned
The rear ground wire is bad or you have a single filament bulb installed where a double filament bulb should be.

SpoofMastaFly

Ok ill look at the grounds again, they aren't corroaded or cut. Seem to be in the correct spots. Ill switch around the bulbs too. I'm guessing both the reverse and inner running lights are single filament.

SpoofMastaFly

Single filament in the reverse. Double in the inner running. Pulled the running lights bulbs same affect reverse lights turn off. Put a single filament in the running light spot same outcome. The reverse socket wouldn't take a double filament bulb and the plug only has one contact patch so that's correct. The grounds are all solderied in the pigtails, and the other three grounds (two from the pigtails that have a connector near where the lights mount) and the single ground that runs out of the harness in the middle of the hatch are all clean and connected.

RonJ

Banned
Double check this:

The parking/front side marker lights should be 3496 double-filament bulbs.
The license plate light and rear side marker lights should be 168 single-filament bulbs.
The taillights/brake lights should be 2057 double-filament bulbs.
The high mount brake light should be a 921 or 3497 single-filament bulb.
The reverse and rear turn signal lights should be 1156 single-filament bulbs.

SpoofMastaFly

Double check this:

The parking/front side marker lights should be 3496 double-filament bulbs.
The license plate light and rear side marker lights should be 168 single-filament bulbs.
The taillights/brake lights should be 2057 double-filament bulbs.
The high mount brake light should be a 921 or 3497 single-filament bulb.
The reverse and rear turn signal lights should be 1156 single-filament bulbs.
Well all the bulbs aren't marked there actual numbers.. sure you know that. But all the filaments are correct. I'm still working on popping the high mount brake light out. It doesn't turn on. Probably a burnt bulb in there.

SpoofMastaFly

So I might of found the problem... Looks like the inner taillights are setup to be ran as double filament. So they would get brighter when the brake light is pressed.. I believe they are suppose to just be single filament and act as running lights? I bought new tail lamps because the ones on the car were rusted out and threw them away..The new inner tails came with pig tails that have 3 wires coming out of them rather than 2 like I'm seeing in some DIY inner brake lights. Maybe I need to rewire or get some single filament pig tails for those inner lights and it might fix the issue?

RonJ

Banned
So I might of found the problem... Looks like the inner taillights are setup to be ran as double filament. So they would get brighter when the brake light is pressed.. I believe they are suppose to just be single filament and act as running lights? I bought new tail lamps because the ones on the car were rusted out and threw them away..The new inner tails came with pig tails that have 3 wires coming out of them rather than 2 like I'm seeing in some DIY inner brake lights. Maybe I need to rewire or get some single filament pig tails for those inner lights and it might fix the issue?
The taillights and brake lights definitely share a double filament bulb.

SpoofMastaFly

No the reverse lights aren't affected by pressing the brake.

The brake lights under the reverse lights on the hatch should not light up when you press the brake pedal correct? The pig tails in that housing have double filament prongs (to contact points) rather than 1. From what i've read the only lights that should light up when the brakes are applied are the one located under the spoiler, and the two on the outer tail lights.

RonJ

Banned
#1 in the left diagram is the only double filament bulb in the rear. #1 is the only bulb, besides the high mount, that should turn on when the brake pedal is pushed.

Have you checked the front double filament bulbs?

SpoofMastaFly

The bulbs are correct in the front. I've got HID's in the head lamps, and the correct double filaments in the corner/parking lamps. Even if unplugging the HID's and running stock bulbs the reverse lamps don't work correctly.

Now looking at that diagram (inner lamp), the #2 bulb and pig tail is different than what I have in my car. I've got a larger pig tail (just like the brake light on the outer tail lamp) and it has two contact points for a double filament bulb, Could this cause an issue?

RonJ

Banned
Now looking at that diagram (inner lamp), the #2 bulb and pig tail is different than what I have in my car. I've got a larger pig tail (just like the brake light on the outer tail lamp) and it has two contact points for a double filament bulb, Could this cause an issue?
Possibly. Does it look stock? What are the wire colors for the socket?

What resistance to body ground do you measure on the black wire terminal of the reverse lights socket?

SpoofMastaFly

It looks stock, no cut wires. wires directly into the wiring harness that came with the tails. I'll get the reading for you.

RonJ

Banned
Do you have a double filament bulb installed in this socket?

And what are the wire colors?

SpoofMastaFly

Took some pictures for you. On the stock wiring harness, there are only 3 wires going into the lamps harness. The lamps harness have 4 wires coming out of it. I believe that extra wire is looking for a brake light signal to use that double filament bulb.

3 wires from stock wiring harness, 4 coming from the lamp's harness.

resistance between the ground and body ground for the reverse lamp looks good.

RonJ

Banned
If you unplug the dimmer switch and remove all parking, taillight, and license plate light bulbs, do the reverse lights now stay on when the light switch is turned to parking lights?