Reverse lights turn off when parking lights or head lamps are turned on.

RonJ

Banned
I pulled the running light fuse, and the reverse lights work fine. So its gotta be something with them.
That's expected and yields little new information. It's like turning the light switch off.

By removing the bulbs and unplugging the switch, you'll know whether or not power from the ground wires turns the reverse lights turn off.

SpoofMastaFly

Pulling fuse 19, 10amp on the cover it says for Tail Light, Instrument light, and license light. allows the reverse lights to work correctly. Just no other rear lights come.

SpoofMastaFly

That's expected and yields little new information. It's like turning the light switch off.

By removing the bulbs and unplugging the switch, you'll know whether or not power from the ground wires turns the reverse lights turn off.
Ok i'll do that.

RonJ

Banned
^odd

What are the wire colors for both reverse lights? Are they Grn/Blk and Blk?

Does re-installing any one bulb make the reverse lights work again? if so, which one(s)?

SpoofMastaFly

With the bulbs installed the reverse only came on if the car was on, turn on the light switch and they turn off.

wire color coming out of the plug is GRN/YLW and Black.

I'll throw a bulb in till they come on again.

SpoofMastaFly

Ok so once I install the inner running bulb the reverse lamps come back on. Now whats weird is when i turn the car to run, the reverse lights come on AND the running lights come on but are very dim.

SpoofMastaFly

Yes with the bulbs removed the reverse lights do not come on.

With them installed they will only come on if the car is in run, the light switch does not affect them.

RonJ

Banned
Ok so once I install the inner running bulb the reverse lamps come back on.
Please give the details. When this happens:

1) Is the key off or in ON(I) or ON(II)?

2) Is the light switch on or off?

3) Is the transmission in reverse?

Now whats weird is when i turn the car to run, the reverse lights come on AND the running lights come on but are very dim.
Again, please give the details. When this happens:

1) Is the key in ON(I) or ON(II)? Is the engine running?

2) Is the light switch on or off?

3) Is the transmission in reverse?

RonJ

Banned
What resistance to body ground do you measure on the black wire terminal of the reverse lights socket?
With the reverse light bulb removed, redo this resistance measurement on the black wire with all bulbs removed.

Then turn the key to ON(II), and measure voltage to body ground on the Grn/Yel power wire in the reverse light socket.

SpoofMastaFly

1: ON (1)

2: Light switch OFF (reverse comes on) and the running lights are on but very dim. Once I turn the switch on, the reverse lights turn off.

3: Transmission is in reverse

RonJ

Banned
2: Light switch OFF (reverse comes on) and the running lights are on but very dim. Once I turn the switch on, the reverse lights turn off.
The running lights should only turn on when the light switch is on.

The reverse lights are clearly sending voltage to the running lights and the running lights are clearly sending voltage to and interfering with the reverse lights.

See post #33.

SpoofMastaFly

With the reverse light bulb removed, redo this resistance measurement on the black wire with all bulbs removed.

Then turn the key to ON(II), and measure voltage to body ground on the Grn/Yel power wire in the reverse light socket.
Resistance is slightly under 5 ohm

And I am getting 12 volts at the GRN/Yel wire.

This^ is the accessory position - ON(I). The reverse lights should only turn on with the key in ON(II).
Excuse me, the reverse lamps come on in the ON (II).

RonJ

Banned
Resistance is slightly under 5 ohm

And I am getting 12 volts at the GRN/Yel wire.
Were ALL bulbs removed for this test?

The reverse lights don't work with all bulbs removed, so I expect either bad ground or bad power under this condition.