Screw you apple!

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey apple had the app store first, they trademarked the name for what they use it for, google has the android market, blackberry has their thing, amazon should create their own. Apple did nothing wrong here.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apple did coin the term "app," nobody said that before the iPhone commercials. They're just trying to protect their branding, if I was Apple and invested all of that money in marketing I would want to protect my investment too. This is big business so if they can hinder a competitors success, even temporarily, of course they are going to do it. Amazon would do the same thing. Microsoft would do the same thing. If you think about how many people at Amazon would be involved in a project like creating the Amazon App Store it's pretty astonishing that nobody thought to make sure it wasn't copyrighted. All you have to do is open the App Store and click "About App Store" and you see this.

:what:
Apple didn't coin the term app. App has been a word within the web design community for awhile, Apple took it from another company (Suprising :roll:)

The term "app store" isn't copyrighted, it's the program.

Hey apple had the app store first, they trademarked the name for what they use it for, google has the android market, blackberry has their thing, amazon should create their own. Apple did nothing wrong here.
There's nothing wrong with protecting IP, but when it comes to trademarking two common words because "Oh! I took it from another company! We used it in our commercials!" it when it's BS.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ agree they shouldnt be able to copyright a common phrase that they didnt even come up with.
If they can copyrigh that then you should be able to copyright random snetences and if honda uses that sentence in a commercial trying to sell cars then sue them thats about how much sense it makes to me. Thats just me though my 2 cents not thats its worth nothing lol.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Seriously guys? Apple went through this fight with microsoft back in the day with Windows being a generic term for a operating system. You have to protect your intelectual property.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
App store was not a common phrase before the iphone. You guys just have sand in your vagina's =)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Apple didn't coin the term app. App has been a word within the web design community for awhile, Apple took it from another company (Suprising :roll:)

The term "app store" isn't copyrighted, it's the program.
Apple trademarked "app store" three years ago. Even if they weren't the first ones to ever abbreviate the word application, they were still the ones who made "app" a household phrase and were smart enough to trademark it. It's just business, Amazon, Microsoft or Google all would have done it if they thought of it first. But… they didn't.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
App store was not a common phrase before the iphone. You guys just have sand in your vagina's =)
App has been a common phrase within web design and networking industry. :what:

Seriously guys? Apple went through this fight with microsoft back in the day with Windows being a generic term for a operating system. You have to protect your intelectual property.
There's a difference between protecting YOUR intelectual property, and taking someone elses intelectual property. Another business came to Steve Jobs about an idea, and it was as App Store, Steve Jobs told them it wasn't a good idea and to go with another name, he then bought the appstore.com domain from them, and it went from there.

Windows shouldn't be trademarked, it should be copyrighted so that another company can't publish another OS under the Windows name.

App Store is such a common phrase now, if Apple wants to trademark that, I should be able to trademark other common phrases, but because I'm not making billions of dollars a year, I can't :roll:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apple trademarked "app store" three years ago. Even if they weren't the first ones to ever abbreviate the word application, they were still the ones who made "app" a household phrase and were smart enough to trademark it. It's just business, Amazon, Microsoft or Google all would have done it if they thought of it first. But… they didn't.
And it's a good thing they didn't. Trademark and Copyrights were developed to protect great ideas, now it's being abused by corporations to copyright and trademark anything they want. The whole Copyright and Trademark needs a complete revamp, starting from scratch, it's no longer protecting ideas, it's now just protection for someones name, or business.

emerican

Registered VIP
App has been a common phrase within web design and networking industry. :what:

There's a difference between protecting YOUR intelectual property, and taking someone elses intelectual property. Another business came to Steve Jobs about an idea, and it was as App Store, Steve Jobs told them it wasn't a good idea and to go with another name, he then bought the appstore.com domain from them, and it went from there.

Windows shouldn't be trademarked, it should be copyrighted so that another company can't publish another OS under the Windows name.

App Store is such a common phrase now, if Apple wants to trademark that, I should be able to trademark other common phrases, but because I'm not making billions of dollars a year, I can't :roll:
:word: I understnad its just bussiness and they think they are protecting whats theres, but what do they gain if they win then the other app store just gets named something else and keeps on moving i dont see the huge gain or anything thats worth sueing over besides just trying to prove that they are the only ones that can use the name app store.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out and tries to trademark and copyright Application as well.

They also trademarked and copyrighted "There's an app for that" which is fine. It's a slogan. But, I don't get why they trademarked it under these categories:
Advertising, Business and Retail Services, Computer and Software Services and Scientific Services categories.

Scientific Services? Really?

Last edited:

emerican

Registered VIP
Damn thats a lot of catagorys they just put it under anything they could think of lol.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And it's a good thing they didn't. Trademark and Copyrights were developed to protect great ideas, now it's being abused by corporations to copyright and trademark anything they want. The whole Copyright and Trademark needs a complete revamp, starting from scratch, it's no longer protecting ideas, it's now just protection for someones name, or business.
You're confusing a trademark with a patent.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have not but why play on pc when you can play in real life!
[YOUTUBE="nice"]t_2Wnn_JI_8[/YOUTUBE]

Im liking the new Angry birds without ads though :thumbup:

Conan's Hilarious

Conan is the s**t and that was funny as hell! Also what happens when Steve Jobs passes? Apple will collapse upon itself. Stupid corporations. Im a droid user. Open source > closed source

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait, app store is so popular because of the iphone and now you think every company should have the right to use it? That is asinine. Lets look at soda. Coke is a common phrase for soda some places. Some people will call a pepsi a coke. It is a regional thing. Now is this being a known fact do you thing Coke would be alright with pepsi using Coke as a name for a product it is selling? No, because it is the name of one of cokes products. Just like the app store. Apple get a 30 percent cut of apps sold. The app store is a product. Also, just because a few people (web developers really lol) have used a term before has no bearing on opening a product and selling millions of applications. That would be like national geographic being angry at the detroit lions because national geographic clearly published information on lions before the detroit lions decided to become a football team. the argument you guys have is just retarded.

Ekboi126

5+ Year Member
coke or pepsi didn't call their company soda why????because you can't trademark a generic word.....

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait, app store is so popular because of the iphone and now you think every company should have the right to use it? That is asinine. Lets look at soda. Coke is a common phrase for soda some places. Some people will call a pepsi a coke. It is a regional thing. Now is this being a known fact do you thing Coke would be alright with pepsi using Coke as a name for a product it is selling? No, because it is the name of one of cokes products. Just like the app store. Apple get a 30 percent cut of apps sold. The app store is a product. Also, just because a few people (web developers really lol) have used a term before has no bearing on opening a product and selling millions of applications. That would be like national geographic being angry at the detroit lions because national geographic clearly published information on lions before the detroit lions decided to become a football team. the argument you guys have is just retarded.
Fanboism, I love it :lol:

App Store is a completely generic term, doesn't matter who came up with it (Not even Apple did ;)).

It's a regional thing, a culture thing, for calling a Pepsi Coke (Although I've never heard of this, I've heard of calling it Soda Pop :what: ) It wouldn't fly because the two brands are completely different.

What your saying is, because just a select few used the term, that it's ok for Apple to trademark it? :roll:

It would not be like NatGeo being angry at detroit lions because they are two completely different industries, as well not causing any confusion between the two.