skittle_107's CX/SIR build thread.

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I figured it was time to start a thread detailing the build of my 98 Honda Civic CX.

I sold my S2000 and ended up picking up this hatchback off a buddy I know. I drive to Georgia every month and the S2000 wasn't cutting it on comfort on the 8 hour drive.

I know some you know or have heard of Level7 and Jesse Vaughn. He has been a part of some Honda Tuning builds and I'm thrilled that he's doing the work on my hatchback. This car started as just something I was going to put miles on, but has turned into much more then that. I've already forged some great friendships with everyone I've met during this process and its not even close to being done. :thumbup:

I'm gonna go ahead an thank

God for providing everything I need.
Jesse Vaughn, Drew Bowdler, and Chris Lacey
Level7 Motorsports
My supportive girlfriend, Taylor
Zerolift AutoLabs
ICB
HMotors
The State of Illinois for paying me big bucks LOL

This was my S2000 that I sold, loved the car, just wasn't what I needed right now.

Ended up shipping it out to a gentlemen in Las Vegas. This is what I ended up with. :thud:

Its a 98 Honda Civic CX that has been spray painted green then vinyl wrapped beige. Don't ask me why. Needless to say, my girlfriend wasn't super happy with me and I even questioned my decision. The car had to be trailered to Level7 on account of some broken wheels studs. I had started the car before I purchased it, but it wasn't safe to take for a drive with the missing studs. The engine bay had been rhino lined, but the engine seemed to be decent.

This is/was the modification list when I purchased the car

B16A engine (85,xxx miles)
Skunk 2 Stage 1 cams
Skunk 2 Intake manifold
Chipped P30 ECU with OBD2A to OBD1 conversion harness
Innovative Solid Track mounts (black bushings)
CUSCO solid exhaust mounts
Spoon Sports solid shift linkage bushings
A'PEXi GT spec Civic Type R header
HKS Hi Power cat back exhaust
GSR transmission (freshly rebuilt)
Clutchmaster Stage 2 clutch
ACT 12 lb flywheel
Civic Type R shift linkage
SAMCO black radiator hoses
Integra full size radiator
NGK spark plug wires
AGX struts with rebuilt Ground Control coils
SKUNK 2 front camber kit
Megan Racing rear camber kit
PIC Performance rear LCAs
Integra rear disc conversion
Stainless steel brake lines

The next day we replaced all the front wheel studs on both front wheels, installed steel braided brake lines up front, bled the brakes and took it for a spin.

It was throwing some codes and stumbling on itself upon acceleration. 2nd gear syncro's are missing upon deceleration. At this point I was devastated. Jesse reassured me that everything would check out, just let him go through the car on Monday

:thud:

Monday rolls around, he checks it over, rewires the conversion harness, wires the O2 sensor that was cut, adjusts the timing, puts new plugs in and fresh gas and its running like a top, excpet for 2nd gear, boooo

After seeing some damage to the core support, the decision was made to go SiR front and rear. We sourced a front cut from ZeroLift AutoLabs in Cinni, OH.

So we tore into it and man was it messed up. After removing several screws holding on the core support, we ended up just tearing it off by hand. The frame rail was somewhat bent, and parts of the car were just missing welds all together. There was about a 2 inch hold in the firewall that was covered by what look to be some sort of foil and caulk. I was depressed to say the least. Here are some pictures, its pretty rough.

We started the day like this:

Found some of these

Then this

Ripped it off by hand

gave us this

Drew Bowdler did some high quality motor pulling in 34 minutes we had this

and then ended the day like this

Needless to say, I was into the build at this point, and it didn't matter to me what was wrong. I am determined to see this build through.

While all this was happening I was ordering some little stuff here and there for the interior.

The next order of business was removing the rhino liner from the bay. We used some chemical coating remover and then had the engine bay sandblasted. All in all, not that hard to remove.

That ended up leaving us with this

The sandblasting did reveal that both the front wheel houses needed replacing. :mad:

At this point I didn't care at all anymore. I'm in it now. Might was well see it through.

After that, the vinyl was next to go. I will never EVER buy another vinyl wrapped car in my life. After three 10-12 hour days of peeling, heating and steaming. The vinyl was off. Special thanks to C. Lacey and C. Baker for helping with the vinyl :thumbup:

During this time, Jesse had made a trip up to Chicago and found myself a nice set of wheels for an awesome price (Thanks Brandon :hugs=)

16x7 SSR Type C's

Here are some more shots of the last of the vinyl peeling :hammer:

courtesy of C. Baker. Thanks :D

Ordered a SiR rear bumper, new SiR moldings for the front bumper, thin side moldings, and a new SiR lip! Thanks ICB and Hmotors!

After the vinyl was completely removed, it left us with the residue from the glue. Most of that has been removed though. We ended up fitting the front end onto the car. At this point I was just glad it was looking like a car again.

I started breaking down the engine for a good cleaning.

I ordered a Private Label narrow header, as this will be a car I need A/C in as I will be driving from Illinois to Georgia and back on the reg.

In the mean time, I finished up getting a fresh coat of paint on the engine and I ordered another little piece for the interior. Thanks Steve @ Hmotors :thumbup::thumbup:

Just need a new valve cover now :thumbup:

I started off the day at Level 7 loading up all my interior pieces into my beater for two reasons. One was to get them out of the way and out of the shop, the other to give every piece a good cleaning before going back into the hatch

After that was done, we started work on the bay. Have fun finding those spot welds :scared:

after that the car was pushed into the booth for primer :thumbup:

then came the etch primer!

then the primer!

then we called it a day. :hugs::thumbup:

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Threw some paint on it!

It changes from like dark blue/dark grey to light blue/light grey with a hint of green. Its perfect.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
[/center]

Here are some recent pictures of whats been happening!

freshly powder coated matte black subframe :thumbup:

got the wheels wells cleaned out and undercoating applied!

My buddy Colten (I heart hondas) came over and snapped a couple pictures

The car is back on four wheels. The front suspension is back on, just need to start getting it all back together.

The harness is almost finished :thumbup:

Harness by skittle_107, on Flickr

Got a new valve cover, that still needs to be stripped and powder coated black :thumbup:

B16 by skittle_107, on Flickr

Got the door handles and doors painted :thumbup:

Door Handles by skittle_107, on Flickr

Doors by skittle_107, on Flickr

My synchro set came in :thumbup:

2nd gear by skittle_107, on Flickr

and last but not least, my tires came in! :thumbup:

SSR by skittle_107, on Flickr

Got my second gear synchro installed!

Tranny rebuild by skittle_107, on Flickr

2nd Gear by skittle_107, on Flickr

So we got a lot done today. Engine in, AC mostly in (waiting on brackets) dash in, hatch sanded and ready for primer, fenders sanded and ready for primer. Most of the wiring buttoned up. All in all, it was a good day. :thumbup:

Black works racing lug nuts to replace the neo chrome ones because they weren't my style.

Honda came by and dropped off my fluids

got most of the interior in, waiting on some things to finish it up

Ended up getting the motor started today also! :pals:

So Jesse ended up getting my exhaust all welded up last night. It looks great and sounds great! The muffler is an A'PEXi WS2 that we cut the tip off and added a turn down. :thumbup:

Don't mind the bumper, it was to check clearance. :hugs:

the bay is officially done. :D

Bay by skittle_107, on Flickr

Here is a detailed before and after picture.

before

Before by skittle_107, on Flickr

after

Bay by skittle_107, on Flickr

The front end has not yet been aligned and the car is extremely dirty

Front and rear bumpers painted.

SiR by skittle_107, on Flickr

iPhone pictures mixed in with camera pictures all retouched in Corel Paintshop Photo Pro. HUGE thanks to Level 7 for working lots of hours on this yesterday. :thumbup:

Nothing much going on, just trying to save some money up. Next on the list of things is a new ECU and a fresh tune. This one is acting up every once in while. Can't have that! I did wash and wax it today, its going to Georgia tomorrow morning!

I haven't posted up any of the interior because its below my standards, but this shot turned out ok I guess!

yanked the tint off the rear windows and hatch today. Anyone have tips on removing the left over glue off the hatch glass?

Edit - managed to get it off using a steamer and SOS pad! Looks 100% better IMO

Tomorrow I'm going to get the rusty calipers painted, depending on the weather. :thumbup:

Picked up my first Spoon item today! It won't be the last :thumbup: :hugs:

Anyone planning on attending the IA fall meet in nashville? I'm going!

Also a little teaser of whats in the mail :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks to what gsr for being an awesome seller. :hugs:

picked this up today! Now I just need a sway bar :hugs:

and that brings me up to date! whew!

s_LoWbullet

That color on the rpf1's looks nice.
Ill be sure to have an eye out for this car if i do make it out to IA.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Great build man, I know what it's like to go through starting a build and just find problem after problem. I had similar things happen on my own build in the past, glad to see you kept at it and made that beater into a beautiful car again! :thumbs up

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I may be able to come, hopefully
I didn't go to the summer meet because it was too far, but Nashville is close so I'm going for sure!
That color on the rpf1's looks nice.
Ill be sure to have an eye out for this car if i do make it out to IA.
You should always have an eye out for it! My girlfriend goes to school in Georgia so I'm there on a regular basis!
holy balls.
I guess thats good lol!
Great build man, I know what it's like to go through starting a build and just find problem after problem. I had similar things happen on my own build in the past, glad to see you kept at it and made that beater into a beautiful car again! :thumbs up
it got pretty depressing, but I figured I had to trek on. I'm glad I did! :thumbup:

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey man nice car. This thing is a work of art. Well put together in my opinion. If you don't mind me asking what kind of paint did you use? It's a pretty nice combination of colors in different light.

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey man nice car. This thing is a work of art. Well put together in my opinion. If you don't mind me asking what kind of paint did you use? It's a pretty nice combination of colors in different light.
Thanks! I'm not giving out the paint code though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotta do what makes u happy.

And u have got to have a hobby...

skittle_107

touge
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Threw the ASR brace on today. Now I need a sway bar ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damn is that thing gorgeous...

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well that escalated quickly.

Anyways, I love the paint on the car. It looks amazing. That's pretty much the exact color I want to go with my teg.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I went ahead and cleaned this thread. Chill out, people.