So I ran over something big

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I ran over what appears to be a transmission housing in my civic this morning. I've got an 03 lowered 2.25 inches in the front.. and 2.00 in the rear. I just want to say...

I survived.. The civic was barely harmed. A few scratches and a bit of messed up paint on the front bumper and everything else is good to go. :shock:

I hit it hard enough have it go past the front bumper, and lodge it self under the car near the wheel well. It lifted my front left wheel off the ground slightly. I had to jack up the car to get it out.

Anyway, point of this thread is..

A. Holy s**t am I impressed with the civic

B. Anything you can think of that may have been damaged underneath the car that I should have a look at? It drives fine for the moment, but that doesn't mean there won't be a problem in the future. Is there any other damage that could have been caused but is not immediately apparent?

I took a picture with my phone of the thing I hit next to my bumper. I'll upload it at some point if there's interest.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your saying you ran over a transmission? that would like stop your civic lol

I would say look at the axles and just your suspension components..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
your saying you ran over a transmission? that would like stop your civic lol

I would say look at the axles and just your suspension components..
saying it looks like a transmission housing

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pics?

lol

id say maybe you couldve damaged the radiator or condensor... depends on where you hit it and how fast you were going..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

I was going about 75 on the highway. hit it on the left side of my front bumper.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The car actually dented / flattened the top side of it, so it was a couple inches fatter at the top.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the oil pan, engine block, crank pully, etc. obviously it hit somthing hard enough to 'flatten' the bellhousing

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy smokes it looks like a big ol' intake :D

or a ricer exhaust can

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks like you killed mega man and his arm is hangin out

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
looks like you killed mega man and his arm is hangin out
:haha:

But on a serious note. Check all your suspension components and make sure nothing's bent. I ran straight on into and over a curb last winter as I didn't see it and nothing got bent luckily... I was quite impressed with the durability of my civic. :shock:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Any clue what it is? Like I said, it looks like a transmission housing...

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
couldve been the base from a light pole or something. probably fell off a truck. whats it made out of?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
couldve been the base from a light pole or something. probably fell off a truck. whats it made out of?
a very heavy metal. I should have gotten better pictures of it. Oh well.

JdmPrncss

I ♥ NYGraFFit :)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How did you not see it in the road? Or could you not swerve?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the bigger question is how did somebody even lose their transmission? jesus christ if my tranny fell out while i was driving, i would stop the car, get out and pick it up... it's not like youre going to be driving to work after that happens like la-ti-da. f**k

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aww, I can't see the pic unless it's hosted on Photobucket =(

I'd say check on your tie rod since that'll be the most flimsiest thing that would possibly break or bend. Make sure none of that crap hit your oil pan, block, crank pulley either... Just take off your f. left wheel and everything will be much more noticeable.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How did you not see it in the road? Or could you not swerve?
There was somebody driving in front of me. He swerved at the last moment leaving me just enough time to curse myself before I hit it.

JdmPrncss

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There was somebody driving in front of me. He swerved at the last moment leaving me just enough time to curse myself before I hit it.
Ohh gotcha!! That sucks!! Glad it didn't do to much damage!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:lol: happens to me all the time with road kill. i drug a raccoon corpse for like 200ft once - left an awesome blood/flesh trail down the road

JdmPrncss

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:lol: happens to me all the time with road kill. i drug a raccoon corpse for like 200ft once - left an awesome blood/flesh trail down the road
I can't hit road kill bc my car is too low... My bf hit a possum and it broke my front lip into pieces... (I've had 5 different front lips for my car...)