So I tested a P&P HID kit

AllanR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I always have my ups and downs on whether or not to buy a P&P HID kit for 99 civic.

Many people say the glare is horrible, and many say it isn't too bad. Looking at these pictures it doesn't seem too horrible. Does aiming them downwards make THAT much of a difference?

I'm undecided on whether or not I should shell out ~$100 for a kit...

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
guys with pnp kits---> trade cars with a buddy and drive towards each other so you can see how bad the glare is from your car. don't just base it on how much light you see shining against a wall.

AllanR-do yourself a favor, save another 150-200 and do a full retro. you will thank yourself a million times over. the only reason i did a HID retro was because my car is a daily driver and i wanted a better setup to see at night time and it is now one of the best upgrades i have done to my car. it makes a world of difference it's unbelievable.

-Luke

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Once I stop being lazy, I'll get some pics of my PnP kit against a wall.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Finally got some pics tonight... Yes, they are installed properly. There is only 1 way the bulb can sit in the headlight. The little plastic tabs are slightly offset so that it can only fit 1 way.

Roughly 10 feet from the wall:

100+ feet from the wall:

Not bad glare huh? I'm surprised I've only had a handful of people flash me in the past just-less-than-week.

Zee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my glare is so bad, i've had people coming on the opposite direction yell at me lol

ak_thrylls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the headlight itself is what matters, it is not the HID kit making the glare!!

now, in my DA (OEM headlights) I had a PnP HID kit and I did not have any scatter, only a little glare. I never got flashed and didn't aim my headlights down.

on my friends civic, it looks like the above pics. TERRIBLE, I would take them out right away. can I ask you if you have aftermarket headlights? Depo headlights are notorious for having bad glare. even with a cheap $10 halogen bulb from autozone, I had more scatter and glare in depo EK headlights than a PnP HID kit in my integra. civic headlights are just not cut out for PnP HID kits. some cars can get away with it, most cant.

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HAHAHAHA OMG take those out NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i know where you live!

-Luke

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow, thats horrible. Mine is nothing like that at all. I'll take some pics tonight while i'm out.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its the type of headlights, some headlights are inside reflector, some use the rippled kind(like 6th gens, i think) that's whats causing glare, i put a P&P kit in my 4th gen, no glare, 4th gens use smooth plastic reflectors.

that's with the stock glass lens off and the glare shield taken off(little thing that scres inside infront of the bulb)

i believe that is the main problem. it makes perfect sense in my head lol.

Last edited:

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow, thats horrible. Mine is nothing like that at all. I'll take some pics tonight while i'm out.
Obviously, you have a retrofit................................................

AllanR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm curious what a P&P kit looks like in a set of cheapo or TYC projectors (ebay style...)

pyropunker25

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got 8k in stock headlights and its fine...i got both highs and lows and can tell the difference...ya they scatter a lil bit but not as much as ur saying.....

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm curious what a P&P kit looks like in a set of cheapo or TYC projectors (ebay style...)
It won't be nearly as good as HID projectors, and they will make your car look ugly. :(

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm already committed to HIDs (group buy) but was wondering how much of a difference I'll see...I'm just got Philip Xtreme +80 right now

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the headlight itself is what matters, it is not the HID kit making the glare!!
obviously, but that's what is wrong with hid kits: the whole point is to fit them into your stock halogen housings which is WRONG because the halogen housings ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR HID BULBS. therefore, you all get stupid scatter and massive amounts of glare... :roll:

-Luke