Sorry guys...I sold my Si!

Mad Dog Tannen

Registered VIP
I sold my civic on the first. Let me explain why...

A couple months ago I sucked up water into my engine in my 1999 Si. It blew the head gasket and the oil rings in the No.2 piston. I replaced the head gasket thinking that was the only problem. It was still burning oil when I put it all back together. So I considered building a mean NA engine for it sense I had to take it apart to fix the rings anyway. I figured it would cost me about 4k for 250+ hp with only engine. That wasn't worth it. So i decided that to go fast I needed to do it the old fashined way...big engine + little car = fast. So I sold my car for $3000 ( payed $1500 for it). I am going to pu that money into another project. I am going to swap a LS1 into a RX7.

But don't worry I still like Civics and I am not going anywhere!

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why would you swap an LS1 into an Rx7... rotary > Ls1 any day...

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Who are you?

iBeast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
post pics of the rx7.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was slapping the guy who thought the rotary was BETTER.

LS1>Apex seal eater.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
apex seal for the eternal loss, no denying that fact. just waiting for mymryloss to come in here and s**t on my parade with some story of how some internet unicorn group of fd owners got a million miles out of their cars boosting a bazillion hp daily driven. (but until i see it i say f**k the apex sealing rx7 ;))

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
...who the hell is this guy?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
But don't worry I still like Civics and I am not going anywhere!
Oh thank god!!! I was worried we would lose you after your super long stay of....3 weeks :lol:

Plenty of people here dont drive Civic's. I didnt drive one for about a year, still stayed. In all seriousness though, LS1 is not a cheap engine. The fab work you will have to do is not cheap. The custom wiring you will likely have to do wont be cheap. Unless you could buy premade mounts and wiring harnesses....which would in turn cost EVEN MORE money on top of an already expensive swap.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LS1 swap isn't that expensive given the power it makes and will continue to reliably make for a long time.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not expensive given the power it makes is like saying B-series engines make decent power for their size. B-series are still weak compared to real sized engines, and an LS1 is still expensive, ESPECIALLY to swap into a car it doesn't belong in.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you want a quick japanese car on the cheap side, do a 5.0L V8 in a miata.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not expensive given the power it makes is like saying B-series engines make decent power for their size. B-series are still weak compared to real sized engines, and an LS1 is still expensive, ESPECIALLY to swap into a car it doesn't belong in.
Not for their cost.

The LS1 swap isn't that expensive.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The cheapest way to get a complete LS1 swap is to get a totaled '98-'02 Camaro/Firebird. Even then, you are talking about $2500 minimum for one with at least 100k miles. The '98 and some '99 models had a higher tendency to leak oil, so he would want at least a year 2000 which will up the price...and on top of that they are hard to come by. So youre looking at ~$3500 for a decently reliable complete swap which will be hard to find. Then he has to most likely pay to get towed to his house if he doesnt have a trailer. Then he has to factor in the cost of a plug and play installation kit, which I cant find for less than $1500 for just the mounting hardware....not including electrical. And on top of that he needs a FD shell in good condition. If someone has the money....yea it would be worth it to commit blasphemy. But for someone who just got out of the Honda game, I have to assume that this budget is over his head.