Spare tire relocation ek3 sedan

Aaron_Edwards

I am currently thinking of relocation my spare tire to under the car. by cutting out the wheel and welding it back inverted has ever been done before and what is the down side to doing this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
you would be loosing the rear stock factory tow hook

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm curious to know why you'd want to do this? I don't think it's ever done before, or at least I've never heard of it. Seems like too much work for what it actually does since it doesn't add more space to your trunk at all, and also a good amount of custom work.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm curious to know why you'd want to do this? I don't think it's ever done before, or at least I've never heard of it. Seems like too much work for what it actually does since it doesn't add more space to your trunk at all, and also a good amount of custom work.
also for poeple as as low as we are if we got a flat you might not even be able to get to it lol i might still able to since my rear is cut

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
also for poeple as as low as we are if we got a flat you might not even be able to get to it lol i might still able to since my rear is cut
Oh yeah I didn't think of that hahaha I wouldn't be able to get it out at all! It'd probably scrap so much it'd fall off lmfao.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont thinks its been done on a Civic because theres no benefit to it, nor is there clearance for it what with the gas tank. Whats the point of even considering this? Are you planning a custom subwoofer install?

dancam

Registered VIP
I am currently thinking of relocation my spare tire to under the car. by cutting out the wheel and welding it back inverted has ever been done before and what is the down side to doing this.

If you tell us why it might motivate some helpful responses =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron_Edwards

I was planning on putting two 15 inch subs but i wont be able to access the spare tire.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you build 2 custom boxes against the seats that fit side by side, it should allow for partial access to the spare by creating a new pivot edge on the spare tire lid.

Thats if you stick to using 15s which are overkill in a Civic and will not breathe properly in the size of trunk, thus theyll underperform. Itd be smart to go no bigger than two 12s or 1 higher end JL sub.

Do understand that subs only perform well with the proper cu.ft. box, proper amp power, & sufficient breathing space. 15s need alot of space to function properly. Theyre overkill in sealed trunks unless you have an old pre-1970 sedan that could hold 4 bodies.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
If you build 2 custom boxes against the seats that fit side by side, it should allow for partial access to the spare by creating a new pivot edge on the spare tire lid.

Thats if you stick to using 15s which are overkill in a Civic and will not breathe properly in the size of trunk, thus theyll underperform. Itd be smart to go no bigger than two 12s or 1 higher end JL sub.

Do understand that subs only perform well with the proper cu.ft. box, proper amp power, & sufficient breathing space. 15s need alot of space to function properly. Theyre overkill in sealed trunks unless you have an old pre-1970 sedan that could hold 4 bodies.
single 15s is enough to shatter your rear window

i ave 2 6x9 3 ways in the back and they hit hard like i have 12in sub in my trunk lol my trunk rattles a lot and can kinda see my rear windows vibrate

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I was planning on putting two 15 inch subs but i wont be able to access the spare tire.

Like everyone said, 15s might be overkill, I have 2 10" Pioneer 800RMS each and they BANG already. You can fit 12" for sure in the trunk of a civic. 15" might be pushing it.
WIth my dual 10" I can access the spare just fine. In case of emergency, you can just disconnect your subs, take them out for a moment, then take the spare out. Plus.. how many flats are you planning on having per year? lololol

Aaron_Edwards

Thank you for your input

It's an audio project I am doing to highlight the work I do in my shop. We were going to put two 15s cause it has not been done here (Trinidad ). So I have decided to build a 4th order 36 X 16 X 18 and ported through the rear deck. The sub would be one Hds300 from sound qubed. Powered by a Mmats 3000.1

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What does "build a 4th order 36 X 16 X 18" mean???

dancam

Registered VIP
Mount subs to roof facing down through the roof and build a watertight aerodynamic box around them. Vents facing back to keep water out. Then you can hear it better too and it would be very unique!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's an audio project I am doing to highlight the work I do in my shop.
Then don't do two 15's then!
You want to highlight the quality and work of your shop, at least have the foresight to use speakers that will perform well in that space.
Show that you not only have the knowledge to physically build a custom setup, but you have the knowledge to put together a quality sound system.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Then don't do two 15's then!
You want to highlight the quality and work of your shop, at least have the foresight to use speakers that will perform well in that space.
Show that you not only have the knowledge to physically build a custom setup, but you have the knowledge to put together a quality sound system.
I definitely agree. Unfortunately for him, it may come down to the demographic he's after. Is it the fool who errantly thinks bigger is better? Does he want to educate potential customers with a well planned quality build that out performs the raw & bigger & (not) better build? Judging by his choice of a Sound Qubed Hds300 15" sub and a Mmats 3000.1 amp, its the typical fool because that is not quality equipment.

If it were me, I'd build a 12" JL based system cleanly ported through the rear deck using a stealthy 6x9 grill, giving the impression of only a third deck speaker, while building sleek shaped sub enclosures that leave easy access to the spare. That shows people that they can have a badass build that looks like it belongs there while not losing any functionality. In my opinion, that speaks more positively about your shop because any shop can force feed two 15's into a trunk so I don't see the draw to make someone want to go to your place over another.

Of course, I don't the audio scene in Trinidad so your choice will come down to what helps you pay the bills. Either way, quality always speaks volumes.