Square vs round

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any one have anything to say about the kicker square subs? i thought about getting one but something just doesn't feel right. like it would make sense for the square sub would have four pressure points and that the round ones wouldnt have any. any thoughts?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They actually play and perform pretty good. Their sound quality is pretty good as well. go for 'em man..!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you get one...get the L7 instead of the L5...I have had both, and the L7 was loud...was very impressed...

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well it will be in a regular cab pickup so loudness is not so much what im looking for. more so clearness and quality because i also love my mids and highs.

d16yb-96

5+ Year Member
They are fairly decent, but by far my favorite subs are the rockford fosgate power series T1 or T2's. I Have 2 P2's though and their bass is decent. My brother has the kicker L5's and they are about eqivalent to mine.

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
ok think of it this way, look at the ridges on the side of a solo-baric, they have to do that just so the sub can move........the kicker L7 only has 600 Watts RMS at 4-Ohms, or you could go get a Memphis mojo 12" woofer for $50.00 less and they run 1000 watts RMS at 2- ohms which is alot more efficient woofer. Also, they come with a 3 year swap out warranty if you get them from a memphis dealer, which means not having to send it to the factory if you blow it, they give you another right there in the store for 3 years. Kicker sucks man, they really do.....they are the most overrated car stereo brand out there. We built a system for a guy at my shop, one mojo 12" woofer in a 1993 chevy s10 extended cab built the best box possible for it, he is hitting 166 db with the doors closed and windows up! go do that with an L7 in the same kind of truck.............subs are meant to move and perform.......not look pretty

Schenck

5+ Year Member
Well my brother has a cobalt ss/sc and he has two 12" MTX 5500 Thunders with a kicker 750.1 amp and an eclipse amp bolted to the back of the rear seats. but u can not turn up any music in his car bc of how loud it is. they are circular subs in a sub box. the amount of sound that comes out of them is insurmountable. i think that there really isn't much of a difference between circular and square subs. these subs hit so hard u easily get a headache in the car after about 10 minutes of having the volume up have way. So i dont believe there is a difference but in my opinion u can't go wrong with these subs

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i changed my mind because i dont have as much room as i thought...looks like im getting a 10" kicker compVT

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ive heard the square subs have more cone area which makes it louder :thumbs up

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member

not to be a d**k, but that is very false. Go take the specs off of any kicker products, then get the specs from something like memphis or DD, and compare them. Kicker sucks........ive been in the game for 15 years and they havent changed a bit

Schenck

5+ Year Member
Yea kicker's don't put out as much as people think they do, they are still very good subs but if ur looking for the loudest u gotta look around for wats going to fit ur car and u may be surprised when u c that kicker is not number 1

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the square ones.....working perfect
sold them because i was broke =( i miss them so much

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
not to be a d**k, but that is very false. Go take the specs off of any kicker products, then get the specs from something like memphis or DD, and compare them. Kicker sucks........ive been in the game for 15 years and they havent changed a bit
its cool .....its just something that i heard.....so whatever lol :thumbs up

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i changed my mind because i dont have as much room as i thought...looks like im getting a 10" kicker compVT
unless anyone else knows of a super shallow good quality 10" sub. and when i say shallow i mean like, 5" depth max

slvercvc

5+ Year Member
i just got a 10 in L5 and put it in a ported MTX box and its super smooth. the sound quality is superb. just be forewarned, the L5 is designed for mainly low levels of bass so even when tuned properly, the highest bass notes will fade. but overall, the square subs have more surface area and therfore push more airspace creating more bass power.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you are looking for a shallow woofer try a p3shallow

I am not a fan of fosgate but they work fairly well

as for kicker

I would rather take a dump on their entire line than put it in my car

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
i just got a 10 in L5 and put it in a ported MTX box and its super smooth. the sound quality is superb. just be forewarned, the L5 is designed for mainly low levels of bass so even when tuned properly, the highest bass notes will fade. but overall, the square subs have more surface area and therfore push more airspace creating more bass power.

dude surface area has nothing to do with airspace nor does it have anything to do with bass, bass is a frequency....and has nothing to do with surface area. DD has made an 8" woofer that has hit 155db's and there was a woofer made in orlando a few years back that had a 4 foot cone on it, and it only hit 136db's

good try though

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any one have anything to say about the kicker square subs? i thought about getting one but something just doesn't feel right. like it would make sense for the square sub would have four pressure points and that the round ones wouldnt have any. any thoughts?
very good sub

this is true

in 2006 kickers suspension, voice coil leads, venting, and frames were all changed.

in the 15 years that you have been doing this i would expect you to know something more than "look up the specs"

i HIGHLY doubt that youve been in the 12V game since you were 6 years old. im callin :bs:

dude surface area has nothing to do with airspace nor does it have anything to do with bass, bass is a frequency....and has nothing to do with surface area. DD has made an 8" woofer that has hit 155db's and there was a woofer made in orlando a few years back that had a 4 foot cone on it, and it only hit 136db's

good try though
again, youre way off base. the decibles that a subwoofer produces is a direct relation to the box thats been built for it. not the cone size.

base is frequency, you are correct. frequency is the movent of air, am i wrong? more surface area = more air movement. why do you think noone else makes a square subwoofer you ask? because kicker has a patent on the design. noone else can do it

or you could go get a Memphis mojo 12" woofer for $50.00 less and they run 1000 watts RMS at 2- ohms which is alot more efficient woofer. Also, they come with a 3 year swap out warranty if you get them from a memphis dealer, which means not having to send it to the factory if you blow it, they give you another right there in the store for 3 years. Kicker sucks man, they really do
lol.... memphis.... not knockin the brand at all.... but they come in a f**kin plastic basket. vs kickers solid cast aluminum basket. and kicker offers the same thing with the warranty. but its only a year. you dont have to send it to stillwater designs to get it replaced.

and if you wanna go one farther.... lets take a look @ the big SOLOX. its, cone, suspension, and coil are all replacable if something were to go bad.

take your so called 15 years of experience and go install some more walmart pioneer head units for your friends.