Stage 2 Camshaft with Y8 stock ecu?

jar25201

Like the title say's, I'm wondering if I can install a Crower Stage 2 camshaft into a stock p28 y8 manual ecu? The valve train has been upgraded too VTEC Single Spring, Titanium Retainers, Guides, and with new valves. Head has been port and polished, since money is low for awhile the intake and exhaust are practically stock other than being ported.

My goal is to do it right the first time, also thinking it would be better to keep the advantages of OBDII and make inspections easier. Lemme hear your input!! Especially you RonJ :lol:

Trekk

Registered VIP
Never done it on a civic, but I've built muscle cars for years. Most likely it will run, just not well. The tune is where you always make power.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol.. why not? explain yourself more. I'm also milling the head to raise compression ratio up some to around 10.25:1.
Why not was stated above. The car won't be tuned for that cam and compression bump. You could tear s**t up trying to run it with a stock ecu. At the most, it might run but it will run like crap.

jar25201

If that the case, then i would need to be able to tune the ecu? I have a stock P28 and no way to communicate with it. How would I go about doing this myself? I am totally new to this ecu programming/tuning so please be specific if can be.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If that the case, then i would need to be able to tune the ecu? I have a stock P28 and no way to communicate with it. How would I go about doing this myself? I am totally new to this ecu programming/tuning so please be specific if can be.
Have your p28 chipped (add a tuning program of your choice) by phearable.net or hondata (there are others as well) From there, you'll be able to connect your ecu via USB cable to a laptop or computer and utilize the tuning program you chose. The program will have loads of parameters that can be changed to maximize output or efficiency. It's not advised to do this tuning on your own. Take it to a professional with a dyno to have it done correctly.

Trekk

Registered VIP
You wont be able to tune it yourself.
Not with out hours of reading, something like Hondata and a wideband.

techavluis

Registered VIP
Use Hondata. You can google them easy and even call them as they have a few things to help you. I would say s300 (one of hondata computers on top of the p28) From there if you know a little bit then you can play around with the base maps that comes with the s300. If you don't know... don't even try! find a good tuner. (note, what you think is a good tuner may not be...)

jar25201

I should be able to install the camshaft along with a valve adjustment and test it with a close base timing of 12* correct? I don't want to install and smash crap.

I guess I will need to get the ECU chipped, whats the best place to get or DIY?

jar25201

That would be going obd1 if i use a s300 correct? I have OBDII setup... What could I hurt by installing the stage 2 camshaft with stock ecu?

I would like to stay OBDII for multiple reasons, inspections, better control (sensors), and most of all it is where the future is going, might as well do it right!

Trekk

Registered VIP
The engine it's self could be damaged.
If you have to ask these questions you shouldn't be installing a cam. It depends on the total setup, but you could be anywhere from too rich at idle to lean at WOT.

jar25201

If its that much of a problem then, what to do about when time comes for an inspection? I'm in no hurry so I am waiting until I have more details and parts.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For me, if my car isnt throwing a CEL then I pass inspection lol. Gotta love Texas.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That would be going obd1 if i use a s300 correct? I have OBDII setup... What could I hurt by installing the stage 2 camshaft with stock ecu?

I would like to stay OBDII for multiple reasons, inspections, better control (sensors), and most of all it is where the future is going, might as well do it right!
If its that much of a problem then, what to do about when time comes for an inspection? I'm in no hurry so I am waiting until I have more details and parts.
you will need to go obd1 in order to tune yours car like you have to in order to run the cam. you have NO other option. this is the right way to do it

as for inspection, well it kinda depends on state and county you are in. but you would either need to be emissions except, find a lick and stick to just throw stickers on, or remove the cam and put it back in.

or just do an obd2 engine swap and make more power and pass legally

techavluis

Registered VIP
Doing it right is OBD1, S300, And good tuner. Anything else would be doing it wrong or half ass.