Stick Shift Noobie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andychau

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I just started driving manual transmission in my new EM1 and I was wondering about some habits i've picked up. One habit i've adapted is to change gears really quick so that by the time that i'm going 20 mph im already in 5th gear. My question is, since im in 5th gear and going such low speeds is it bad to floor the car in 5th gear when the rpm is around 1000? The only way to pick up speed fast in that gear is to floor it. And also my other question is almost stalling out because of no gas bad? Because lets say im at stop and shifted to 2nd gear but didn't gas enough and the car keeps shaking...but doesn't end stalling because i press the clutch..is this bad? Thanks!

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you shouldn't be in 5th gear at 20mph. If you come to a complete stop don't start in 2nd gear. Thats why your car has 1st gear.

brunsonalec

5+ Year Member
sounds really dumb. just look up how to drive stick on youtube its not that hard. just do it properly and you will be fine. how old are you

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Being in a gear as high as 5th at only 1000RPM puts a lot of stress on your vehicle....

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How the hell are you even moving safely at 20 mph in 5th gear. I can't even imagine how bad your car is bogging down. I was always told bogging an engine that bad is never good for it. If you are going 20 you should only be in 2nd. There is no need to shift up that high and in my book it is unsafe. If you need to get out of the way of something in a hurry, there is no power to the engine as it is in a gear that is meant of highway speeds.

Honestly, if you are within the city there is NO reason for you to really be out of 3rd.

The reason that your car is stalling out is because you are starting off in too high of a gear.

Who the hell taught you how to drive manual?

Honestly? What is the reason for shifting all the way into 5th at 20mph?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You should be shifting anywhere between 2000 and 3000 RPM's in each gear for daily driving. For 4th to 5th, maybe around 2000-2500. And I (personally) don't really let RPM's go below 1500 in any gear. I downshift if that happens.

You can start in 2nd from a stop. But that's what 1st is for. Plus, I'd imagine it puts a lot of stress on your clutch after a while.

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to cruise in like 4th doing 25 with my old EM1.. they have really short gears. But all you do when you floor it in 5th at 20mph open up your throttle body and try to build engine speed. Your torsional springs in your clutch disc are being beat every time you stall your car/ cause it to buck.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think you should forget EVERYTHING you know about driving stick. its not hard at all. i learned in 1 afternoon. the rest is just getting more experience in your car. 20 mph in 5th gear?? that's madness:roll:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get up in those RPMs where theyre more useful. Just like was said above, rev to 3000 and shift for DD and youll have no problems.

andychau

5+ Year Member
sounds really dumb. just look up how to drive stick on youtube its not that hard. just do it properly and you will be fine. how old are you
fyi, im 19. and yes i've learned how to drive stick but i like to shift gears early to save gas..so my only question is if it is bad to be flooring the car in 5th gear while the rpms are around 1000-2000 because it seems that it's working hard in 5th gear trying to gain some speed but it can't because it's at such low rpm..why can't anyone just answer that?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
this is more of the answer i wanted, is this true?
Yes, and you're actually wasting gas being in that low of RPM's in 5th. Just to even accelerate a little bit you'd have to be harder on the gas.. AKA wasting more. If you want to try to save gas just throw it in neutral whenever you're on a hill and coast.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should be shifting anywhere between 2000 and 3000 RPM's in each gear for daily driving. For 4th to 5th, maybe around 2000-2500. And I (personally) don't really let RPM's go below 1500 in any gear. I downshift if that happens.

You can start in 2nd from a stop. But that's what 1st is for. Plus, I'd imagine it puts a lot of stress on your clutch after a while.
This is also what I recommend. When I'm driving strictly to save gas, I shift up so that I'm around 1500-2000 in the next gear, and never allow myself to go below 1500. You may think that you're saving gas by driving at a lower RPM, but your engine is so inefficient below 1500 that you're probably using more gas. Also, as others have said, driving at this low RPM causes a lot of stress on your engine, which is just going cost you hundreds in repairs, compared to the two dollars a tank you're trying to save by running your engine at such a low speed.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is also what I recommend. When I'm driving strictly to save gas, I shift up so that I'm around 1500-2000 in the next gear, and never allow myself to go below 1500. You may think that you're saving gas by driving at a lower RPM, but your engine is so inefficient below 1500 that you're probably using more gas. Also, as others have said, driving at this low RPM causes a lot of stress on your engine, which is just going cost you hundreds in repairs, compared to the two dollars a tank you're trying to save by running your engine at such a low speed.
:word: Civic's are already gas saver's anyways.

lol, this is sad. Try driving a stick without ruining your car.
Try not being a pointless '09er.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why can't anyone just answer that?

At least 5 people did. Your just not listening. How many times does it need to be said?

You aren't saving gas by shifting up that high, I don't know who told you that. You are putting extra stress on the clutch by bucking it and you are stressing the motor out by bogging it down.

Malfa

5+ Year Member
and just to add

you have the wrong car. em1s are meant to be driven. drive it normal while saving gas and drive up to 3k-3500. or get a civic HX

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dude drive the car like it was DESIGNED to be driven. shift around 3k in every gear. what you're doing is only wearing out the clutch and tranny quicker and not saving any gas

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nar boss u bought honda yeh raz it every time. dont let your car struggle at low speeds in high gears. feel for the car bruv

Status
Not open for further replies.