The truth: D16 bolt-ons

9toes

5+ Year Member
i agree with child for sure. i just did pretty much exactly what he described and at the moment my gains are slim to none because i havnt gotten a tune yet and so far for all the mods ive done i could have boosted my car and made way more power for the same price.

money spent so far: $1500
thats without a tune.

cost of a greddy bolt on turbo kit: $1800

btenu69

honda d16 not so bad

ok. so 125 hp stock, but about 110 whp we'll say. get a good intake, headers, and full exhaust and you will get AT LEAST 10 more hp. so, you will have 120 whp. add a turbo and have 50+ more hp. so basically your car could easily be 170 whp stock. not to mention im pretty sure fwd has better take off than rwd, but still not close to awd. ya, u and every1 else can knock d series and single cams all day, but if you rebuild your engine completely (sleeves, piston, cam, etc.) rebuild your d16 you can really get quite a bit of hp. but go ahead and go with a b series, or swap whatever u want. not saying they're "better" just not as bad as people make them out to be.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. so 125 hp stock, but about 110 whp we'll say. get a good intake, headers, and full exhaust and you will get AT LEAST 10 more hp. so, you will have 120 whp. add a turbo and have 50+ more hp. so basically your car could easily be 170 whp stock. not to mention im pretty sure fwd has better take off than rwd, but still not close to awd. ya, u and every1 else can knock d series and single cams all day, but if you rebuild your engine completely (sleeves, piston, cam, etc.) rebuild your d16 you can really get quite a bit of hp. but go ahead and go with a b series, or swap whatever u want. not saying they're "better" just not as bad as people make them out to be.
wtf are you talking about? this thread hasn't been geared towards investing in a B-series or any swap. Simply stating the performance gains for your dollar on a D-series when investing in N/A parts, more specifically the basic intake, header, and exhaust combo.

also you cant add a turbo to N/A parts. Your intake becomes charge piping, the header is completely different as well....and it damn sure wouldn't be considered stock anymore.

Indy_Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Child laying down the law xD

also, fwd doesn't have better take off than rwd. when you go forward have you noticed your momentum swings back? Well, most of your cars weight shifts over your rear axle which causes slippage in front drive vehicles.

This thread is suppose to show gains of IHE on d series engines and why investing in name brand bolt-on parts for D series engines yields very low power to dollar spent. Yet it has become a home of useless info and flame wars of dohc vs sohc.

nikkorettracing

i had a stock d16y6 and i spent 1400 on a greddy turbo kit and and the bolt on wasnt working for me. maybe because my vtec was wired wrong and wasnt kicking in right so i had a dead spot between turbo spooling and vetc.... anyways i sold the turbo and did the basic cold air intake 2" exhaust with the headers and then went to work on the inners. cams pistons cam gear flywheel and stage 2 clutch. i like it way better than the turbo

Last edited:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I still think that boosting it would be the best bang for your buck.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WTF....is that really Petey? Posting? On ClubCivic?

enginater

I love this thread. I am a noob to this site and the search button is very visible to me. I haven't posted one question yet because nine times out of ten I can find the question already answered, you just have to actually look! I have been very up in the air about doing anything to my d16y8. I was half-assed looking for an exhaust, but I think this thread just helped me quit that search. I know exactly what is said about doing the 'out of the ordinary' and building the "D" into a beast, but there is also something very appealing about a k20a swap. Thanks to this thread I think I'm just going to not waste the time or money on the "D" bolt-ons, run it till it dies and just go all the way with a built k20a turbo swap.

enginater

I love this thread. I am a noob to this site and the search button is very visible to me. I haven't posted one question yet because nine times out of ten I can find the question already answered, you just have to actually look! I have been very up in the air about doing anything to my d16y8. I was half-assed looking for an exhaust, but I think this thread just helped me quit that search. I know exactly what is said about doing the 'out of the ordinary' and building the "D" into a beast, but there is also something very appealing about a k20a swap. Thanks to this thread I think I'm just going to not waste the time or money on the "D" bolt-ons, run it till it dies and just go all the way with a built k20a turbo swap.

Thanks again, this site is great, much civic love

V-lot.Ej1

My only fear about goin turbo is that my car is a DD I drive a good 3000 miles a month. Im just not sure what the turbo or sc will do to the reliability of my engine. Plus the car is so old I don't really think it's worth boosting. Idk I'm pretty much a noob iv only had my car for about 2 months.