Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
came across this today. thought i'd put it in this thread since its related

Scientists at the Gemini Observatory in Hilo, Hawaii, say they have spotted a gamma-ray burst that is about 13 billion light-years, or 76,400,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles, away from Earth. The scientists are calling it the most distant object ever seen in the universe. While NASA scientists say the discovery is certainly significant, because other astronomers have similar claims, they say it is the most distant stellar explosion spotted in the universe. The gamma-ray burst, called GRB 090423, is from a star that died when the universe was only 630 million years old, or less than 5 percent of its present age, according to NASA. The fading infrared afterglow of the burst appears in the center of this false-color image taken with the Gemini North Telescope in Hawaii.
(D. Fox and A. Cucchiara (Penn State Univ.) and E. Berger (Harvard Univ.)/Gemini Observatory/NSF/AURA, )

so if it took 13 billion light years for us to see this event, then the universe is at least 13 billion years old + age of this dead star :shock:

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nucking Futs!

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, TOO much space..................

and earth is the only habitable planet? Hell no. There's more f**kers out there.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I don't see why you people think thats "AMAZING"...
Im stunned by this comment. Everyone in the world should think this is amazing.

So, TOO much space..................

and earth is the only habitable planet? Hell no. There's more f**kers out there.
:word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw&eurl=http://thelaughingglassblower.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html&feature=player_embedded

youtube video about the hubble telescope focusing on one spot for 10 days...and what it saw

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What do you guys think is out there?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I love that question...

The possibilities are endless...regardless, I hope they are smarter than us
it'll be both ends of the spectrum, both more evolved and less evolved.

pyropunker25

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sick op... the thing that amazes me is, how amazing is it that we are just far enough from the sun and just close enough that our planet isnt a freezing ice land or a hot hell... its sick to see how small we are and if or galaxy is that small, maybe theres people or other things talking about the same thing, hell even blogging about it...

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i doubt we will find anything more evolved than methane eating microbs during the existence of mankind because we are so many millions-billions of light years from everywhere. the further and deeper we see into space the older the objects are that we see... so unfortunately everything out there is still really young and premature to our eyes even if as we speak a higher life form does exist. but i don't doubt that higher lifeforms do exist somewhere else, we just probably won't ever have contact with them. they are maybe looking at our planet and all they can see right now is a desolate fiery rock too cuz they see into our past and not our present

that's some crazy s**t to think about :shock:

Last edited:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ yeah you don't even have to be trippin to respect it :lol:

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I love that question...

The possibilities are endless...regardless, I hope they are smarter than us
Holy s**t! I just read his post on page three and was gonna say the exact same. Reminds me of the end of men in black when it zooms out of the solar system to being a marble.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I love thinking about this, mytholgical things, and deep sea stuffs whenever I'm high. It's hella trippy and fun!

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What do you guys think is out there?
Something so "out there" our brains can barely conceive it.. There absolutely HAS to be other lifeforms out there, we survive off of oxygen, "they" could survive off of methane or something of that nature..

If we are that small and we have all of this production of everything that WE see in life, why cant there be somewhere else like it, or something completely different that our minds wouldnt even know what to think.....

I love thinking about that stuff, possibilities are almost endless because unfortunately we, as humans, may never even find out...

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow that video makes me feel pointless :(

oh well. i'm home from work now so i guess i 'bate it for a few minutes

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Holy s**t! I just read his post on page three and was gonna say the exact same. Reminds me of the end of men in black when it zooms out of the solar system to being a marble.
and that's very possible. what if our entire universe is just the "void" between two atoms for a much larger species? what if the entire timespan of our universe (from big bang to big crunch) is less than a microsecond to these massive beings? there will always be smaller and bigger. it's all a matter of perspective.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Copy

save to documents

LOL

im sure we're just a pretty blue marble to somethings vision.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Copy

save to documents

LOL

im sure we're just a pretty blue marble to somethings vision.
that's an interesting point you bring up with this existance being something's vision, much like parallel dimensions composed of the intersections of different possibilities.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OMG STOP!!! I'm not even high and all this talk is TRIPPING ME OUT!!!

lolz. i love this s**t.