this is why i say death to SOHC

redej6

5+ Year Member
For a few hundred bucks less than a B-swap, I took my D16 and ran 13.2 on street tires, put down 220fwhp/200ft./lbs. on stock internals.

keep running on stock internals. and say bye bye:shock:

but 13.2 is bueno for a SOHC.. props to u

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
keep running on stock internals. and say bye bye:shock:

but 13.2 is bueno for a SOHC.. props to u
It's been fine for about 18 months now. When the time does come, a few hundred bucks and it'll be fixed...

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just go bseries and u will be set.. haha
I'm good. For what I've spent, I'm running 13.2, with 12's possible using slicks. For the same amount (a little more actually) I would be running around 2 seconds slower with a B. I'll pass...

redej6

5+ Year Member
but its still only a single cam. i dont care about spending money. I can pay just a little more as well and hit the 12's too. the money gap wont be that much of a diff.!!

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
but its still only a single cam. i dont care about spending money. I can pay just a little more as well and hit the 12's too. the money gap wont be that much of a diff.!!
Who cares if it still has a single cam in it. Having an extra cam doesn't give you magical powers.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who cares if it still has a single cam in it. Having an extra cam doesn't give you magical powers.
No kidding! The OP seems interested in spending money just for the sake of spending more money to have more parts. If money doesn't matter, why is he even running a B series? Seems like money IS an issue for him.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
my girls accord has a nice f23 in it. runs like a champ. sounds good too.
f-series are great sohcs... i'm particularly fond of the j-series myself

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'm somewhere around 150k on my y8 and its been really good to me. I push her to her limits and she's still going strong. I even take her up to the canyons a few times as well and shes still holding up good.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just go bseries and u will be set.. haha
Oh I get it, we are dealing with a typical fanboi with his typical bandwagon attitude here. OP Ignorance is bliss, lets ignore the last 8 pages of telling you that no motor is comparable when it comes to Hondas and that B VS D is a pointless debate that has been beaten down over the last ten years. I'm not sure what people in your "JDM land" tell you but a twin can does not make you "more JDM" than having a single cam. My God back in my racing days I would would have stabbed myself in the throat if I were to run your extremely sluggish all motor twin cam setup instead of my boosted single cam. And I've ran similar setups for over ten years. It is about preference, reliability and cost. Do you understand any of those three words? No, it does not mean run the s**t out a motor without proper maintenance, snapping the rods and crying about how everything else besides a twin cam is garbage on the internet. Do you see your level of ignorance yet? Understand the more you post, the more you make yourself sound childish, inexperienced and misinformed. God forbid if you posted this thread on H-T, I have no idea how the idiot mods on this thread is letting this one go.

redej6

5+ Year Member
Oh I get it, we are dealing with a typical fanboi with his typical bandwagon attitude here. OP Ignorance is bliss, lets ignore the last 8 pages of telling you that no motor is comparable when it comes to Hondas and that B VS D is a pointless debate that has been beaten down over the last ten years. I'm not sure what people in your "JDM land" tell you but a twin can does not make you "more JDM" than having a single cam. My God back in my racing days I would would have stabbed myself in the throat if I were to run your extremely sluggish all motor twin cam setup instead of my boosted single cam. And I've ran similar setups for over ten years. It is about preference, reliability and cost. Do you understand any of those three words? No, it does not mean run the s**t out a motor without proper maintenance, snapping the rods and crying about how everything else besides a twin cam is garbage on the internet. Do you see your level of ignorance yet? Understand the more you post, the more you make yourself sound childish, inexperienced and misinformed. God forbid if you posted this thread on H-T, I have no idea how the idiot mods on this thread is letting this one go.
you make no f**king sense. i also stated that the are a reliable motor as well, but performence wise IMO i think b-serience is better,also speaking from experience. so before u post up ur stupid pointless rants u might wanna READ some of my posts. You can read cant you?

do u SEE YOUR ignorance yet? And once again for your slow ass I posted this thread for some other members.

I never said that DOHC gives you magic powers! and i chose to run be-series. Its my build at the moment!!

I would never post on Honda tech.. to many worthless retards like you!!! so go ahead and take a few days to think about what u want to say back to me! BUT READ BEFORE YOU POST!

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you make no f**king sense. i also stated that the are a reliable motor as well, but performence wise IMO i think b-serience is better,also speaking from experience. so before u post up ur stupid pointless rants u might wanna READ some of my posts. You can read cant you?

do u SEE YOUR ignorance yet? And once again for your slow ass I posted this thread for some other members.

I never said that DOHC gives you magic powers! and i chose to run be-series. Its my build at the moment!!

I would never post on Honda tech.. to many worthless retards like you!!! so go ahead and take a few days to think about what u want to say back to me! BUT READ BEFORE YOU POST!
Dude, come on can't you at least punctuate a little? I'm not going into the grammar b.s because last time it got a little nasty but you seriously should try and make sense when you type things. Turbos statements are perfectly fine. I understood everything he said perfectly and I agree with him. The B series is not the end all of Honda Motors. They are great motors but so are D series. Just look at some of the turbo vitara setups out there to see some insanely fast civics. I also agree with turbo in that you probably have problems with single cams because you have no respect for them and beat them to death. B vs D vs K vs F it is all personal preference. But make no mistake that D series are not a weak link in the Honda motor line. You can take my Y8 with 200,000 miles on it as proof. =)

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude, come on can't you at least punctuate a little? I'm not going into the grammar b.s because last time it got a little nasty but you seriously should try and make sense when you type things. Turbos statements are perfectly fine. I understood everything he said perfectly and I agree with him. The B series is not the end all of Honda Motors. They are great motors but so are D series. Just look at some of the turbo vitara setups out there to see some insanely fast civics. I also agree with turbo in that you probably have problems with single cams because you have no respect for them and beat them to death. B vs D vs K vs F it is all personal preference. But make no mistake that D series are not a weak link in the Honda motor line. You can take my Y8 with 200,000 miles on it as proof. =)
Finally, someone who has some knowledge and intelligence. OP has no clue what Viatra setups are, nor any clue about "the strength" or potential of anything with less than two cams. You could post proof that single cams run 9's, and he'd still hold to his opinion.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Lets make a conclusion, shall we?

- Any Honda motor is reliable as long as it is well maintained.
- Any Honda motor will have performance gains once modified. Heavier mods are always required to maintain performance gains.
- Every motor has its weaknesses.
- No motor is never going to be better than the other.
- People have different preferences depending on their budget and goals.
- Preference is usually reflected of off the goal. If one is wanting to achieve 200HP under the cost of a swap, it can easily be done by modifying their existing setup. The goal is not to have the bigger better motor. Satisfaction is achieved once the goal is reached. The bigger the goal the more you are going to spend, you must research to what platform will suite you best.

99% of the 8 pages post that they disagree on your opinion about the weakness of single cams, therefore I understand why you are getting so angry and calling me names. If you do the right research, you will find out that your opinions about D series are quite false. I know it doesn't feel good to be called ignorant but lets just say I wouldn't have typed this much unless I could somehow open your mind a bit more to stop making such quick judgments. And I'm not going to even argue with you to why you think your NA B series would "blow the doors" off of my car, when you don't even know my setup. Not only do I not care, but because I find quotes like that immature, and because I have stopped racing all together.

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The B-series has more potential, obviously, I don't think anybody really doubts that.

What the OP and other people don't understand is that the D-series is more bang for the buck. The great majority of our Hondas came with and still have D-series motors. So, you can take your $2,500-$3,000 and get yourself a B-series, and still run 15-16 second 1/4s, or you can take the same money and make your D run 12-13 second quarters.

It's been a while, but I took part in this same discussion on another forum, in which I listed prices for everything in my build, and although I don't remember which forum it was on or the total, it was still several hundred dollars less than a B16 swap. I didn't get any magical deals either, I bought a new GReddy kit, new FMIC, new XTD clutch, new Fidanza flywheel, used DSM injectors, used GReddy BOV, new ARP studs, new Fel-Pro MLS head gasket, new Walbro fuel pump, new Hayame cat-back, new hi-flow cat, new Denso Iridium plugs, new MSD cap/coil/wires, new ES motor mount inserts, and a dyno tune. Use the few hundred bucks you save to buy an OBX LSD and/or slicks and you way ahead of a B-swap.

Sure, maybe a D-series on stock internals won't run on 12psi forever, but how cheap are D-series parts? DIRT CHEAP. Pennies on the dollar compared to B-series stuff, and from where I'm from, alot easier to find. You want to get into the internals on a D-series, so much cheaper than B-series. Guys running 400fwhp on $150 pistons and a single cam. Come on now...

If you've got the pockets, go get yourself a B16A/1/2, B18C/1, B18C5 or whatever. If you want to go fast for cheap, stick with your D-series...

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your going for speed, you can make both engines run great times.

if your going for reliability, both are very reliable.

if your your going for cheap, only one of those engines is.

bang for buck, d series all the way. if you have a b series just to say you have one, your a f**king retard.

redej6

5+ Year Member
Lets make a conclusion, shall we?

- Any Honda motor is reliable as long as it is well maintained.
- Any Honda motor will have performance gains once modified. Heavier mods are always required to maintain performance gains.
- Every motor has its weaknesses.
- No motor is never going to be better than the other.
- People have different preferences depending on their budget and goals.
- Preference is usually reflected of off the goal. If one is wanting to achieve 200HP under the cost of a swap, it can easily be done by modifying their existing setup. The goal is not to have the bigger better motor. Satisfaction is achieved once the goal is reached. The bigger the goal the more you are going to spend, you must research to what platform will suite you best.

99% of the 8 pages post that they disagree on your opinion about the weakness of single cams, therefore I understand why you are getting so angry and calling me names. If you do the right research, you will find out that your opinions about D series are quite false. I know it doesn't feel good to be called ignorant but lets just say I wouldn't have typed this much unless I could somehow open your mind a bit more to stop making such quick judgments. And I'm not going to even argue with you to why you think your NA B series would "blow the doors" off of my car, when you don't even know my setup. Not only do I not care, but because I find quotes like that immature, and because I have stopped racing all together.
DUDE,

I agree with everything that your saying, the novel you just wrote above is cool. I never said that I would blow your doors. Like you said I dont know your set up. you dont know mine! I was talking about a stock single cam. But that doesnt matter. Once again i said that sohc are good motor's but imo i prefer bseries. I know how to take care of my cars and motors.

Im not getting mad that 99% of the people on here dont agree with me., in fact im not mad at all. every person has there opinion. I can care less if it was 500 pages of people for the SOHC. I have a very open mind, so dont you worry!!