tinting tailights without paint

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I stopped reading after post#10.... it just got boring.... no offense...

OP, eBay has some pre-cut overlay 'tint'. I believe its called Laminex. I used it on my fogs and it was a pain to install them but I like the result. When I bought it, it came with a squeegy thing to take air bubbles out and detailed instructions. Basically its super easy but time consuming if you wanna do a good job w/o air bubbles and perfectly aligned. A blowdryer or a heat gun may be usefull as well, thou you gotta be more cautious with the heat gun.

Peace!

lilROOKZ

EJh8ONIT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alot of other forums of different cars do this type of stuff because theres not too much aftermarket support for their rides except for the s**t everyone calls RICE. LEDS, Neons, outrageous wings, ____________________<<add your ricey part here

Since there alot of mods for our beloved civics, we have transformed past the rice of other cars to make ours genuine and stand out from the other cars out there.
AGREED

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
I stopped reading after post#10.... it just got boring.... no offense...

OP, eBay has some pre-cut overlay 'tint'. I believe its called Laminex. I used it on my fogs and it was a pain to install them but I like the result. When I bought it, it came with a squeegy thing to take air bubbles out and detailed instructions. Basically its super easy but time consuming if you wanna do a good job w/o air bubbles and perfectly aligned. A blowdryer or a heat gun may be usefull as well, thou you gotta be more cautious with the heat gun.

Peace!
My sister in law did that to her Jetta (the pre-cut tint) and it looked good until they pealed off.

You might be able to go to an business that tints and see if they can do it? just a thought. good luck. post a picture with the finished product. (its on my list to do)

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ya well i bought some tint today. if i get around to it tomorrow illl get it done and post pics.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya well i bought some tint today. if i get around to it tomorrow illl get it done and post pics.
Hey man, I bought that stuff on Ebay the pre-cut film for my Trailblazer's headlights to do a smoked looked.... Took it to my window tint guy he put it on for me for free and spent at least an hr trying to get it right, and this guy is GOOD at tinting....Has been at the tint shop here for yrs.. And it still came out like cr** he said he would never use that stuff again... I am sure something small and flat with no curves would be FINE.... But anything that has a curve is not good... Window tint on tails just doesn't seem like a good idea IMO... But hey post some pics and lets see it... yeah the rice thing is stupid, if someone doesn't like it and its a Civic it's rice... Yes Altezza's and Stupid stuff not installed correctly is rice... Agreed... but smoked tails are sick....

VHT Nightshades is Amazing stuff... And if you FOLLOW the directs, use soapy water, clean the tails, rinse welll... Then I used a cleaning product for paint that is in a spray can to remove oils and greasy stuff from the base... Then used a tac cloth to get all the dust off... Then sprayed a few coats until i got it the way I wanted...

This is my Buddy's Genesis I did with VHT and it won best of show at a huge show here in CO.

Good Luck..

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
vht nightshades at pep boys spray on tint clean your lights then sand them a little spray a layer on then sand spray another layer on then spray a coat of clear and your set

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vht nightshades at pep boys spray on tint clean your lights then sand them a little spray a layer on then sand spray another layer on then spray a coat of clear and your set
I don't recommend sanding them or using clear coat. I have done 5 sets of Full Tails so far, the first set sanded and clear coated and they were not the greatest. I did my buddy's Toyota 4Runner tails, trailblazers tails, a set of Civic Tails, then did a 1st gen Eclipse Tails and then the Genesis, and the 4runner looked bad... The others with NO sanding and No Clear coat have been on for a yr now with no problems, still shinny and look great!

*edit* the problem with sanding is that this stuff is so thin that you will see every scratch from the paper... It's just not worth it...

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think a very light tint can look good, too dark is tacky IMO

cycleguy83

5+ Year Member
just use regular window tint. that precut stuff isent any good. u can see on You-Tube how do it if ur curious. the good stuff with the window film tint is u can always take it off, if u mess up or get tired of it. i tinted just the whites of my tails and looks great

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If i did it i'd prolly get 3M vinyl to withstand the weather better, window tint is designed to be on the inside not outside.....

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I think this is two very good examples... Both look SICK... And they aren't TOO dark...

r_becca92

5+ Year Member
what color is your car?
and dont go too dark otherwise u will have cops on ur ass.
i got em, and cops love to tell me
"its not against the law, but u really shouldnt do that"

jus be careful

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what color is your car?
and dont go too dark otherwise u will have cops on ur ass.
i got em, and cops love to tell me
"its not against the law, but u really shouldnt do that"

jus be careful
Depends on the state. Here in CO it is illegal. But if you do it right, at night they won't be able to tell if the lights are still bright... I know the Covers you can buy that used to be really popular are too dark...