Tips for jogging?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So tonight, at 2AM, for the first time in my life, I went jogging. I only went around my block which is about 3/4 mile - mile. First was downhill for about 1/4 mill, then flat for another 1/4, and then uphill for another 1/4-1/2. I ran until the uphill part. Walked for roughly 50 feet, tried running the rest but couldn't, so walked another 50 or so, then ran the rest all the way up back to my front door.

It was the biggest work out I've done in a long time :rolf:. I'm really not in shape at all but I figured I should start at some point. My legs are about to f**king fall off. I'm so tired.

Any tips when doing this? Like breathing, how fast I should run, etc. *hint*hint*wink*wink @ Joe lol.

Busta3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Best time to run is in the morning, take a banana or gatorade before going, the pace of your run should depend on what you want to accomplish. If you want to just burn calories don't change your pace, if you want to burn fat run in intervals (fast for two mins, then slow down for two mins etc). Use running shoes and stretch before and after running. Also try to run for at least 25 minutes.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I drink a lot of water anyways. Is that good enough? All I drink is water. No soda or anything. Rarely do I have it.

And all I want to do is build stamina and get my heart healthier lol. Whatever that is called. So I guess burn calories. I jogged a consistent speed the whole time.

And what shoes would you recommend? Cross training? Or actual jogging shoes. And should they be comfy? Tight around my feet? Slightly loose?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
have an mp3 player on you, and run at a gym so you have chicks to look at

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ :haha: :rolf:.

I need to buy an iPod. Even a shuffle will make me happy. But yeah music would've definitely helped. I was focusing too much on trying not to loose my rhythm, etc.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
music is the biggest motivator you can ever have. Also, sometimes I run with a friend but its hard to find someone motivated or can keep up. The first half dozen or so times you go out, you need to try to find a breathing pattern so you wont be gasping for air or tiring yourself out by breathing.

Do you have bad knees? if so, run on dirt or a rubber track and field track. If not, just run on the street. Start off small.. dont try to run a million miles the first time out.

Running at a gym ftl.. there's nothing like running outside imo. To me, running on a treadmill is nothing like running outside.

How fast should you run? Its up to you. Start off slow, and work your way up to a pace that's comfortable for YOU.

...and btw, I run late at night too.. I usually go at midnight or so. I hate doing anything in the morning lol..

as far as shoes, I have some old Reeboks I run in. I dont even know the name of them, but they're made so that they kinda "promote" forward motion, if that makes sense. I wear them "snugly"...

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
iPod def. helps, keeps you focused and pumps you up...breathe through your nose and out your mouth and if you can try to find a more scenic route, that helps :thumbs up

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
when you run, don't think about the running... a majority of the time, running is more of a mental strength compared to physical strength. It takes a strong mind to be able to widthstand pain and loss of energy. I run 2-3 miles eveyr other day when i can.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
music is the biggest motivator you can ever have. Also, sometimes I run with a friend but its hard to find someone motivated or can keep up. The first half dozen or so times you go out, you need to try to find a breathing pattern so you wont be gasping for air or tiring yourself out by breathing.

Do you have bad knees? if so, run on dirt or a rubber track and field track. If not, just run on the street. Start off small.. dont try to run a million miles the first time out.

Running at a gym ftl.. there's nothing like running outside imo. To me, running on a treadmill is nothing like running outside.

How fast should you run? Its up to you. Start off slow, and work your way up to a pace that's comfortable for YOU.

...and btw, I run late at night too.. I usually go at midnight or so. I hate doing anything in the morning lol..

as far as shoes, I have some old Reeboks I run in. I dont even know the name of them, but they're made so that they kinda "promote" forward motion, if that makes sense. I wear them "snugly"...
Yeah my friend who runs a lot tells me running with someone is a lot easier and "comfortable".

And my knees are eh..sorta...bad. Like every morning when I wake up or when I sit down for a long period of time, I can crack my knees. Loud too.

iPod def. helps, keeps you focused and pumps you up...breathe through your nose and out your mouth and if you can try to find a more scenic route, that helps :thumbs up
Thanks for the tip.

when you run, don't think about the running... a majority of the time, running is more of a mental strength compared to physical strength. It takes a strong mind to be able to widthstand pain and loss of energy. I run 2-3 miles eveyr other day when i can.
Yeah I really needed music. I kept thinking about running while I was running and kept thinking about not loosing my rhythm, etc. Thinking about buying a used shuffle or something.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, not thinking about the fact that you're actually running and ignoring the lactic acid building in your legs also helps :thumbup:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:rolf: yeah I tried getting my mind off it. I just started to look around at houses and stuff and think about random stuff. It helped a bit but at that point, I was really tired and that was when I started walking / jogging on and off coming up the hill.

Civicalized

5+ Year Member
As a Marine, I have to run a lot. The shortest run we do is three miles. I absolutely hate running though, but still have no choice. A few things ive learned in the past two years are: Always hydrate. Drink a liter of water just before bed, but dont chug it, it will just past right through you. The right shoes make all the difference. I have gone on a few 5 mile runs wearing BBall shoes, and i end up with horrible shin splints. Concrete = bad news. I f**ked up my knee about a week ago from sprinting on concrete. try to run on an offroad path or something. Find out what type of breathig works for you. i usually take in a breath for two steps, then exhale for three. You want to get into a rythem with your breathing, making sure you are doing an odd number with your inhale/exhale (ie, dont take two in, two out.) Music helps me think about more pleasent things than running. I cant think of much else right now... If running is too hard at first, start riding a bike for a few miles. i did a pretty easy 12 mile ride the other day, but i was feeling it in th morning. Once that gets too easy, or boring, start running. start small. maybe a mile. then two. three. Before i shipped to boot camp, i ran to running cadences, that also helped me. gets you in that rythem

wiggi

sold his civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i run varsity cross country at our school, so runnings a big part of me

If you want to improve your speed, set a workout. Mine goes like this:

Monday- Long run
Tuesday- Speed work
Wednesday- Hill repeats
Thursday- Easy run with Sprints
Friday- Off, team dinners
Saturday- Race day, 5k
Sunday- off

Thats my workout, but i do it for sport. I jog in the winter for fun. Sidewalks are the worst thing to run on, no give so they will hurt your knees more. Pavement has a little give, not much. We do a majority of our running on grass because its softer.

A big thing right now is to stay hydrated. We run around 5pm, so its so hot. But make a course so you can get some water every once and while

Music is the best thing to take, i hate how we can't have any music at practice

As for shoes, i always go to a running shop. They look at your old shoes, and figure out the perfect shoe for you. I'm not a big fan of like Finish line for running shoes, where you just pick out the coolest looking ones. I get a pro to fit me for comfort.

Hope some of this helped

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^you guys have it easy then, how many miles a week do you average?

As far as the OP, just work up gradually, go slow and set small goals each time you run. try to run a little further each time without stopping. Run every day, you will get pretty sore for a while but every day you take off sets you back 2. Basic breathing strategy says breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My goal right now is to be able run what I ran last night without stopping which is about a mile or so. The last bit of the run is uphill though so I guess it's a little bigger goal than I want it to be. But my house is up on a hill so no matter where I go, I have to run uphill on a road.

I tried finding a breathing rhythm last night but it was just too hard. I'm not in shape at all lol. I tried breathing in through my nose, and exhaling every 2 and 3 steps but found it too hard. I ran out of breath lol. And that was going at a slow pace since I've never jogged before. I have to breathe constantly. I guess I'll eventually be able to get a rhythm going after doing this for a while.

And I got about 7 hours of sleep and my legs aren't sore. Slightly since I could've used more sleep but not bad at all.

Thanks for all the tips guys :thumbs up.

Civicalized

5+ Year Member
^you guys have it easy then, how many miles a week do you average?
Me or Wiggi? Because if its me, we did a 5 mile run throught the woods in quantico Marine base, in boots and uts. (boots and cammi bottoms) it was wet, hilly, and there were obstacles. not easy at all. it was actually an officers trainng course. if any officers read this, it waas the Ecourse at camp barrett.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i meant Wiggi, a 5 mile run isn't too bad but what you guys do isn't just running I understand that

Busta3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah music is a definitely a plus, stick to running shoes and if you just wanna run to get healthy run at a steady pace for a minimum of 25 minutes. Switch it up every once in a while so you won't get used to it.