XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sequential is what i was planning on. i know it will be a complicated challenge. but thats the point. i want it to be a lot of hard custom work to power this car down the road a little better. with a better sound. and really i just want some more power to run it around a track. a race track with more than a few different turns. my only other factor that's stopping me is that im thinking i might as well do a k20 swap with a small/medium turbocharger. what do you guys think. should be much easier to find turbo parts and accesories right?
A lot of work for a little performance? Not worth it IMO.

Do some research -- before you even think about what size turbo you need, set a power goal. Be realistic. You want a track car, so having the highest HP car won't help you much if your suspension setup sucks. IMO, find a manual car or do an auto-to-manual swap. Keep in mind it's way more than just finding a new transmission and swapping it in. Pedals, ECU, shift linkage, reverse light wiring, etc just to name a couple more things. I wouldn't even consider turbo with the stock auto tranny.

After you have your power goal, set a budget. Again, be realistic. Cheap, fast, reliable... you can only pick two. Stay way from eBay turbo's, because even though people will tell you they've had no problems with them -- more than not there are problems. I'd set at least $500 aside for tuning ALONE. You want it to be reliable, right? (I recommend choosing reliable as one of your two choices, because if it's not reliable it ends up not being cheap, either :lol:)

If you go the K-swap / turbo route, you'll be paying a fat penny. Here's a parts list for the swap alone:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=60512

Before anything, and I can't emphasize this enough, research! I spent months researching before I purchased anything lol.

Good luck though! :thumbs up

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
s*** a decent k swap will have more power then a stock internal d series can handle
ya but for the price of a k swap you can have a fully built d motor with a quality turbo making twice as much as that k would make stock.i say if you want 300hp or less just stay single turbo d series, a 300hp setup will have a little lag but not a whole lot.there are a few things you can help to increase spool time a little to: manual boost controller, thermal coating the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing on the turbo, thermal wrap over the coating, and turbo blankets.

im thinking with all those put together you could get the turbo to spool sooner by 300-500 rpm. another thing that helps if your planing on going to the track alot would be launch control or anti lag ( launch control is easier on the turbo if your car is a dd), this can get you into boost before you even launch off the line. mine only gets me to 1 psi but i have seen people making 10lbs and higher

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
ya but for the price of a k swap you can have a fully built d motor with a quality turbo making twice as much as that k would make stock.i say if you want 300hp or less just stay single turbo d series, a 300hp setup will have a little lag but not a whole lot.there are a few things you can help to increase spool time a little to: manual boost controller, thermal coating the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing on the turbo, thermal wrap over the coating, and turbo blankets.

im thinking with all those put together you could get the turbo to spool sooner by 300-500 rpm. another thing that helps if your planing on going to the track alot would be launch control or anti lag ( launch control is easier on the turbo if your car is a dd), this can get you into boost before you even launch off the line. mine only gets me to 1 psi but i have seen people making 10lbs and higher
He isn't going to build his own bottom end......

Price of parts+build +swap+turbo setup+kpro for maybe 400whp single slammer

or

Swap+turbo setup+kpro for easily 500whp k20 or even k24 (which is dirt cheap)

On a related note, this is a stock internal turbo d series discussion. K20 is still a better route IMO for what he wants to do. Just as much power, stronger bottom end, might be better on gas too.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He isn't going to build his own bottom end......

Price of parts+build +swap+turbo setup+kpro for maybe 400whp single slammer
your looking at $1,000 for pistons and rods at the max for off the shelf parts, turbo setup for a good quality one your looking at $2,500-3,000 so thats $4,000 total to have a d series making 500hp or less.where can you get a full k swap with ecu wiring axles and a tranny that makes 300hp or more for less than or equal to $4,000.

i like swaps but personally i will probably never do a swap unless i absolutely have no other choice and i just upgrade the motor while im at it, im a fan of working with what you have

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
your looking at $1,000 for pistons and rods at the max for off the shelf parts, turbo setup for a good quality one your looking at $2,500-3,000 so thats $4,000 total to have a d series making 500hp or less.where can you get a full k swap with ecu wiring axles and a tranny that makes 300hp or more for less than or equal to $4,000.

i like swaps but personally i will probably never do a swap unless i absolutely have no other choice and i just upgrade the motor while im at it, im a fan of working with what you have
pistons/rods/headstuds/headgasket/sleeves (unless you feel lucky....punk :D) will be over 1k

Im not an expert on cams, but I haven't seen a d series on a stock port head with a stock cam make 500whp. So unless Im wrong, you have to take that into account

The best person to ask about that would be got_traction, speed factory actually did a cam shootout (bisi won of course)

not to mention clutch/pp upgrades and axles if you don't like replacing them often

again, we are not talking built d series vs stock k series

the debate was stock turbo d series vs stock k series

I don't have any issues with building or swapping or swapping and building, I don't give people s**t over doing what makes them happy. I have my ways and others have their's, simple as that.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Twin turbo is a horrible idea. It's 2013, we have the technology to make amazing power out of small frame turbos.