watch these videos, car won't start

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
oh and the check engine light is also on,
dumb question but how do i find out what the cel codes?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you know anyone that has an OBDII Reader? IF so do that... If not then see if your local parts store has a rental???

Are you sure your timing is correct?

RonJ

Banned
1) Double check the mechanical timing. Post some pictures.
2) Does the fuel pump prime?
3) Is there spark at the plugs?
4) Pull the CEL codes.

See relevant links in my signature.

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
one of the tensioner pulleys has a mark to leave it sitting at 1 o'clock
and camshaft sprocket has the arrow point up...maybe not
there any writes up on setting the timing?

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
1) Double check the mechanical timing. Post some pictures.
2) Does the fuel pump prime?
3) Is there spark at the plugs?
4) Pull the CEL codes.

See relevant links in my signature.

the fuel pump primes, ill have to check for spark-think there is, and i need to pull the CEL codes

RonJ

Banned
This is how the mechanical timing (cam and crank synchronized at TDC1) should look:

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn sure doesnt sound good.... Did you have the timing way off when you where cranking it before? Maybe dinged some valves if had it way off.

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
no, the timing was fine. wasnt off before i changed it.
i put the crankshaft pulley at TDC with the arrow facing up,
im thinking....
damn.

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What did you do to car before all of this? Replaced head gasket? timing belt or what not? Why did it not start from beginning?

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
What did you do to car before all of this? Replaced head gasket? timing belt or what not? Why did it not start from beginning?
the distributor was off and the spark plug wires werent on right,
sounds stupid i know but my friend put the wires on...should have double checked.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like somthing wrong with bearing either on waterpump or timing belt tentioner (sp?) The first videos sounded like the motor was flooded...but i guess you got that cleared up now. Also sounds like its needs a valve adjustment

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eeeekks.... should check work no matter what=) check twice do once or big problems:( Are you sure timing belt is tightened to specs? Are you sure that you had all the area clean around water pump area no bolts fell in?

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would not drive it if valves are out of adjustment to far:( Learned my lesson the hard way getting head rebuilt because of it. Just a questions traction when im accelerating around 2.5k-4.5k i get a whining if i am sitting still i dont get it? Could this be the water pump cause i dont think it has ever been replaced......

6thgenex

5+ Year Member
positive that no bolts fell in, im going to have to double check to see if its adjusted to specs