What could happen from Over reving? (9500+rpm)

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My buddy was driving my car.
And decided well we ended up racing these girls in a 330 BMW (hopeless I know)
Like a dumb ass he went from 3rd about 7000rpm into 2nd.... I saw the REV fly well OVER the max RPM on the dial. He immediately hit the clutch....

What damage could have happened? it seems to be running fine now.

1999 Civic si (American Ex) D16Y8 Engine
175km, manual, 2 door

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dont post wrongful information.

Check your valve adjustment, NOW. Do not drive the car again until you do (if something came loose, it WILL save your motor)

Your stock valve springs are NOT designed to work at the kind of RPM which likely means you floated valves and got VERY lucky they didnt hit the piston. If they did, you car would sound like a subaru and be making all sorts of valvetrain noise.

You also should check the timing, make sure the belt did not slip a tooth.

Expect your valves to have an excessive amount of play in them from hondas tolerance, definitely get in there with a feeler gauge and do a full adjustment.

Id say you got lucky this time... 3rd times a charm for not being so lucky, and you're already 1 down on it lol. I found this out the hard way.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks PhntmSk8r for the post.

I am looking here for Valve Adjustment
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1305086
If they were loose wouldnt i hear the clicking when I turn on the engine?

PS: How did you know i did this once before? lol...

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is exactly why i never let any of my friends drive my civic or try to learn to drive stick on it. just so you know, stepping down on the clutch didnt really do anything. the motor still revved just as high, it just wasnt connected to the transmission. so definately check out all the stuff phantomsk8er told you

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Friend did that in his supercharged Dakota. Blew a headgasket.. soo check spark plugs and check to see if there's any coolant in the oil, or if you're burning any coolant?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i did that once with my ls. tach went to around 9k. scared the f**k out of me but didnt mess up anything. my buddy also had it happen to his boosted ls, didnt hurt anything on his either but def check it out. you dont want to be driving around with it damaged and end up messing up more s**t

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks PhntmSk8r for the post.

I am looking here for Valve Adjustment
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1305086
If they were loose wouldnt i hear the clicking when I turn on the engine?

PS: How did you know i did this once before? lol...
You could, but its dependent on how loose they are. It never hurts to check, and as others have mentioned, check your plugs/coolant/oil as well.

I didnt know you had done it once before lol... I was just saying that the first 2 times i did it to my car, the motor was OK. The 3rd time, not so much.

When you do that to your internals (which are not designed to do that), you weaken them by putting so much stress on them. Which over time they'll get weaker, and weaker (abnormally fast).

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We obviously Lost lol

I turned on the car and tried to listen to noises and heard nothing out of the ordinary. I don't have a feeler gauge and everything is closed labor day. I'll wait till tomorrow to ask my mechanic.
I opened the oil cap and checked the first valve it feels secure.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bent valves but I see some people already posted it lol

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
Beat on it some more and you'll most likely develope a lovely case of rodknock and/or embed those valves into your pistons. Good luck, I'd make your friend pay for the damage he indefinitely caused.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Honda motor after 13K+ rpm rev:

Luckily that didn't happen to your friend, but you do need to check valve adjustment and timing though...

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine did that at 7500rpm LOL

only took 1 cylinder, but it took it gooooood.

Oh, heres SOME of the piston:

OP, i hope this gives you motivation to check everything out thoroughly lol :P

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
.... Jesus..
Made appointment with my mechanic! lol

how much would he charge?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I honestly don't understand how people go from 3rd to 2nd. I really truly don't. It's STRAIGHT down to 4th. Why the hell are you pulling on the shifter towards you when going into 4th?

A lot can potentially happen. I wouldn't even trust driving on that motor anymore. Even if it was only for a split second.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I honestly don't understand how people go from 3rd to 2nd. I really truly don't. It's STRAIGHT down to 4th. Why the hell are you pulling on the shifter towards you when going into 4th?

A lot can potentially happen. I wouldn't even trust driving on that motor anymore. Even if it was only for a split second.

It's quite simple really.

People have a natural tendency to shift with their elbow facing down, and their wrist turned 90*.

IE: take your right in hand in your computer chair, and set it up on the arm, then turn your palm to face your left side of your body. Turn ONLY your hand. Now pretend to grab a shift knob, and move your arm back/forth. You'll notice that the way the elbow pivots as you pull back your hand comes towards you. Plus, with civics that have arm rests, you either have to move your elbow away from your body, or towards your body so you dont smash it into the arm rest. Which in most cases, it's more comfortable for people to move it away from their body.

The proper way is to start in this position (for 1st/2nd), then flip your hand, so your palm is facing away from your body for 3rd/4th. Set up your hand like this, then make the movement as if you were shifting. You'll notice your arm moves more straight back/forward with less shoulder movement, and really only elbow movement. ;)

It's easy to make this mistake when you're banging gears hard. The 3rd (and final) time i mis-shifted my car i was no lift shifting and had it down to where it would only hit the rev limiter once between gears. Needless to say, when you're shifting that fast it's kind of hard to notice until you f**ked up, until it's too late lol

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
PhntmSk8r Thanks for the lesson in Ergonomics.

My mechanic listened to my engined and reved it, checked it quickly and told me not to worry. a used D series engine is about 400$ and 2hours to install.... then went to tell me he has a one guy that does 14psi boost and he's changed his engine about once a year from blowing them up..lol

EkcivicJDMstyle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
buddy of mine did that in an ep3 and bent ever vlave in the head. he went ahead and baught a k20a2