What else do I need besides the set of Function & Forms

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha well the F&Fs have had their problems too. s**t happens.. you were correct though lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That sucks...sorry to hear. But s**t happens. Could happen to any product. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's invincible.

You went with 300/250? I have SLIGHTLY higher and I hate how soft it is lol. I want to be able to jump on my car and have it barely move. Like 500/600, maybe slightly higher. And yeah, as a daily ;).

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No i'm sorry I meant 350/250. The 350/250 were on sale at the time. I would've gotten the 350/350 but progress doesn't provide a warranty if you daily drive on that setup. anyways they are a little soft, but I used to drive a ranger so I'm used to bouncy. ;)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im interested to see how quickly they honor their warranty. I hate having to ship products off for whatever reason.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I got the 350/250 setup too. Felt it would be best since I haul my son around town every other day. Honestly I was expecting a little stiffer up front, but I'm still happy with it. It's definitely not a boring ride, and the springs are hard enough to keep the car from bottoming out over potholes at highway speeds. I'm really pleased with the ride overall.

Question: Does anybody know if it's alright to have the spring lose tension(can move freely between the top hat and lower perch) when the load of the car is removed? As I mentioned before, my front end is apparently crooked from side to side, so I was forced to set one perch way higher than the other to achieve a level and symmetric ride height... this causes the spring on one side(where the perch is lower) to move freely at full droop. Is this a potential problem on the road? or is this normal?

Sorry for thread jacking.

EDIT: after some reading I think I'm good. If anyone's interested, since you guys may notice similar issues, since we have the same coilovers, this thread relieved some doubt I had about the safety of the spring play. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=456505&page=2

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i lift my car i can move all my spring up and down a legit like three inches lol you are fine. dont worry

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got the 350/250 setup too. Felt it would be best since I haul my son around town every other day. Honestly I was expecting a little stiffer up front, but I'm still happy with it. It's definitely not a boring ride, and it's hard enough to keep the car from bottoming out over potholes at highway speeds. I'm really pleased with the ride overall.

Question: Does anybody know if it's alright to have the spring lose tension(can move freely between the top hat and lower perch) when the load of the car is removed? As I mentioned before, my front end is apparently crooked from side to side, so I was forced to set one perch way higher than the other to achieve a level and symmetric ride height... this causes the spring on one side(where the perch is lower) to move freely at full droop. Is this a potential problem on the road? or is this normal?

Sorry for thread jacking.

EDIT: after some reading I think I'm good. If anyone's interested, since you guys may notice similar issues, since we have the same coilovers, this article relieved some doubt I had about the safety of the spring play. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=456505&page=2
haha you're not thread jacking don't worry about it. I had to set one of my front perches higher than the other one too. I set my front drivers side perch alot higher than the other to even it out. I hadn't noticed play in my springs though. I'll have to look at it.. But I guess its not a problem.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Goes to show any suspension is vulnerable to some defect. Looks like it's just a problem with the top seal. The true test is of the customer service and response, which I doubt there should be any problem with. With this happening from 2 people who purchased their suspension at around the same time, something could have happened in the manufacturing process. Who knows, maybe it's a noob builder lol. This doesn't deter me one bit from their products.

Decipher, that's normal. The shock just has more droop than the springs are tall so it just extends all the way. I've had my setup like that for I think 4+ years now and I've never had a problem with the spring moving around.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Goes to show any suspension is vulnerable to some defect. Looks like it's just a problem with the top seal. The true test is of the customer service and response, which I doubt there should be any problem with. With this happening from 2 people who purchased their suspension at around the same time, something could have happened in the manufacturing process. Who knows, maybe it's a noob builder lol. This doesn't deter me one bit from their products.

Decipher, that's normal. The shock just has more droop than the springs are tall so it just extends all the way. I've had my setup like that for I think 4+ years now and I've never had a problem with the spring moving around.
Yeah I have no beef with progress at all. I don't really regret buying them. There is always gonna be a couple bad ones here and there... I just hope the next ones are fine and that I can get them soon.

Decipher

Registered VIP
when i lift my car i can move all my spring up and down a legit like three inches lol you are fine. dont worry
Yea, I mean, if you think about it, even if you hit a bump that gets the weight off of the spring enough to potentially loosen the pressure, the shock wont extend quicker than the vehicle will drop back down onto the spring again, so in essence the shock will keep the spring held in place. I hadn't thought about that.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, I mean, if you think about it, even if you hit a bump that gets the weight off of the spring enough to potentially loosen the pressure, the shock wont extend quicker than the vehicle will drop back down onto the spring again, so in essence the shock will keep the spring held in place. I hadn't thought about that.
i get hangtime in my car like everyday and im fine lol there isnt much side to side movement they can make

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
having the spring lose its tension like that would be bad in a true race situation because you'd bounce around once the weight is back on the spring. On a DD basis it wont hurt a thing.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Goes to show any suspension is vulnerable to some defect. The true test is of the customer service and response
if only more people understood this and thought this way from day one...:cool:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all manufacturing will have its defects, especially mass manufacturing like this that arent made one by one with special attention

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you guys use to tighten the top nut of the coilover? I didn't have an impact gun so I held the shock with a pliers and tightened the top nut. Because I did that there are a couple really small marks on the shock rod. One of Progress's policies is that if there are any markings on the shock rod, they won't replace the faulty shock. How do you guys tighten the top nut without the shock rod moving?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you guys use to tighten the top nut of the coilover? I didn't have an impact gun so I held the shock with a pliers and tightened the top nut. Because I did that there are a couple really small marks on the shock rod. One of Progress's policies is that if there are any markings on the shock rod, they won't replace the faulty shock. How do you guys tighten the top nut without the shock rod moving?
yikes, not a good idea holding the shaft with pliers. Any marks, nicks, or imperfections on the shaft can cause internal damage to the shock. This is why Progress won't honor the warranty if they see damage like that.

I stole Deciphers picture since it is the most clear and defining picture of the complete set.

Notice at the very top of the shaft there is a box(circled in red)? It looks like Progress provides a tool(circled in red) that goes into the box. You are supposed to hold that tool in that box while you tighten the top nut by hand with a box end wrench.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ohhh ok. man I wish I knew that. I could've f**ked up the shock myself then. the marks are really small though... so idk. Thanks for the help civexspeedy.

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
I did this too. But i put a towel around the pliers and there are no scratches