what is your career now and what did you want to be

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I currently work as a part time cashier at heb (big Texas grocery store) and have been going to school part time for business management but I'm taking this fall semester off and going to be working my ass off saving money and then next spring semester I'm taking the first step into becoming a fire fighter by enrolling in emt training
Have you looked into what kind of demand there is in your area? Being a firefighter is a great career but I know around here it's extremely difficult to get hired full-time. Around here there are about 100-150 guys testing for each department with maybe 1 or 2 hires per year.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I went from studying computers, to cars, to general liberal arts, to stopping school, to working at a landscaping and party house (both PT), to working in a stockroom, and now I'll be back in the kitchen at a grocery store. My dream career is in the music biznass. I wanna sing, compose/write, perform, etc. I've also considered acting/theater/modeling but I ain't that good looking and I've never acted before lol. But photography is also a huge interest if I could afford the gear. Yeah...I'm all over the place.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aircraft Hydraulic Mechanic in the Air Force. Ultimately i would like to be a pilot and then become an adventure seeker.
How is that? I want to get into some type of mechanics job in the air force reserve, and after college move onto automobile mechanic, but am not really sure what field I should get in when I enlist.

I work currently at a grocery store. Hopefully getting out and working fulltime this summer.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I currently work as a part time cashier at heb (big Texas grocery store) and have been going to school part time for business management but I'm taking this fall semester off and going to be working my ass off saving money and then next spring semester I'm taking the first step into becoming a fire fighter by enrolling in emt training
What do you want to save money for? I would highly recommend AGAINST taking a semester off. You can save money while going to school.

Same with working at HEB. I stack fruits and vegetables in the produce department. I just started working there and over all its pretty cool. Im working out a lot and I get paid $10/hr starting which isnt too bad in Texas.
I got fired from Radio Shack mid February but im really trying to get into AT&T as a sales rep. Ive been having trouble but a friend told me if I move back to CA he can get me a position.

Overall, im not happy with my current stand point in life, im not even going to school. Almost 24 working part time stacking groceries.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wanted to drive indy kart for the longest time growing up. after high school i wanted to open my own shop. obviously neither happened. now im lead builder for jerr dan wreckers and carriers at a heavy diesel repair shop, and when thats slow i do repairs for used wreckers and carriers as well as diesel repair on semi tractors.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a junior in college pursuing a dual major in accounting and business admin. I work part time and will be graduating next spring. Hoping to find a job in cost/internal accounting.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you looked into what kind of demand there is in your area? Being a firefighter is a great career but I know around here it's extremely difficult to get hired full-time. Around here there are about 100-150 guys testing for each department with maybe 1 or 2 hires per year.
From what I've looked into the San Antonio fire is kinda hard to get into because of the difficulty of the test and the physical part of the test but there are several outlaying suburbs that hire more readily. Plus there are several volunteer fire departments that once I become a paramedic I'm going to be looking into, to see what kind of "internship" or something like that they have

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was in the military then got out and got a degree in criminal law. Currently work for the Department of Defense but wouldnt mind getting into something else because having an office job drives me insane.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Shift supervisor at a blow molding plant, 52k a year @ 23 with no degree, I think Im doing okay. Finish my business admin. degree, next 5 years have my own plant. After that we'll see.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shift supervisor at a blow molding plant, 52k a year @ 23 with no degree, I think Im doing okay. Finish my business admin. degree, next 5 years have my own plant. After that we'll see.
wow thats pretty impressive for no degree. is that a union job?
what will the pay be once you become plant manager?
i'm just trying to figure out what the pay limit is in an industry like that if you don't mind me asking

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was in the military then got out and got a degree in criminal law. Currently work for the Department of Defense but wouldnt mind getting into something else because having an office job drives me insane.
Why did I think you actually worked at SpeedFactory or another race shop?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not an employee of SF, but am apart of the racing operations. I also help out around the shop when im not working my "real" job

Shinta

5+ Year Member
I wanted to be a zoologist and travel the world. Hopeful to find and name a new species. But got married life changed and I am now a lab tech at the medical center here in Houston. Love my job hate the people.....

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
wow thats pretty impressive for no degree. is that a union job?
what will the pay be once you become plant manager?
i'm just trying to figure out what the pay limit is in an industry like that if you don't mind me asking
No union, Im not a fan of them. Thats based on the fact on the mandatory OT I work (roughly 60 hours a week). Plant managers salary depends on the complexity of the plant and experience. My old man was the plant manager at my current plant while I worked on the other side of the river in AR. The highest paid plant manager that Im aware of is right at 140k, but he has been in that plant for 20 years and plant manager for 12 or so if I remember right, and his plant is just water and dairy bottles(easy to run). My plant runs dozens of bottles and we change over machines several times a week, much more complex and a PITA to run.

1HondaParts

5+ Year Member
Honda Internet parts manager. Graduated from school with a multimedia graphic design degree, using every bit of it.
Laid back job I can't complain, money is very nice. Hours are terrible, 70+ hours a week.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a graphic designer. I work for a pretty small agency with fairly big clients. It's a great work environment, sometimes stressful but not usually, we have dogs at work everyday and get to drink beer so it's pretty cool.