What kind of swap for dd auto hatch?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey as the title says I want to swap a motor into my civic hatch its auto but I don't care I want to keep it like that the car will see some auto x runs but nothing major it will still been driven daily. I was thinking of a k23 turbo since it comes stock turbo and auto in the acura rdx. But not sure how possible it would be but is there any other ideas?? Thanks

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow, i used to be sationed in tampa...... sorry.

if you have the funds, i say k20 supercharged. Instant boost, no spooling or lag. Or even b18 supercharged. i think an RDX-T motor would be more hassle, and u'll probably want to upgrade the turbo stuff anyways. I plan on doin some auto-x in the future too, with a bit of bi-monthly drag racing. Kind of good for both. that my 2 cents

EJ8DM

JDM User
5+ Year Member
u might need a huge bank account to run a k23 turbo.... i believe, a rdx are awd, so first of all... i may be wrong, but not many people run awd auto crossing,
2nd. its gonna cost an arm and a leg to convert it awd..
3rd. i think you should do a built single cam...
possibly mini me swap... jdm d15 vtec, or d16y8 super charged, w/ possibly a y8 automatic transmission...

just my thoughts but, i wouldnt reccomend making an auto into an auto x car

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just my thoughts but, i wouldnt reccomend making an auto into an auto x car
:word: Manuals are much faster. A manual swap is inexpensive and well documented, so I would highly recommend it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the stock torque converter only handle like 200HP? :what:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i recommend going with a full swap and manual tranny. no b-series vtec motor came with an auto tranny (that i know of) so that's not an option. the base rsx had a k20a3 motor with automatic option, but it didnt exactly make much power either - 160hp. you might could do a k20a2 motor with k20a3 tranny but who knows how it would hold up. you definitely couldnt add any power adders without risking the tranny. with a new clutch and half-axles a stock k20a2 tranny can probably hold 400+hp without issues

basically what i'm trying to point out is trying to do an automatic complete swap would not only be a hassle, but probably require significant custom work since it's such an uncommon mod. go with a manual b-series, h-series, or k-series swap and you'll be much happier in the end

Last edited:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, if you are determined to keep it auto, don't bother with anything more than a minime

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly, if you are determined to keep it auto, don't bother with anything more than a minime
says the guy with a minime avatar image :rolf:

but speakith teh trufus you sir do well

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOLz i didnt catch that.. my .02 is the same.. K series to me is all bling/ alot of $$ where a good B series can walk a K.. but, if money is no object, do what you want.

prodigy803

5+ Year Member
adding to this I wanted to upgrade mine to, so you guys say swapping from auto to manual is inexpensive, how "inexpensive" are we talking about?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well the only reason I wanted to keep it an auto is I wanted to be the guy people would say s**t I got beat by an auto lol. And I wouldn't leave the tranny stock I would upgrade the internals so it can hold and transfer power while still being reliable. And I thought the h22 in the preludes came in auto as well? And only b series that came with autos are some crv ls rs gs etc. But it does look like I would have to swap to manual I just wanted to build a sick auto lol.

And I was thinking maybe a base model rsx with auto motor then super charge it and build the tranny but where would I have to go to build an auto tranny for performance?

And what parts would I need to do the manual swap? And how much money would it cost?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am going to start off by doing the mini me swap then I'll see what I can do later on with this car cause I rather keep it auto since I don't want to go thru the headache of converting it to manual.

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
Others have already said this but going from auto to manual is really not all that hard to do. If you don't need the auto tranny then I say go for the manual swap. You'll have so much more options available to you this way not to mention you'll be able to truly tap into the car's potential.

To add if this is your daily driver I wouldn't mess with it too much. Reliability trumps going fast in my book.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
adding to this I wanted to upgrade mine to, so you guys say swapping from auto to manual is inexpensive, how "inexpensive" are we talking about?
Umm, I forget the estimated price tag. I feel like it's $400-800 or so, but don't quote me on that. There's someone on here who's done a couple, and has a very good thread. Search around and see if you can find it.

Well the only reason I wanted to keep it an auto is I wanted to be the guy people would say s**t I got beat by an auto lol.
You might still get quite a bit of satisfaction beating people with a Civic.

I am going to start off by doing the mini me swap then I'll see what I can do later on with this car cause I rather keep it auto since I don't want to go thru the headache of converting it to manual.
Well if you're planning for an engine swap, a mini-me swap doesn't make any sense. It just switching parts that you're going to switch again. I think your best options are to either do the mini-me swap and then do only bolt-ons from there (intake, exhaust, headers, etc.), or to do a manual swap (or swap to manual while swapping the engine), then whatever power you want.

Just saying, while swapping to manual may be somewhat difficult, IMO swapping an engine or doing any method of forced induction is even more difficult.

If you stick to the auto and try make it fast, you're not going to have much help on here, simply because almost nobody does it. So if you're trying to make your auto actually fast, you're going to have a lot to learn, very few people will have had experience with it.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tru I guess I'll have to do a manual swap another question I want to do four discs but I don't care for the 5 lug I know will need to get parts from an ex with discs but what do I need or not need to do it?

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For your rear disc, go to hmotorsonline. The guy there is really helpful, has everything you need for rear disc, and very good pricing.

As for auto tranny, you dont want to go auto if your gonna auto-x. Manual gives you the option to be in the gear you need for greatest hp/torque, your gonna want that coming out of curves........ its beneficial in the long run.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tru I guess I'll have to do a manual swap another question I want to do four discs but I don't care for the 5 lug I know will need to get parts from an ex with discs but what do I need or not need to do it?
To my knowledge, no EX has rear discs. You can, however, get the parts from an Si, Integra, and more. Use the search function in the top right corner, there are many threads on rear disc swaps.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To my knowledge, no EX has rear discs. You can, however, get the parts from an Si, Integra, and more. Use the search function in the top right corner, there are many threads on rear disc swaps.
Some EX models did have rear discs, not most some did. I can't give you the specs but I know my buddys 95 EX came with them

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some EX models did have rear discs, not most some did. I can't give you the specs but I know my buddys 95 EX came with them
Well a '95 is a 5th gen... The 6th gen civics didn't come with rear discs on any EX.

This is a chart I just found:

1993 Civic EX Coupe:
Front disc/rear drum brakes: Standard

1993 Civic EX Sedan:
ABS brakes: Standard
4 wheel disc brakes: Standard

1994 Civic EX Coupe:
ABS brakes: Optional

1994 Civic EX Sedan:

1995 Civic EX Coupe:
4 wheel disc brakes: Optional

1995 Civic EX Sedan:
Brake assist: Standard

1996-2000 Civic EX Coupe:

1996-2000 Civic EX Sedan:

From www.cars.com

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
another motor idea:

get an auto b18b swap from a teg LS/GS, then you can do a vtec head conversion. your only real challenge would be picking an ecu to use and tuning it

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would go with a b30 or something, then add turbo.