What Really Grinds Your Gears?!?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Many of us have some pet peeves that annoy us much more than others. If you havent seen the "Grinds My Gears" skit on Family Guy then now would be the time to look it up to better understand this thread. I figured this may be a fun way to share our annoyances & see who else feels the same. I'll set some basic rules just to have some order.

1. Sarcasm is fine, but lets not directly insult any members here. :nono:No racism either. This thread is for fun.
2. Start each post with "You know What Really Grinds My Gears?"
3. State your pet peeve or list them if there are multiples.
4. Add a brief description, if needed or desired.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know What Really Grinds My Gears?

1. People who spell phonetically or colloquially instead of using proper words. Not everyone needs to write like a scholar, but basic English isn't difficult unless you're foreign or brain damaged.
1a. should of = should HAVE
1b. better then = better thAn
1c. There = THEIR or THEY'RE
1d. Your = You'RE
1e. Starting a sentence with "That said" when its actually "WITH that said"
** This list can go on & on. I'll probably add more later.

2. People who write in text language or abbreviate everything possible. You come off as complete lazy idiots! Age is no excuse for this either! Not every abbreviation has a singular meaning, nor does everyone care to remember them all. Spell, you lazy fool!

3. People who write complete posts without using punctuations. Occasionally forgetting a punctuation is understandable. However, an 80 word post with 1 period and limited capitalization is absurd. You're a lazy idiot.

4. Guys who wear their pants halfway down or below their @$$. You look like you're waiting for someone to come pull them down and f**k you in the @$$. Walking around, holding your pants up at the crotch while tripping on the leg slack makes you look absolutely foolish! If you ever wonder why the girls you meet are all stupid, its because only a fool would even speak to you. Dumb@$$! :slap:

And thats what really grinds my gears. :D

CO671

Registered VIP
It really pisses me off when certain people use too many larger words or intentionally try to show off their vocabulary. You don't have to be speaking all day with a higher level of speech. There's a difference with those who are simply knowledgeable, and those who just use a bunch of larger words to make themselves look smarter and higher than others. I'm not asking to dumb-down, I'm asking if you can fking conform to the general level of speech so we can all communicate easier. There are times that would be more appropriate for you to show off, perhaps in writing your college papers or being in your field of study... I know of a few people who do this and it's stupid, especially when they're trying to make conversation and wonder why nobody understands them. Professionalism vs Colloquialism, figure it out, be flexible with your communication.

The same goes into the car scene, we have our own language and it really bugs me when people are so specific on how EK is used. There's something called 'colloquialism', and if you want to educate people that EK is a vin, do that. EK has become embedded in the car scene so well that it simply refers to 96-00 Civics, get with the damn times.

Also, Honda enthusiasts who swear by OEM. The other day I posted 10mm push clips for grilles and bumpers because I have 200 of them by accident and asked if any locals wanted to purchase... 2 people replied asking if it was OEM and I rolled my eyes.... REALLY? A plastic fastener... You want OEM???? IT looks the f***ing same and holds the same damn function. I understand OEM may be better in some cases, but it's not always. Jeez, my hate for more honda enthusiasts is growing and this is why I'm slowly backing away to go to Subaru's for a while then come back with an Integra track build.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what really grinds my gears is when people say, I would go with a K series but everybody is going K series...I'll be different and just swap in a B series. As if B series is less abundant. :roll:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You know what really grinds my gears?

People driving under the speed limit
People who double park, unless it's super far away from everyone else
People driving slow in the fast lane
People who don't know how to merge or use a rotary (99% of people in Rochester have this problem)
Potholes
Speed bumps
Speed bumps with a pothole right after
Junk Mail
Slow computers
Getting my shoes wet
Bacon flavored vodka
Sarah Palin's voice
Grinding my gears, literally
Jaywalkers who think they own the road and make cars stop for them
People who follow me too closely. That's grounds for me instantly slowing down.
Getting plowed in
My buddy that always SLAMS on his brakes the instant a yellow light comes on when he has plenty of time to roll through it before it turns red
Holes in my socks
El Camino's
The one woman at Wendy's who always f***s up my order
The guy who orders 75 things in the drive-thru
Getting 4 month old moldy milk poured all over me
Bald tires in the snow
Gas prices again

Good for now.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It really pisses me off when certain people use too many larger words or intentionally try to show off their vocabulary. You don't have to be speaking all day with a higher level of speech. There's a difference with those who are simply knowledgeable, and those who just use a bunch of larger words to make themselves look smarter and higher than others. I'm not asking to dumb-down, I'm asking if you can fking conform to the general level of speech so we can all communicate easier. There are times that would be more appropriate for you to show off, perhaps in writing your college papers or being in your field of study... I know of a few people who do this and it's stupid, especially when they're trying to make conversation and wonder why nobody understands them. Professionalism vs Colloquialism, figure it out, be flexible with your communication.
I will agree on this. Some, like myself, just feel comfortable using certain applicable extended vocabulary. It just comes more natural to some than others. However, there are some fools who seem to study thesauruses and use unnecessary words as if it makes them seem smarter. If they only knew they come off more foolish. I will however add that some people keep speaking worse because too many allow the conformity instead of helping to encourage people to try their best. Laziness is one of the biggest issues slowly destroying society. Conforming to the weak instead of encouraging betterment.

The same goes into the car scene, we have our own language and it really bugs me when people are so specific on how EK is used. There's something called 'colloquialism', and if you want to educate people that EK is a vin, do that. EK has become embedded in the car scene so well that it simply refers to 96-00 Civics, get with the damn times.
Ha! I just had this issue with someone on a post a few weeks ago. Using general references & acronyms is fine but some people just get carried away with it. We're not all gear heads, which is why you should be humble and just ask the meaning of stuff you dont know. People shouldnt get bashed asking for knowledge.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Bacon flavored vodka
My buddy that always SLAMS on his brakes the instant a yellow light comes on when he has plenty of time to roll through it before it turns red
- Please tell me "Bacon Flavored Vodka" does not exist? That sounds awful!
- I hate " yellow light chicken sh*ts"! My Legend coupe was ruined due to one of these fools.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
- Please tell me "Bacon Flavored Vodka" does not exist? That sounds awful!
- I hate " yellow light chicken sh*ts"! My Legend coupe was ruined due to one of these fools.

Yessir. Bought it out of curiousity. Never ended up finishing it. It's horrendous.

And that sucks man. No bueno.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That actually sounds perfect for me, considering I love all things bacon. I might have to try that. Although vodka is disgusting to begin with. If I wanted to drink nail polish remover, I would've took my moms bottle.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That actually sounds perfect for me, considering I love all things bacon. I might have to try that. Although vodka is disgusting to begin with. If I wanted to drink nail polish remover, I would've took my moms bottle.
bacon flavored nail polish remover :smackself:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know what really grinds my gears? People that pretend like they know your financial situation and give you advise you didn't ask for, telling you what to do with your life. I work in a barbecue restaurant, bringing home under 500 dollars biweekly, and my fiancé works at the same place. She brings home under 400 biweekly. Since I'm a manager, my friends and family, that don't know my finances, try and tell me all the time that we should get a place of our own, but we would hardly be able to afford it. Neither of us have benefits, neither one of us can get sick days, or paid vacation time, etc. If one of us were to get sick, or injured, and be out of work for any length of time, we simply wouldn't have the income. We would be buried in debt from an unpreventable circumstance, because we simply weren't prepared. Once we get better jobs, we'll move out.

End rant. :lol:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just a forewarning. A thread like this has been made before, and it ended very poorly. No personal attacks are to be made in this thread.

It really grinds my gears when people get their gears ground about what grinds other peoples' gears. :lol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a forewarning. A thread like this has been made before, and it ended very poorly. No personal attacks are to be made in this thread.
I worried about that as well, which is why rule # 1 is as quoted below.
1. Sarcasm is fine, but lets not directly insult any members here. :nono:No racism either. This thread is for fun.
Lets hope those who comment keep it neutral.

It really grinds my gears when people get their gears ground about what grinds other peoples' gears. :lol:
Ha!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know what really grinds my gears? People that pretend like they know your financial situation and give you advise you didn't ask for, telling you what to do with your life. I work in a barbecue restaurant, bringing home under 500 dollars biweekly, and my fiancé works at the same place. She brings home under 400 biweekly. Since I'm a manager, my friends and family, that don't know my finances, try and tell me all the time that we should get a place of our own, but we would hardly be able to afford it. Neither of us have benefits, neither one of us can get sick days, or paid vacation time, etc. If one of us were to get sick, or injured, and be out of work for any length of time, we simply wouldn't have the income. We would be buried in debt from an unpreventable circumstance, because we simply weren't prepared. Once we get better jobs, we'll move out.

Man, all I can say is best of luck for you and the fiancee at improving your financial situation. Not everyone has it easy these days. Many who seem to be are worse off than they let be known. But if your fiancee loves you despite both being broke, then good for you. Fight forward together!

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bacon flavored nail polish remover :smackself:
Vodka tastes like nail polish remover. Adding bacon flavoring to it won't make it taste any better lol I like vodka in my OJ, you know in the morning with your eggs and toast?

What really grinds my gears is first and reverse before I bled my clutch lol. No but seriously, I hate people who can't freaking walk. You're pacing along fine and all of a sudden someone in front of you is super slow and you can't get around them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most of the things that XpL0d3r

People driving under the speed limit
People who double park, unless it's super far away from everyone else
People driving slow in the fast lane
Potholes
Speed bumps
Speed bumps with a pothole right after
Junk Mail
Slow computers
Getting my shoes wet
Grinding my gears, literally
Jaywalkers who think they own the road and make cars stop for them
People who follow me too closely. That's grounds for me instantly slowing down.
Holes in my socks
The guy who orders 75 things in the drive-thru
Gas prices again

Good for now.
We have a lot in common :thumbs up

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

I can relate to this one. I'm working on my Ph D. As such, everybody hears Ph D, and believes I'm currently rich. Those who don't know I'm in a Ph D program, see that I'm 26 years old and figure that I've got a decent job already, not realizing that I've been in school for the past 8 years.

On a related note, it sucks to watch all of your friends moving forward with their lives (getting married, buying houses, etc.), while you have to wait until the end of school to make that happen. I know everything is going to right itself when I finish, but it's difficult feeling like you're behind in life.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can relate to this one. I'm working on my Ph D. As such, everybody hears Ph D, and believes I'm currently rich. Those who don't know I'm in a Ph D program, see that I'm 26 years old and figure that I've got a decent job already, not realizing that I've been in school for the past 8 years.

On a related note, it sucks to watch all of your friends moving forward with their lives (getting married, buying houses, etc.), while you have to wait until the end of school to make that happen. I know everything is going to right itself when I finish, but it's difficult feeling like you're behind in life.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

People who live in the midwest and still don't know how to drive in the snow. There are certainly people who are too reckless and think they are invincible in their four-wheel drive SUVs but the ones who really bother me are the ones who drive way too slow. I get that it's slippery but if you're going 15-20 mph on a road where the speed limit is 50, that's a problem. You're more likely to cause an accident behind you by doing that than if you just stay alert and go say 35.