WHATS THE BEST THING FOR A d17...TURBO OR ENGINE SWAP?

ex civic 05

5+ Year Member
I Have An 2005 Ex Civic And It Has Cold Air Intake, Headers, And I Wanna Know Whats The Next Best Thing For It To Gain More Hp.... Turbo? Engine Swap? More Modifications?? Or What Does Any One Recommend...
Thanks For All The Feed Back!!!! Really Appreciate It!!!!

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
engine swap. by far.

K series would be best bet.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well from my opinion and from what ive seen around, k-swap would be the better decision. Unless, you dont wanna throw down 5-7g on a whole new swap, and use a portion of that money to build up internals and then turbo charge it.

Pretty much, if you get the swap, youll probably be quicker on just stock motor but that would cost up to 7gs, and then you would start to build the K. Unlike using whats already there, d17a2 ehh, pretty slow... but its alright for the sohc. Since the new year is coming, more and more parts are available for the d17, such as.. TURBO !

*Oh and plus its your own car, build it to your desire ;P

LilJdmWannabe

CiViC uSeR
5+ Year Member
i would say K20A2 swap but its up to you.with that money you can pass the k20a2 but that with major mods tho..its really uo to you. ...k20 swap 7g....then that would be 220hp and you work from there on up again from fresh if you want more power..if you keep you D17 and turbo it..then you can pass the 220 with more mods and build the engine up to stand it match for the turbo it will hold..maybe one day it heart will be a Garrett ball-bearing turbo..who knows...with that money you put into a k20 swap you can make it happen..anything can happen as long you got the money to play the game the way you want it to ...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well, first of all... you're not going to get any extra horsepower from your D17 if you get a K series... you will no longer have a D17.

Now the best thing for your car is largely up to you. Both options are VERY good ones. The only problem is this.... money to power ratio - you're going to get much more bang for your buck if you turbo your d17.

However, you also may want to think about reliability and future planning. How much power are you looking for? That's something to decide before you decide to swap or turbo. I think we could help you a little more if you could tell us your goals for the car.

ex civic 05

5+ Year Member
Well Honestly Guys Thanks For All The Feed Back And Opinions!
A K20 Swap Is Expenssive From What I Know And Heard, And Turbo Is Less Expenssive But How Much Hp Will I Get If I Decide To Go With The Turbo??

Thanks Again For Aby Feed Back!!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
THE HP YOU GET FROM TURBO DEPENDS ON HOW GOOD YOU BUILD YOUR CAR. FROM WHAT I SEEN AROUND, SOMEWHAT BUILT INTERNALS, T3/T4 TURBO.. LOW BOOST.. YOUR PROBABLY LOOKING AT MAYBE 240-270 WHP..

NOT FOR SURE EXACTLY, BUT A GOOD BUDDY OF MINES IS PUSHING 326 WHP WITH T3/T4 AND FULLY BUILT HEAD.. SPENT NOMORE THAN 3Gs..

01RCivic

5+ Year Member
hey toneekay your friend is pushing 326 WHP on a D17 engine? Whats all the stuff he done to it?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sorry for all the caps ;P but my friend with the turbo d17, im not quite sure what everything he has on it but from what i remember he has crank, cams, rods, injectors and other stuff which i cant think off the top of my head, and i THINK he might have done some block work, but not too sure on that. 326 whp @ 12 psi.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
We can't tell you how much hp you'll make with a turbo. It's not like an intake where you slap it on and gain 5 hp. The amount of power you get from a turbocharger largely depends on your setup, how well your engine is built, and what you set the boost to. You can gain anywhere from 30hp - [insert number here] from a turbo setup depending on what you decide to do.

HotFireCivic04

4Dr Pimpin
5+ Year Member
Dont ever waste money on a K-swap!!! If you want a K series motor, go with an RSX or SI, otherwise dont waste all that money!

LilJdmWannabe

CiViC uSeR
5+ Year Member
HotFireCivic04 said:
Dont ever waste money on a K-swap!!! If you want a K series motor, go with an RSX or SI, otherwise dont waste all that money!

im saving my money up for a K-swap and it willl be a K20AR then turbo it and be a sleeeper after that.i just thought about swapping 2 days ago... i would put where my money worth it.and worth it wild:cool:

until then i will beat the shi3t out of my Dseries and run stock until im ready for swap andd turbo..:twisted:
6g for motor
2g to install
3/4g for turbo..
Nothing is better then being a sleeeper
money talks so lets walk those monkeys

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LilJdmWannabe said:
im saving my money up for a K-swap and it willl be a K20A2 then turbo it and be a sleeeper after that.i just thought about swapping 2 days ago... i would put where my money worth it.and worth it wild:cool:

until then i will beat the shi3t out of my Dseries and run stock until im ready for swap andd turbo..:twisted:
6g for motor
2g to install
3/4g for turbo..
Nothing is better then being a sleeeper
money talks so lets walk those monkeys
Remove shift knob, lift, get out of car, drive RSX under knob, swap complete! Cheaper and easier.:lol:

LilJdmWannabe

CiViC uSeR
5+ Year Member
pon55 said:
Remove shift knob, lift, get out of car, drive RSX under knob, swap complete! Cheaper and easier.:lol:
why would you want to do it the easy way and not doing it the hard way..Lmao

but anyways about the turbo....you talking about major hp gain there..the D series is small and only 127hp if he a ex if not then he only 109hp..tell me im wrong and i will go krazy..there just no way a turbo can do that..i can seee if its a stage from stage in turbo but just adding turbo and internal work a little..you think it gain that much? he can be close to 200-230whp.with internal works,,,show me dyno slips and i will :shock:until then ..I CALL BS for the 300+ hp

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would say that 300+ hp is very doable on the D17 with a proper turbo setup, internals work, and block work. I definitely would not call bs on that unless I had great proof that it wasnt done.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
I would say that 300+ hp is very doable on the D17 with a proper turbo setup, internals work, and block work. I definitely would not call bs on that unless I had great proof that it wasnt done.
Of all the turbo D17s I know, no one is even close to 300. So I would agree on bs without a dyno sheet to bck it up.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well you can all call it bs, i wouldnt have a reason for liein, plus it isnt my car so i wouldnt have sheets for it. just thought id bring it up since its the only d17 ive seen turboed.