when to shift

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello, Can anybody advice me? when you drag race you have to shift right? so how do you know when is the right time to shift from 1st to 2nd gear ans so on? ( kinda Stupid Question ) :(

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah... you dont need to shift when u race... you are only allowed to use 1st gear....

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but what if your car is modified? redline still?

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
figure out where your fuel cutoff is and go there with the tach.... every gear, every time....... just don't hit the limiter... that's VERY naughty.

i used to shift at 8000 when drag racing.... one day i tried 8200 and i ran .2 seconds faster and got my best time yet.

....... and then my tranny problems started

boi-alien

kouki factory.... soon
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
best way to determine is bring your car to a dyno, when your powerband starts falling off, right prior to that is a good place to shift cause you won't be making any more power after that... at least that's what i've done and it's yielded better results for me

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't bother shifting....I just let my first gear go till 300 mph

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by Bangin' HB
do what i do, put the car into D4 and floor it!!! :retard:
D4? are you talking about an automatic? i dont see D4 on my manual, all i see is my
1 3 5
|----|----|
2 4 R

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a stick shift, and a automatic....2 different shifters....not to mention 4 wheel drive

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by BioHazard
what motor you got?? but generally redline is a good place, after that your start losing power
My ride is a civic '96 sohc vtec. bolt-ons : k&n airfilter, headers, sports muff, hurricane plug wires, splitfire thats all. hope somebody has the same engine and knows where I could shift from 1st to all gears. Dyno is good problem is theres no dyno here where I live:cry:

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you REALLY being serious about WHEN TO SHIFT at the age of 23??? you car should come with a tach sense it's an EX... everytime you see the needle go to the redline..

*HINT*HINT* SHIFT *HINT*HINT*

and by the way, you have a 4cylinder engine, you only have ONE header....not headAARRZZZZ

CooLCiViC

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok do this rev up 2 5000 rpm put it on reverse let go of the cluch & florit its soooooooogoood duh wow man sick che yo, when to shift u dont have a car or drivers licence hey every car is diferente depending on cc of motor so jus try with diferent rpms til u get it right and faster of the line .

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by CooLCiViC
ok do this rev up 2 5000 rpm put it on reverse let go of the cluch & florit its soooooooogoood duh wow man sick che yo, when to shift u dont have a car or drivers licence hey every car is diferente depending on cc of motor so jus try with diferent rpms til u get it right and faster of the line .

are you f**kin drunk?? none of that s**t made sense

CooLCiViC

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shiat what your talking about i dont understand man u so smart gay u dont understand shiat SeanJohn1802