Where do you think the tuner scene is going?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
With everything going on, gas prices going up and down all the time etc, where do you think we will be in the next few years? Still swapping and breaking/building 20-15 year old civics and integras? Just seeing what everyone thinks it will be like in the future and if there is a future for it.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It'll never ever go away, if anything it'll cause it to go, in my opinion, people trying to find ways to improve gas mileage, while also improving performance.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
4x4 status will be the new trend

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It'll never go away. There are always people who are going to want fast cars. Look at drag cars. They don't even use pump gas. Once gas goes away period, then the tuner scene might start to fade.

With that being said, I don't think it's going in any direction. You will always get the hellaflush people, the 4x4 people, the clean "JDM" people, etc. Opinions exist for a reason. No one can tell anyone what looks good or bad, what to mod or not mod, what to drive or not drive. People decide for themselves.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I dont't know about everybody else, but I personally will never buy a new vehicle. They are becoming way too computerized with systems that depend on non-mechanical components that require highly sensitive tools and electronics just to make simple modifications. I'd like to retain the ability to work on my car. So, to me the scene won't be changing much since I'll be sticking with this generation (6th) or earlier for my future vehicles.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dont't know about everybody else, but I personally will never buy a new vehicle. They are becoming way too computerized with systems that depend on non-mechanical components that require highly sensitive tools and electronics just to make simple modifications. I'd like to retain the ability to work on my car. So, to me the scene won't be changing much since I'll be sticking with this generation (6th) or earlier for my future vehicles.
So in 30 years you'll still be driving a 2000 year vehicle or older?

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The cars I find to look the best are before '10 so for a good 15 years after that unless they come out with some sick cars im just going to stick with the new classics. besides in 15 years I will probably be driving a mini van anyways.

honda_skater

I agree with decipher, i think people will come around to buying the older cars for not only the gas mileage, but still have the satisfaction of modifying them on their own.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I will personally, yea. My wife on the other hand, probably not. So yea, i will own newer vehicles, just not ones that I'd aim to work on. I have a 2011 corolla, but that engine bay is so crammed full of hydraulics and sensors I would have to own my own shop to justify trying to work on it. It's just not the same as getting under a earlier model vehicle. I like being able to do stuff my self. Older vehicles are simpler.

Plus, it's cheaper to register an antique car in VA!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Plus, you can legally import cars from overseas once they are....25 years old is it? So everyone and their moms will probably be importing JDM Civics, Skylines, etc. at that point.

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I will personally, yea. My wife on the other hand, probably not. So yea, i will own newer vehicles, just not ones that I'd aim to work on. I have a 2011 corolla, but that engine bay is so crammed full of hydraulics and sensors I would have to own my own shop to justify trying to work on it. It's just not the same as getting under a earlier model vehicle. I like being able to do stuff my self. Older vehicles are simpler.

Plus, it's cheaper to register an antique car in VA!
your corolla has hydraulics? i do agree i like older cars better.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Still going to buy and import myself a Eunos Cosmo when I finish university.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Not to compare old muscle cars with Hondas but look at Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes and other classics. That are already 40 plus years old. People are working on and driving those everyday. If people are passionate about something it tends to live on.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Muscle cars gain value when they are sitting, though. Civics don't. They can be an actual investment over time where Civics lose value and you don't get any of the money back that you put into it.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Plus, you can legally import cars from overseas once they are....25 years old is it? So everyone and their moms will probably be importing JDM Civics, Skylines, etc. at that point.
Wait seriously?!?! I want an R34 lol.

Muscle cars gain value when they are sitting, though. Civics don't. They can be an actual investment over time where Civics lose value and you don't get any of the money back that you put into it.
And what do you mean dude, 15 year old GSR engines are still going for $3k on craigslist, these cars may not be worth much whole but there are always people looking for parts. Not to mention the fact that most of us don't care, I've spent a couple grand between my car and my build already and I could care less if I get that back, this car has taught me enough for it to be worth it lol

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is a good example of the old vs. new and what the value could be in 2021.

1969 Camaro - high nada ~$26000
2011 Camaro - retail ~$26000 before upgrades.

Take it forward 10 years and you will be sitting at say $12,500 for the '11, where the '69 will, (by appreciating guesses), be at about $32k. From what I can guess by google searches they seem to go up at a rate of $500-$600 a year right now.

That is kind of based on current times and the '69 could go up exponentially if the market actually comes back to what it was say 5 or so years ago.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Classic is classic. As time goes on and the car gets older, as long as it's kept in good condition and done right if performance and body work are done, it will eventually be classic and will eventually be valued as it's rarity increases.

Ed[K*]

GO! GO! GADGET VTEC!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tuner scene wont go anywhere, its doing just fine. every day more fanboys are joining it and simply keeping it alive. while the og's are staying in the game, enjoying their creations. but i seriously cant wait for this hellflush bullsh*t to go down the sh*t tube..ever since its first appearance on SuperStreet, ive been like 'What da faking fak...yo? hella-flush this sh*t down the toilet!'