which distributor? d series

sl215whore

5+ Year Member
I have a d15b obd1 motor swapped into my 98 civic which is obd2. the distributor is the obd1 one that came with the motor. the person who swapped it in cut the dizzy wires and made it obd2 because he was running the obd2 harness and ecu. now that i have the car i have bought a jumper harness and converted it back to obd1 running a p28 ecu. i have a check engine light for #1 crank position sensor. should i buy the dizzy that i would buy for the car with the obd2 harness so i can plug it right in? or do i have to get the d15b obd1 dizzy and some how make that work wit the obd2 harness?

basically I am asking if the dizzy for obd2 car will bolt onto the head and everything on the obd1 d15b.

thanks

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why do you have a d15 in a 6th gen civic?!?!

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its an older motor, and its illegal to have an older motor swapped into a newer chassis...

i think if you get a Y8 Dizzy, it will work...
no wonder people buy older civic and put in a newer type motor in it.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, and OBD1 dizzy will bolt up to a OBD2 head, and vice versa. An OBD2 dizzy will bolt upto a OBD1 head. The difference is only in the wiring. You can use a Y7/Y8 dizzy on a D15b. Just get a adapter harness/plug off rywire.com.

And its not illegal to swap an older engine into a new chassis in every state. Most states is illegal, yes. But there are a select few where the state could give two shits.

nsane_racer

5+ Year Member
Oklahoma is one of them. they could give a s**t less....I hate this state for many reasons, poor,crappy school system, a lot more but I love it cause we have no car Inspections. I can do basically whatever i please with my car almost true freedom.

sl215whore

5+ Year Member
does it matter if vtec or not? cause didn't the y7 come in 99 civic lx's so i wouldn't have to buy that adapter from ry wire because it should plug into my existing obd2 harness.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, y7's came in 96-00 Lx/Dx's. If your car is 99-00, use a 99-00 y7 dizzy. If its 96-98, us a 96-98 y7 dizzy. Or you can you a y8 dizzy (to shut the people up that think you NEED to use a Vtec dizzy on a Vtec head).

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a Y7 Dizzy at home, great shape, just blew a motor and had a few left over parts off my old motor. PM if interested!

nsane_racer

5+ Year Member
dont forget the CX...its always left out....:( so the Y8 dizz would work on my Y7 head...I can go pull the dizz from my wifes EX an slap that mo fo on and it will work no prob.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the Y8 is the only dizzy that will fit and have the correct bolt pattern... the dizzy dosnt have anything to do with vtec.

sl215whore

5+ Year Member
i got a dizzy off of a 98 civic and it doesent bolt up. does anyone know what distributor i need? can anyone send me a link from ebay with the right dizzy because im guessing i need to buy the dizzy for the d15b that came in a jdm 92-95 civic. when i look up a dizzy on ebay theres a bunch of diff ones with diff manufact number and i want to make sure i buy the right one

then im gonna get the adapter harness to convert the plugs. http://rywire.com/store/obd2-10pin-obd1-distributor-adapter-p-235.html?osCsid=695e3af0dfe772ba55a5e3f4c78b5bc2

need help guys what dizzy is for my d15b!??

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the Y8 is the only dizzy that will fit and have the correct bolt pattern... the dizzy dosnt have anything to do with vtec.
Funny, b/c y7 and y8 dizzys have identicle bolt patterns....

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got a dizzy off of a 98 civic and it doesent bolt up. does anyone know what distributor i need? can anyone send me a link from ebay with the right dizzy because im guessing i need to buy the dizzy for the d15b that came in a jdm 92-95 civic. when i look up a dizzy on ebay theres a bunch of diff ones with diff manufact number and i want to make sure i buy the right one

then im gonna get the adapter harness to convert the plugs. http://rywire.com/store/obd2-10pin-obd1-distributor-adapter-p-235.html?osCsid=695e3af0dfe772ba55a5e3f4c78b5bc2

need help guys what dizzy is for my d15b!??
my bad, i thought you ment D15B7... not the JDM D15b

i think a Z6 dizzy will work.

Funny, b/c y7 and y8 dizzys have identicle bolt patterns....
i dunno bout that.... i just know the OBD1 DX dizzy is the only one that will bolt to a Y8 head, so i assumed vise-versa as well.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my bad, i thought you ment D15B7... not the JDM D15b

i think a Z6 dizzy will work.

i dunno bout that.... i just know the OBD1 DX dizzy is the only one that will bolt to a Y8 head, so i assumed vise-versa as well.

I used my y7 dizzy on a y8 head when I had my SOHC motor in. So that means the y7/y8 dizzys have the same bolt pattern. Im 95% positive that all 92-00 SOHC dizzys are the same as well. Yet somehow people dont believe me.... :what:

sl215whore

5+ Year Member
yeah the z6 dizzy worked. i got it off of a del sol. now i need that adapter harness and im good

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used my y7 dizzy on a y8 head when I had my SOHC motor in. So that means the y7/y8 dizzys have the same bolt pattern. Im 95% positive that all 92-00 SOHC dizzys are the same as well. Yet somehow people dont believe me.... :what:
no, the Z6 is different than the D15B7. trust me, i know since i just did my motor.

but good to know the y7 and Y8 are the same.