Which head am I running?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok guys I know this has been asked in many threads but me and my friend have searched or the last two days and we keep running into circles!!!!

on my head its stamped pr3-1 now throughout my search I found pr3 is all b series. and I have also saw on my head is stamped with 97. now when I google that info i come up with the same info and no conclusive answer. so any input on this will be great info ooo another fact the motor came with an ls intake mani.the cr isn't throwing a cel and everything but the iat sensor is connected. i;m thinking the intake mani is obd1 due to the iat sensor is a circular plug while my harness is squarish.

another thing what would have to be done to an ecu? i'm running and obd2 to obd1 harness to a p06 my question is out of curiousity what did they do to the ecu since vtec is still engaing and the car is running like oem wit fuel cutoff etc?

thanks for any help

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
pr3 is a b16 head

what block do you have?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It says b18c which I'm assuming is a jdm gsr.

And I can see that pr3 can be a b16 but like I said throughout my search I've come to find out pr3 was stamp on most b series including type r etc.mine also says that its a 97 but I can't come to a conclusive answer since in 97 they made the b16 out of the ek4 and the usdm del sol vtec. And also hat might be the possibilities that its a gsr head?

What other indications can I look at to tell where it came from is there a serial number etched somewhere?

As well as the intake mani I thought that not all manis are interchangeble thru b series. I've read gsr, b16/typer, ls/rs/gs is this correct?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
not MOST b-series, just the b16 series and type R

no a gsr head would say p72

the gsr manifold is way different that the b16 and type r, you can google the manifolds

you have a b16 head with a gsr block, I think pr3-1 is a em1 si head but Im not sure

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2166013

read that theres a hundred threads about this

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's the thing it can't be a b16 from a em1 cause the year date it has stamped on says 97 and the intake mani says p72o p75 I can't remember exactly at this moment but will double check. That's why throughtout my search I found that the manifolds aren't interchangeable so I'm trying to figure how they would have fitted it on since it doesn't look like its been redrilled

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
poor man's type r with a type r block??

p72 is USDM GSR
p75 is JDM GSR/Type R

look under your passenger kick panel toward the door and read the code on the ECU. if it is P75 and you have a PR3-1 head (USDM B16a2) then there is nothing to be concerned about. They have almost the exact same mapping and the displacement of the B18c is made in the stroke. Your A/F and timing and vtec engagement are all fine.

You see this if someone breaks a timing belt and they need a quick head replacement. B18c & B16aX/b heads are the same on the B18c block +ECU

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
poor man's type r with a type r block??

p72 is USDM GSR
p75 is JDM GSR/Type R

look under your passenger kick panel toward the door and read the code on the ECU. if it is P75 and you have a PR3-1 head (USDM B16a2) then there is nothing to be concerned about. They have almost the exact same mapping and the displacement of the B18c is made in the stroke. Your A/F and timing and vtec engagement are all fine.

You see this if someone breaks a timing belt and they need a quick head replacement. B18c & B16aX/b heads are the same on the B18c block +ECU
not according to all these lists

http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-ecu-list-29129/

p73 is type r
p75 is LS

either way you have a b16a2 or a3 head

the first thread i showed you said most type r heads are pr3-4 or pr3-1 with a green mark on them somewhere

your ecu has been chipped and its running for that setup

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So how would they have fitted the intake mani if its an ls and I have a b16 head?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
how do you know its a LS intake manifold?

you need to take pics or something because you are either reading something wrong or telling us something wrong

no one would go through the trouble of 1) cutting and shaping an LS intake mani to a b16 head and 2) no one would do something as stupid as stick an LS head on a gsr block

does youre valve cover say vtec and is there a vtec solenoid on it? If so you have a b16 head, otherwise it would say p72 on it.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes on the intake mani like I said before I read either p72 or p75 I can't remember right now but will check on my lunch brea. And you have my exact thoughts on being a waste of time with an ls mani. And yes my valve cover say vtec. My vtec engages correctly. I also read somewhere that to tell the difference between gens of b series is that the older ones made the lettering of dohc bigger then the vtec lettering while the newer ones made the v tec letterings bigger is that correct?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not according to all these lists

http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-ecu-list-29129/

p73 is type r
p75 is LS

either way you have a b16a2 or a3 head

the first thread i showed you said most type r heads are pr3-4 or pr3-1 with a green mark on them somewhere

your ecu has been chipped and its running for that setup
interesting, my OBD1 type-r ecu is a p75... either way, it's a b16 head. a GSR intake runs down and a b16/ls runs toward the hood, the only difference being the runner length and angle.

rileyb

He most likely has a JDM Type R b18c.. good motor.. overpriced though if bought separately

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think for sure we agreed that its a 97 b16 and only two options I saw that the motor could have came from is either a civic del sol vtec or the jdm civic ek4. Would the head of a 97 del sol be good enough to build upon?

Another question I'm assuming the intake mani is obd1 since the iat sensor is a circular plug while my harness is squarish?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so since I have a b16/b18 what timing belt kit am I suppose to get?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there anyway to check what water pump I have before I start removing?