Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other, Please Specify

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In response:

The titan had numerous problems that I read about in Consumer Reports. The main thing I remember was brakes and other various things. I dont remember the exacts but I do remember it getting the worst rating possible which means there is good reason to not consider buying it.

Ok now I am going to need something more than that. The only thing that I have heard that Consumer Reports has ever had as a major mistake was the latest crash tests of child safety seats. Besides this many automotive companies and others have tried to disprove consumer reports but have inevitably failed because Consumer Reports rates cars on a thorough, though sometimes boring, scale and testing procedure. As most know these ratings are especially useful considering that they are based off of questionaires sent to tons of vehicle owners and then the compilated data is used to rate cars. Yes they may be bland as hell, and sometimes their gripes seem dumb but when it comes down to it who else rates cars overall better? Consider this, 9 times out of 10 when I read something on a car review in Motor Trend, Car and Driver or most other car magazines, I never hear much about reliability, resale, etc... The only time this is usually noted is when the reliability is very notable, where bad or good.
Taken from the Wikipedia article on Consumer Reports. If you google it you will find quite a few articles on this:

In 1996, Consumers Union published a report indicating that the 1995-96 Isuzu Trooper sport utility vehicle had demonstrated a "tendency to roll over in certain situations" in their tests, and that they had determined that it was "not acceptable".

Isuzu filed a lawsuit against Consumers Union as a result of the article; the court ruled that Consumer Reports had made "numerous false statements" and had put the Isuzu through tests that competitors were not subjected to...
Aside from the child seat thing, that's the most noteworthy case against their credibility.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wikipedia is s**t, it can be altered by anyone. I am going to go put bugs bunny is going to kill all of man kind now on Wikipedia

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wikipedia is s**t, it can be altered by anyone. I am going to go put bugs bunny is going to kill all of man kind now on Wikipedia
That's exactly why I said google it and you can find plenty of articles on it.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good points there about the Isuzu. The main thing I was referring to was that Consumer Reports is the best, if not one of the best, consumer product testing magazines. This is especially true w/ cars since they typically draw from a much higher rate of questionaires and data.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In response:

The titan had numerous problems that I read about in Consumer Reports. The main thing I remember was brakes and other various things. I dont remember the exacts but I do remember it getting the worst rating possible which means there is good reason to not consider buying it.

Ok now I am going to need something more than that. The only thing that I have heard that Consumer Reports has ever had as a major mistake was the latest crash tests of child safety seats. Besides this many automotive companies and others have tried to disprove consumer reports but have inevitably failed because Consumer Reports rates cars on a thorough, though sometimes boring, scale and testing procedure. As most know these ratings are especially useful considering that they are based off of questionaires sent to tons of vehicle owners and then the compilated data is used to rate cars. Yes they may be bland as hell, and sometimes their gripes seem dumb but when it comes down to it who else rates cars overall better? Consider this, 9 times out of 10 when I read something on a car review in Motor Trend, Car and Driver or most other car magazines, I never hear much about reliability, resale, etc... The only time this is usually noted is when the reliability is very notable, where bad or good.
Over and over, again and again, Consumers Reports has failed. It started with their hatchet job on Suzuki. A senior staffer at CR was quoted, "If you can't find someone to roll this thing, I'll do it myself." after several staffers had noted the Suzuki's unexpectedly good stability.

They tried the same thing with Isuzu.

The Bose debacle.

The child safety seat butcher job.

These are the same idiots that rated the Civic Hybrid at 26 mpg. 26 motherfucking miles per gallon!. I've said before and I'll say it again. I could get 26mpg out of a Civic EX sedan with the parking brake up, the A/C on, and a trunkful of dead hookers. I don't know how you only get 26mpg out of a stock Civic....pretty much any stock Civic by any means other than improper testing.

They were forced to retract their statement that Hybrids would never save their buyers any money

And just how in the hell did they expect a two seat sports car like the 350Z to ride?

No credibility. CR is in business to sell magazines, not to report objectively.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Where did you get your "info" on the civic hybrid?

Honestly, you can think what you want about them or any other car or car magazine, but I will continue to use them. This almost brings us into the import or domestic debate that I've heard time and time again, where when people site consumer reports findings and that being one of the reasons for imports over domestics and then domestic lovers/supports/buyers suggest that they are completely incompitent, biased always towards imports and overlooking everything. Like I've said to people before, Consumer Reports is a great guide to use to help you identify the possible cars you might want to buy and their corresponding problems, attributes etc, but they are not the only tool to use. If your going to Consumer Reports to get info on how fun a car is to drive, handling and performance etc.. you should more than likely use someone else and/or drive the car you might want b/c they can be subjective.

What is it that some people hate so much about Consumer Reports, I mean really? Yea they mess up, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to write them off and go buy a Dodge/Ford/GMC :lol:

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we hate that they test s**t they dont like improperly so they can clown it .... youre just a blind pesant if you discount all the evidence everyone has given on why they suck

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where did you get your "info" on the civic hybrid?

Honestly, you can think what you want about them or any other car or car magazine, but I will continue to use them. This almost brings us into the import or domestic debate that I've heard time and time again, where when people site consumer reports findings and that being one of the reasons for imports over domestics and then domestic lovers/supports/buyers suggest that they are completely incompitent, biased always towards imports and overlooking everything. Like I've said to people before, Consumer Reports is a great guide to use to help you identify the possible cars you might want to buy and their corresponding problems, attributes etc, but they are not the only tool to use. If your going to Consumer Reports to get info on how fun a car is to drive, handling and performance etc.. you should more than likely use someone else and/or drive the car you might want b/c they can be subjective.

What is it that some people hate so much about Consumer Reports, I mean really? Yea they mess up, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to write them off and go buy a Dodge/Ford/GMC :lol:
26mpg is what Consumer's Reports originally published for the Civic Hybrid.

I didn't really give a crap about the hatchet job they did on Suzuki or Isuzu. Writers later testified that the manuevers they had to execute to cause the Suzuki to roll over would have caused a Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco II to roll. But when they published the "actual mpg" of the Civic Hybrid at only 26, I knew they were full of s**t. C'mon. Really? REALLY!? 26 mpg. I know fools that bomb around town in their HXes WFO all the time that still get 40 mpg. How in the hell do you only get 26 out of a Hybrid? If I drive real careful I can get my friends Grand Cherokee to average 22 mpg and it's got nearly 4X the displacement. (according to the trip computer anyway:rolf: ) I've never received less than 27 mpg in my GS-R. NEVER! I can get 26 mpg out of my boosted 2.4. How f**ked up are you when you only get 26 mpg out of a Civic Hybrid?

Noted automotive historian Ed Wallace put the final nail in their credibility's coffin by reporting on their numerous poor testing and hatchet job occasion.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Noted automotive historian Ed Wallace put the final nail in their credibility's coffin by reporting on their numerous poor testing and hatchet job occasion.
dont forget that part of your spiel about the difference in results of the srt4 and the pt cruiser gt ;)

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
youre just a blind pesant if you discount all the evidence everyone has given on why they suck
I appreciate the inclination that I am obviously a fool and should never read anything they say or take anything they report to be true. I'm def. going to make sure that I dont ever take what anyone else says to be true if they have lied or screwed up before.:lol:

Now on a serious not, I am now going to go out and buy only Dodge, Ford or GM made vehicles b/c everything that Consumer Reports says is wrong and unsubstantiated, therefore telling me that everything they say is bad in actuality is good.:lol:

Come on guys, did you see what I said? Ok so dont use them as a source to help you buy a car. Then what do you use? I'm sure the whole, "I had a friend that once had a problem w/ such n' such vehicle... so thats why I only buy ...." works really well. Let me reiterate, I use them as ONE of my sources to evaluate a car.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont forget that part of your spiel about the difference in results of the srt4 and the pt cruiser gt ;)

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH! I forgot about that :rolf::lol:yeah I know...that was supposed to be at my expense...hahah...but you brought up a good point

Apparently, to make the SRT/4 go from "Much Worse Than Average" to "Much Better Than Average" in reliability, all you have to do is change the intake manifold.

because the intake manifold is the only major difference between the "Much Worse" SRT/4 and the "Much Better" PT Cruiser GT. Block, head, pistons, cams, valves, rods, crank, turbo,....all the same.

What great journalistic integrity Consumer's Reports shows! :Devil:

I'm just saying that there has been enough incidents of badly flawed reporting from Consumer's Reports that I question everything they review. I'll check thier articles out occasionally if it's on a car I'm interested in but it's always taken with a grain of salt.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We are looking about buying a 2500HD DuraMax because the family business of pouring concrete has use renting big bobcats, trackers,etc and some rental place will not let us rent them with out a one ton.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We are looking about buying a 2500HD DuraMax because the family business of pouring concrete has use renting big bobcats, trackers,etc and some rental place will not let us rent them with out a one ton.
A Ford Ranger with a Lima 2.3 will pull a Bobcat.

It will not stop...but it can get it moving. :rolf:

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A Ford Ranger with a Lima 2.3 will pull a Bobcat.

It will not stop...but it can get it moving. :rolf:
:rolf: Stopping is pretty key... our truck now would pull the hell out of one and stop it pretty good but they will not let use even try.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:deadhorse2: All right, let's get on with the flogging of the deceased equine...

I want a truck too. In fact I need one. My PT can carry a lot of stuff when I pull out the back seats but the 60% section on the left is a pain in the ass to put back in when you are all tired and sweaty and s**t and then I gotta' spend the rest of the day vacuuming and cleaning the interior.

I've already decided against a fullsize. I am fairly certain that we will see $4.00+ gallon prices in the immediate future. I can get a brand new Ram 1500 V6, six speed, cloth/carpet...etc... for about 13K or a Silverado Classic 4.3 for about 14K. I just can't handle the 12-16 mpg aspect of it. Even the Ridgeline barely gets 20mpg and good luck finding one for less than $27,000.

So that means 4 banger manual.

Choices:

Tacoma:
Pros: it's a Toyota. It'll go 250-300K miles, interior is decent
Cons: the non-Pre-runner models are butt ass ugly, only comes in plain ass vanilla white

Frontier:
Pros: QR25 motor is durable and efficient, It's practically a full size truck
Cons: XE 4 cylinders are very plain. No PW, PL, Cruise...etc...

Colorado/Canyon/i-290:
Pros: A LOT more horsepower than the Ford V6, looks good with Street Pack
Cons: kinda' heavy (reg cab is heavier than 04 ext cab Frontier) mpg on the low side, can be pricey.

Ranger:
Pros: Mazda power, best fuel economy
Cons: original design dates back to 80's, limited leg room, difficult to find with 4cyl (I think the OHV Vulcan V6 is cheaper for Ford to produce than the DOHC MZR 4 :what: )

B2300
Pros: Best looking Ranger ever
Cons: Extended cab SE5 models only exist on Mazda's website

S10/Sonoma/Hombre:
Pros: Cheap, okay gas mileage, will run longer with something broken than most other cars will run. Decent styling, 3rd door, stepside, cheap parts, lots of aftermarket stuff
Cons: 120bhp OHV 4 cyl is gutless, tends to crack cyl heads. It'll either go 200,000+ or die completely at 60,000, seat adjustment levers and window crank handles are usually broken, Hombres are ugly.

Dakota:
Pros: old ass Jeep design 2.5 is durable, good torque, great Interior and exterior styling.
cons: Gas mileage not so good, Old ass Jeep 2.5 not so powerful. (120bhp???) I think 03 was the last year for the 4.

Utility trailer:
Pros: won't effect mpg that much, I don't have to wash it....ever.:Devil:
Cons: should I really pull a trailer with a turbo 4? I have something like 245ftlbs @3000 rpm :what: but still I have read things specifically stating do NOT pull a trailer with a gas turbo motor, I still have to wash the wagon after a trip to the dump.:evil:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Utility trailer:
Pros: won't effect mpg that much, I don't have to wash it....ever.:Devil:
Cons: should I really pull a trailer with a turbo 4? I have something like 245ftlbs @3000 rpm :what: but still I have read things specifically stating do NOT pull a trailer with a gas turbo motor, I still have to wash the wagon after a trip to the dump.:evil:
what?

they make a tow hitch for your car right?

some kid on nasioc moved from NY to montana, he hauled his Uhaul the entire way with his 04 wrx wagon

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool.

Utility trailer it is then

I remember reading somewhere specifically to not tow with a turbo car. :what:

Might have been an old ass Thunderchicken Turbo Coupe manual or something.:lol: Maybe in my hooptie SCoupe manual. :rolf:

I still don't want to take my PT on 17's to the landfill though. too much crap there to gouge a sidewall or worse, bend a wheel.