window fell off track...help me out.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
whats up when i roll my window up all the way when it gets to the top it like drops a half inch then goes back up really fast and it keeps repeating. im pretty sure it just fell off track. i know how to get my panel off but what do i gotta do to fix it?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Prolly bend the track or just put it back on. That's what I used to have to do. The 6th gen civics have a VERY common window problem.

I remember my brother drove an hour or so in the winter 2 years ago with the window fully open during a mild snow storm because he couldn't shut it after smoking a cigarette on the highway.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
haha wow that sucks...but where is the track located in the door? like near the top or bottom? i never saw the inside of the door, its probably the only thing in my car that i havent taken apart...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah yes I forgot about lubing the tracks. No idea what lube though. Only know to put the window back on from watching my brother do it every week b/c so many problems.

IIRC, the track runs vertical towards the front of the door between the handle and the tweeter.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well no offense but i wanna fix it so i dont have to fix it every week haha if lubing it up and making sure its lubed will fix it permenently after i bend the track back into place then thats what i will do.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your track is bent you may want to get a new track. I don't know how good you would be at getting it back perfectly if you bend it back. I have the same problems as do many civic owners. Alll I have to do is give mine some silicone every winter.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you fix it yet? it may not just be off track. the teeth on the control arm may be broken. my window is like this now and my cousins was. he had to replace the window control arm to fix his. this problem sounds similar anyway, the window will go up (depending on how many teeth are broken) and then fall alittle. if it's off track you can take the door panel off and loosen the track screws at the bottom and move the tracks. sometimes u'll have to find something thin to slide down the window track making sure the rubber outside part of the track gets on the outside of the window and not folding behind.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
na man im not gonna do it until tomorrow or something

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
red96civicex said:
na man im not gonna do it until tomorrow or something
I don't think the window came off track. If it did it would of not gone up at all. Sounds to me that your having the same problem I'm having. Your window regulator has some teeth (shown on image below) that are moved by your window motor that also has teeth. It sounds that the regulator has some teeth missing or they are worn out. You might have to replace the regulator. And please do not use WD-40 on rubber components. It will dry it out and make it crack. Use the WD-40 on the tracks.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mine kept falling off track and it still went up, just not the last 2 inches.

b16CIVICSI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol i dont even bother putting down my drivers side anymore and if i do its only like three inches or if i go threw the drive through but i mainly use my passenger side window now :twisted:

collins2006

5+ Year Member
Yea I used to have the same prob with my 97 coupe it always fell of track so i got tired of dealing with it and took the door panel off and bent the track a little back into place and ive never had a problem with it again....just make sure you use some lube otherwise it will just keep falling off track

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
stolibears said:
damn, i wish there was like some kind of "how to" on this site cause it's soooo common with the 6th gens...with like pics and stuff........

oh wait....

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=103218&highlight=window

or

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=103218&highlight=window

wow, how did I find that? Oh yeah, the Search button.:roll:
well you know what man, somtimes i dont feel like going to seach through all the how-to's just to find one thing. maybe i thought it was easier to post because 1) they people who post can give you better links then the actual howto. 2) people can give thier opinions on what is wrong + give useful information about your problem. so i dont wanna hear seach search search. but thanks anyway