Wreckless Hype's 2000 EJ8 Slow Build

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Currently have the cheap stick on tape ones, which I can't stand. I'm looking into replacing with WeatherTech visors, that actually fit in the channel of the window. I've heard nothing but good things.

Also, second EX brought home!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
T10 was in wrong, stupid polarized LEDs. Not sure why the needles look so crappy in the pics I took, they look fine driving. Oh well.

I grabbed a 1st gen EL cluster from Canada. It's in KPH but has the MPH scale. I got an extra Plain Jane mph cluster I'll pull the speedo mechanism from and going to try my red LED strips in it. Will see how that comes out!

Some more goodies in the mail:

I could only find a couple pair of 99-00 mud flaps and they were crap condition for like new prices. Heard the RSX mud flaps work, so I figured for the price, I'd give it a shot. The bolt holes didn't line up perfect, I got them to work easily. The outside looks pretty awesome!

I'll probably catch crap from anyone still looking at this, for ordering smoke headlights, but I did. :D Girlfriend's care came with black housing, which I don't really fancy too much, but her projectors look a lot better than my messy HIDs. They were pretty cheap. The Morimoto Mini D2S kit was not really, but I figured the housing would make a perfect experiment I wouldn't feel bad about chopping up.

Keeping my eye out for some decent OEM rims and working on a drop, probably when it gets nicer out.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yep. Was the first lip I've really gotten to do anything with, paint, etc and didn't want to go crazy on something expensive. Was cheap enough, took some time on the painting, didn't come out too bad.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome build so far subed for future updates

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lookin good
Awesome build so far subed for future updates

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Damn...nice build!
Thanks much guys! I don't really feel like I've gotten anything accomplished though, it doesn't ride any better or move faster :( All with time I suppose!

One of my HID ballasts for my fogs blew out, so DDMTuning is going to replace it. I'm removing them anyway, maybe I'll sell them off. I don't really like the idea off them any more :lol:

I got my smoked lighting kit in the mail yesterday! Smoked fog lights, I'll pop some PIAA Plasma Ion H3s in there. The headlights looked really good too, I was excited to cut them open and start some retrofitting, but then... I noticed the outside mounting arm / tab was broken on the driver side from shipping, which would be my luck, and also TheRetrofitSource "shipped" my order on the 3rd, but actually has no idea where it is.

Off to a great start! :roll:

Thinking next I'm going to try and grab the BWR deal on the coilovers and LCAs on the site's marketplace. Pretty good deal and I read some good things on their reviews, should be fine for a daily.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Waiting for workout buddy so I could hit the gym, decided to put the fog lights in. These came with the headlights, they're pretty cheap, but I thought I'd mess around with them and see how they came out.

Build-wise, they look to be specced the same as OEM. The actual lamps themselves look pretty ok, you can tell they're knock offs. Obviously HIDs won't fit as the reflector is too close to the housing, where the Raybrigs don't have that issue. I have not gotten my ballast back yet from DDM Tuning, I had these bulbs in my WRX and loved them, so I grabbed another set.

Aaaand there's an issue. The wire for the light doesn't break off until the connector harness, making it pretty hard to swap out the cheap bulbs.

..Or not

Preetee

Look pretty ok to me.

Light output is still very good, not like the HIDs, but man, that was obnoxious. I'm working on painting the covers that came with them since they're just a plain plastic black. I'll leave the Raybrigs as OEM as possible and just pack them up for now. Hopefully my headlight is replaced soon and my TRFS Morinmoto kit comes in..

Just boredom updates for now until I can get my bank account restocked :D

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nothing really major. Currently unemployed as the company I worked for appears to be heading to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Oh well. I imagine this "build" will slow a bit :roll: It'll give me more time to make it to the gym and install all the parts I have laying around waiting for nice weather though!

Speaking of which, my horns have been sounding very whiny, so...

Love these horns so much, they're so loud and even look great.

Weird turn of events also. K2Motor replaced my broken headlight and issued a call tag for UPS to pick up the broken one. UPS never came, for two weeks. No clue what that's about. And instead of sending me a replacement driver's side headlight, they sent me a whole new pair. SO I have 2 brand new head light sets, one has the broken mount point. Since the idea was to cut them apart and retrofit them (which hasn't arrived yet), I figured I'd play around, mock fit the broken pair with my current HID setup and see what kind of light output is lost due to the tint. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but I think personally they look really nice. I'm not expecting any sort of longevity out of these though. They're cheap and I know what that means ;)

I'm also aware my engine bay looks like garbage, it's on the list of things to do during the "unemployed nice days" :D

Santiago_23

Awesome your headlights are nice man I'm trying to go for the same but Don't know where to get them also the HiD's too I'm not sure where to buy em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome your headlights are nice man I'm trying to go for the same but Don't know where to get them also the HiD's too I'm not sure where to buy em

Thanks man.

They were just a cheap set I got off eBay. I really didn't pay much, and I'm expecting even less from them. The light output with just HID bulbs is horrific; the light shoots up the sides and up into the trees. They did a really bad job engineering them. I'm more interested in taking them apart and retrofitting projectors in them which should clear up a lot of that and give me much cleaner lighting.

The HIDs I have now are DDM Tuning's 55w kit. They're also pretty cheap. They're being pulled out when the projectors go in. The light scatter with the HID bulbs alone is pretty bad and everyone thinks you're that doucher.

Santiago_23

In going to get smoked headlights as week from K2Motor but ima see if ima get HiD , but other than that do you know what the Pros and cons are of changing the bulb to Blueidh

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In going to get smoked headlights as week from K2Motor but ima see if ima get HiD , but other than that do you know what the Pros and cons are of changing the bulb to Blueidh

Alright, so I'll run down with my setup and what you're talking about with blue:

The only "pros" with these K2Motor smoked headlights is the look.
The cons are:
*Cheap build quality
*Nomal bulb reflection is extremely scattered, it's very very random
*Light output is decreased

Plain ol HIDs
Pros
*Cheap
*Better light output vs stock
*Plug n play
*Cheap vs retrofit
*Looks I guess?

Cons
*Cheap
*Very scattered light output vs something focused, like retrofit projectors
*Because it's scattered and very bright, everyone assumes you're a d**k driving around with his brights on
*Ballasts tend to short out easily
*If something burns out, you can't just get a new part at the car part store.
*Blue is a very high temperature bulb and tends to put out a lot less light, which, when paired with smoked lenses, means your light output would likely be far worse than OEM headlights with a good set of halogen bulbs.

Retrofit Projectors
Pros
*Very good, focused light output
*Build quality is usually much better (housing going into the headlights)
*Ballasts are generally names like Denso & Phillips

Cons
*Generally pretty pricey ($300-ish)
*Requires modifying the headlights (Baking to screw the housings in)
*If something burns out, you can't just get a new part at the car part store.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm just going off the quick things that came to mind.

If you're going to get smoked headlights AND you want blue HIDs, get something like 8000K. They are still very bright, when tinted by the headlights, will look similar to mine in the pictures. Somewhere around like 5300K is the closest to sunlight you can get in these HIDs, which is like the purest, brightest white. Everything on either side is warm white (decreasing temp) where you hit yellow at 3500K, or goes to a cool white (increasing) where you hit blue around 10000K and temps like 12000K and 15000K which are just unuseable as they're basically just purple.

If you're not sure and may use normal halogens, you can get a very good set of Sylvannia's ultra bright white bulbs and they will have a very good light output. However, in these smoked headlights, it will be decreased some by the tint, and it will ALSO be decreased some by the fact that the light is not focused directly straight forward.

If you want to run these headlights (K2Motor is where I got mine also), I would suggest spend the extra to put a decent retrofit in them to get a better light source.

To me, lighting is something you generally spend a little extra on if you want something nice. It's something that provides instant gratification, you use very often, and if done right, can help improve the safety of your car without being a detriment to oncoming drivers.

I'm sure a lot of people do not agree with putting a $300 projector setup in a $70 set of headlights, but it's all preference. I like the look of it and it was something I wanted to do to change it up a bit. Ultimately, I'd love to splurge on a set of new OEM CTR lights and retrofit them properly. Since CTRs cost around 6-700 and I've only split open 1 set of headlights before, I like to think these smoked lenses are more of a trial run. That is, unless they outlast my expectation and turn into something actually nice looking several months down the road.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here's my head light progression (sorry it's so close, it's the only surface I really have to use currently)

OEM head lights with $50 Sylvannia halogens from Walmart

OEM head lights with $75 DDM Tuning 55w 10'000K H4 Hi/Lo HID kit
(10'000K with 55w ballasts look the same roughly as 8'000K with 35w ballasts)

$70 K2Motor smoked head lights with $75 DDM Tuning 55w 10'000K H4 Hi/Lo HID kit

You can really see just how bad the light scatter is from 1st to last. The OEM / halogen set up was very much focused in the center and was very clean and bright.
The HIDs scatter upward and this tends to piss other drivers off a bit. You also find road signs reflecting back an obscene amount of light, etc.
The smoked head lights is just plain awful. Under no circumstance would I ever say it's a "nice" setup, and recommend it for normal driving. The light output is still decently bright, but it's all over the damn place. In fact, I find it distracting while driving, that my head lights shine on this like transformers on top of power lines and then my eyes are drawn to it. Just no bueno.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finally some nice(ish) weather. Spent the first weekend doing tons of yard work since the weather was perfect for it. Then went to AC following weekend and more yard work last weekend. This weekend I got to tackle some interior parts I had laying around.

Before with original cup holder, power outlet, and my torn DC Type R boot

After with ashtray console and hideaway cup holder.

Tapped illumination for light in ashtray to the dash illumination wire and connected that back up.

I don't smoke, I personally can't stand cars that smell like smoke. I pulled the ashtray apart completely and scrubbed and buffed the surfaces and reassembled. I really just wanted the closed storage. Cup holder was just to have the option to clean up the center console since I rarely have a drink in my car.

Also installed the rear flip out ashtray, again for storage, but will server a different purpose later on.

Current dash view

Day was done and I was pretty happy with how everything came out. I had the rear fog switch in my hand while cleaning up and wanted to mount it in the center console. Decided to try out the wiring on the rear fog with the OEM switch and relay. I'm wiring retarded like no one's business, so this was a huge feat for me.

Illumination on the switch itself does not work however. The light, getting power from the 12v line in the car, and both black wires on the switch being grounded means at the very least the indicator light should come on. Strange. Regardless, it works!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got to get my rear fog in and wired properly last week.

Painter taped the fog light.

Pulled it off and measure out placement on the rear bumper. Checked with a level, stuck it to cut!

Not bad!

Finished project

Cluster swap. I liked the 96-98 VTi cluster, but the orange got old quick. The Jordan cluster I like. Nice and clean, no colors, just white, no Si or maintenance required, etc.

Time to cook!

Morimoto D2s kit, "square" projectors, 35w ballasts, 8000K bulbs

Aiming

Baked, mounted, double checking

While I was at it and had everything apart:

Perfect (printed a template)

Touched up the bare metal, sealed them up, popped together

Coming together

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like where this is going! Great attention to detail!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like where this is going! Great attention to detail!
Thanks! Appreciate the love heh.

Currently just putting in what I picked up for it, trying to make it a little more personalized to me. The local Honda page I joined to lurk for rims brought up some clean Blades. I do enjoy blades but I think it might be a bit much for me with this. I don't know about the polished rims, I kind of want to find a set of GSR Sunflowers.

Still shopping around for a nice suspension setup and reading up on my motors. All with time...

In the meantime, much happier with this cluster. Just flows better and looks a lot cleaner.