zach246's gsr hatch build up

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hi everybody. me and my friends did our first motor swap this weekend in my backyard to my 1992 honda civic si hatchback. the motor we swapped in is a B18C1 from an Acura Integra GSR. so here is a build up of it. the swap was done in the shed behind my house. i didn't take too many pictures because we were all rushing and running around trying to finish it by sunday because i needed to get back to college today for classes and exams. i wish now that i had taken more pictures but i guess i had so much on my mind, as did everybody else, while doing this that it just slipped our minds.

I bought the motor from an auction dealer. The car it came from was crashed in the rear and he bought it at an auction in New York and had it shipped here to Massachusetts. It's a 1997 Acura Integra GSR with 70,000 miles and a title to prove. I have the title of salvage as well as the receipts from the auction. I had talked to the guy on the phone and he wanted $2600 for the complete motor swap (everything under the hood including the ecu) and when i went to go look at it i honestly had no intention of buying it unless he would come down at least $700 on his price, but when i got there and i saw the car and motor i knew i couldn't pass it up. The motor was completely mint, probably the cleanest looking usdm b series motor i've ever seen. and the front of the car was mint too. everything was completely stock there wasn't one modification done to the car. The previous owner of the car was a middle aged man that used it as a commuter car for work. It was a green integra with tan interior. He said the lowest he'd go was $2400 so we settled on that. I paid him $500 down and installments of $250 every sunday at 1:00 for the following couple months. My brother bought the front end and interior for his green ls/vtec integra so everything worked out good i guess. I will say though that he was a real honest guy, very nice and understanding and it's good to know for peace of mind that people you are doing business with are honest people.

anyway, here's a picture of the motor while it was still in the integra. this picture was taken back in january when i first bought it. i don't know why i didn't take a picture of the whole car.

two months later i had the motor paid off. Friday we decided to take the d16 out of the civic. I was getting the gsr motor the next day so we wanted to be able to put it in right away. (my other jdm gsr hatch, the red dx, in the background)

my friend dave (91sib16 on here) backing the hatch into the shed, and arthur i don't know what he's doing

i guess dave was the last one to drive the hatch with a single cam

my friend steve working on taking out the axel. the axel nut was giving us a real hard time.

we got the motor out around 1:00 in the morning. we were taking breaks and taking our time and s**t that's why it was so late when we got it out. but special thanks goes out to steve for helping me all night with it. everybody else went home at like 10 and i was stuck there by myself and he came back to help. and i couldn't afford an engine lift so we took it out without one by just dropping the motor with jacks. real men dont use engine lifts.

dave, me, joey, and pete saturday morning

so me, dave, and pete went to the guy's house to pull the motor out of the integra. we had to pull it out ourselves in the pouring rain and it was freezing out and it sucked i'll tell you that. dave and pete were the only ones that would help take it out in the rain so if it weren't for them it would not have happened. the guy's dad owned a junkyard down the street so we unbolted everything and when the motor was ready to be pulled from the car the guy's dad came with a forklift to pull it out. i dont know why but i didn't take any pictures when we were taking it out. my brother came with his truck and took the motor back to my house.

we got the motor in without an engine lift as well. we just put it under the car and jacked it up into the bay. thats steve's method of swapping motors. who needs an engine lift anyway? :what: with only 2 mounts in place and really nothing connected it started right up with the first turn of the key! i got the shift linkage and rear mount bolted in, dave cut the exhaust and connected it because there was a 6 inch gap between the end of the header and the cat, arthur put the axels in, wayne put the radiator and hoses in and helped with the vacuum lines, and everyone connected s**t back together. the cv boot on one of the axels was broken but wayne fixed it with some good ol' coat hanger. good job wayne:thumbs up

i was out getting parts but steve and leighton pulled it out of the shed into the street.

terrible picture but you get the idea. we didn't spend much time cleaning the bay because we just wanted to get the motor in the car and running and driving. i'll do that later when i have time.

the suspension is offset here because i just adjusted it real quick in the front to compensate for the weight difference with the gsr motor. the suspension is ground control coilovers with kyb agx shocks.

arthur and mike

here's the shed after it was all said and done

hybrid motor swap completed in less than 2 days. the car runs and drives awesome. it pulls very strong and is a blast to drive. everybody says gsr tranny is a lot longer than the b16 but the gears feel just as short as a b16 to me i love it. it starts every time and idles perflectly. we're using a p28 ecu right which shouldn't be a problem until we get the obd1 p72 ecu. i have the obd2 p72 ecu from the 97 integra if anybody wants to buy it, its of no use to me. the vtec seems to be kicking in too. the only thing that needs to be done, as far as i know, is for the IAB's to be wired in and i think i'm gonna have the shop do that for me. hopefully that will make the car pull even stronger at lower rpms. also i got rid of the power steering, power steering sucks anyway:thumbdown

i just want to thank everybody very much for helping with this. dave, steve, arthur, leighton, joey, pete, mike, wayne, drew, my parents, and bickfords for late night dinners (and anyone else i may be forgetting). especially dave and pete for helping take that motor out in the rain and steve for helping us shimmy the motor in with no lift. it was a team effort and it's not my gsr hatch it's our gsr hatch. its just as much all of yours as it is mine.

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats sick. i like the car alot, looks sweet. You need to have a shoot

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice job.

Although getting a hoist wouldn't be too bad of an investment if you plan on doing this every now and then.
Mine's sped up a few of my projects in the past ;)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so far so good bro...! Keep up the good work

:thumbs up

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It is really easy to do the wiring needed for the knock sensor and the iabs. It is just 3 wires and I could tell you how and show you the sites w/ pics to wire it up.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, the gsr trans is pretty good, I got an Ls w/ my gsr swap for my 4 door, but I paid 880 for a motor w/ 90k and the Ls trans. I beat some guy in a 6th gen that had just had his swap in and had the gsr trans but he got raped on someone else putting it in. With the Ls trans I'm at the end of 3rd gear while the gsr guy is almost at the end of 4th. But I beat the guy by over half a car at the end of the track. I kinda like having the Ls trans on my DD, but like the pickup of my y21 in my other car. I ran a 15.0 w/ my Ls trans my first time at 94.48, but if I had the gsr I think it would knock of about 2 tenths, so I'd like to have the gsr trans over the b16 if I were driving it a lot, b/c it is overrated to be at 4k going down the highway when you could be at 3300 instead or about 3700-3800 with the gsr.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it is overrated to be at 4k going down the highway when you could be at 3300 instead or about 3700-3800 with the gsr.
ya thats what i was thinking too. i commute a lot and im on the highway all the time so i guess the gsr tranny is more ideal for me. but on the other hand i think i would be cool to hav the b16 for the shorter gears

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the b16 trans matched to a 13:1 cr built Ls/vtec is fun, who cares how much gas that thing burns b/c I built mine for goodness, the Gsr is the middle man which is good for everything. the Ls is really good for gas mileage and if you put an LSD in the Ls, and have over 400 hp, the Ls is really ideal. The b16 trans I got is a y21 w/ Lsd that I bought for $600, an alright deal considering that it came from japan and I got it in Georgia.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good man, id like to have a GSR in an eg coupe for a dd, but i dont have that kind of money. looks like you like rolling around with no hood, i did it once and got a lot of people staring. keep up the good work.

Enzo z4

5+ Year Member
Needs a V8.

I'll vouch for zach in saying his skills as a civic tuner are coming along well, but he thinks he could win a aginst a stock 5.0 and that hondas are infallible.

I wanna know why this mentality continues to persist...haha...fwd...

EF Honda EF

looks good man, but if you think it pulls hard with a p28 then it will be a lot faster with a p72. with a p28 its gonna be running horribly but you wont notice.