Zc Parts List Needed

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It seems like every website i go to has a different parts list for the ZC swap. I have a 1990 si with D16a6 and i plan to put in a ZC engine soon. What are the bear necessities, parts wise, that I need to have this car running well with the ZC engine? Obviously the ZC motor is needed, but I plan to keep my stock transmission and possibly my ECU. If not, I'll get the Integra ECU eventually, otherwise, what else is needed? thanks a lot for the help.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im pretty sure you have to use a zc tranny

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nah, i read all over the web the SI tranny will bolt directly to the ZC motor...That's part of the reason i'm doing the ZC over the B16-price factor. it's much cheaper and easier.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the OBD0 JDM DOHC ZC bolts right into your car using your Si engine harness - you will need to make a minor wiring change at the distributor - the only other thing you will need is 88-89 Integra upper radiator hose - i would strongly suggest that you put a new timing belt on it - i would replace the water pump and the front and rear crank seals along with the oil pan gasket - a lot easier to do these with the engine out of the car, rather than try to do it once the engine is in and you find out that you have an oil leak or a leaking or bad water pump

you can use the PM6 ECU, but it will run better with the JDM PM7 or 88-89 Integra PG7

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So all I need is the motor, timing belt, rad hose, crank seals, and oil pan gasket? Everything else will work fine? I though I read something about using Integra axles or something...

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So all I need is the motor, timing belt, rad hose, crank seals, and oil pan gasket? Everything else will work fine? I though I read something about using Integra axles or something...
the Integra axles are only needed if you are using the ZC transmission and ZC intermediate shaft - the Si transmission is a better choice

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh ok. yea, i'm going to stick with my transmission. How much in total do you think a ZC swap will cost me?

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh ok. yea, i'm going to stick with my transmission. How much in total do you think a ZC swap will cost me?
depends on where you get the engine, shipping costs, etc. - probably around $1000-$1100 Canadian, maybe less

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i dont think i'll get it shipped, i'll probably go to a JDM shop in Toronto and pick it up. hopefully i can get it under 900 if im lucky.

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tiger Japanese Auto Parts (they seem to be the cheapest), Teknotik, TorontoJDM, Top Japanese Auto Parts.

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh, nice. does that come with everything i need? and would i need the distributor or radiator add on? I have a brand new rad in my civic now, i wonder if it could work with that motor

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh, nice. does that come with everything i need? and would i need the distributor or radiator add on? I have a brand new rad in my civic now, i wonder if it could work with that motor
your radiator is fine, just need the 88-89 Integra upper hose and use your lower hose - they don't seem to know much about a ZC - the add-on distributor they list (TD43) is the OBD1 DOHC ZC distributor - the engine listed is OBD0 - looks like it comes with everything you need

jardine90si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hear 9 times outta 10, these JDM engines have broken pieces on them like throttle position sensors or leaky water pumps etc.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i notice that they do have the OBD1 DOHC ZC for $690.30 Canadian, but to use it you would need to convert the car to OBD1 or convert the engine to OBD0 - probably end up about the same cost, but the OBD1 engines are newer