Trying to improve my MPG, Spark plugs and wires??

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hey all..

I just changed my oil and purchased some spark plugs. I bought some Iridiums that were $7 a piece. The regular NGK's were $2 a piece. I have a stock D16Y7. Will the Iridiums give ANY benefit or will the $2 version do the same s**t? I havent installed them yet.
My second question is, my current plugs are about 2 years old if not more. They sat without being turned on for 1.5+ years. Will replacing them yield me better MPG's? And will replacing wires yield me better MPG's?

Thanks all.

99SiTR

5+ Year Member
So your looking for better gas milage? You should already have great milage with that motor. Id stick with those plugs if your not spraying or boosting, and for better gas milage change your fuel filter and air filter also. And add a lucas fuel treatment

ryanM

their not going to do anything really

but if you already bought them just put em in...

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
On C-RSX.com it says only recommended for F/I or sprayed cars. Ill return them and get the other NGK's.

Yeah im getting good gas mileage but I believe I should be getting more. Right now im at an average of 27 MPG street/highway with A/C on 50% of the time. People say I should be getting more. I did change the air filter, and ill change the fuel filter with the money I saved from the spark plugs.

And can someone please explaing the whole "gapping" thing for me please?

ryanM

yea, 27 is low

i got 40-42 in my ex on a regular basis, and a DX should get more...

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you do highway, street or both??
i had the same problem i used to get like 22 mpg. i thought that was reasonable since i do 100% city driving and everywhere i go is within a 2 mile radius, but the other day i decided to buy some fuel injector cleaner and it helped ALOT. havent figured out my new mpg cuz i hvaent gone through that tank of gas yet, but the needle isnt dropping as quick as it used to

ryanM

i had the same problem i used to get like 22 mpg. i thought that was reasonable since i do 100% city driving and everywhere i go is within a 2 mile radius, but the other day i decided to buy some fuel injector cleaner and it helped ALOT. havent figured out my new mpg cuz i hvaent gone through that tank of gas yet, but the needle isnt dropping as quick as it used to
dude you drive a civic and you think 22mpg is reasonable? i'm gonna quote something a wise man once said on this forum.

"i can get better mileage than that driving with the ebrake up and 4 dead hookers in the trunk"

or something to that effect

i can get better mileage than that in a corvette...

if you are getting less than 38mpg in a relatively stock SOHC civic, your doing something wrong...

jams_ek

Banned
dude you drive a civic and you think 22mpg is reasonable? i'm gonna quote something a wise man once said on this forum.

"i can get better mileage than that driving with the ebrake up and 4 dead hookers in the trunk"

or something to that effect

i can get better mileage than that in a corvette...

if you are getting less than 38mpg in a relatively stock SOHC civic, your doing something wrong...
:rolf::rotflmfao: greatest quote ever!!! and yeah I have an 82 camaro with a small block and it gets 28mpg so 22 in a civic blows

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
do a fuel injector clean
check fuel lines for clogs
check ignition

you shouldn't need new spark plugs wires unless they are not putting out at lease 4000 volts (it takes lots of voltage to fire a spark plug gap in the combustion chamber). distributor to wires to plugs are the secondary circuit for the ignition side it is the side with the most voltage. make sure your spark plugs aren't re gap, because you aren't suppose to set the gap on platinum plugs or you will scrape off the platinum, and fuel filter will be good to replace, and get a fuel system clean. is your air/fuel running lean?

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plugs and wires are your basic fuel-injection tune-up. Six months of service and eighteen months idle though, I wouldn't think they would be in bad shape just yet. Since they're bought and paid for I suppose it doesn't hurt to change them out.

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mines a D16Y7 all stock too... and i get like 38 MPG. WTF is wrong with your car :D :D :D :D

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure that your tires are properly inflated.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
On C-RSX.com it says only recommended for F/I or sprayed cars. Ill return them and get the other NGK's.

Yeah im getting good gas mileage but I believe I should be getting more. Right now im at an average of 27 MPG street/highway with A/C on 50% of the time. People say I should be getting more. I did change the air filter, and ill change the fuel filter with the money I saved from the spark plugs.

And can someone please explaing the whole "gapping" thing for me please?
you need to get a spark plug gapping tool to make sure the gap between the electrodes is between .037" and .041" for D series, and like .050" to .054" for B series i believe:thumbs up

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/installation.asp#gapping

Last edited:

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
switch gears at 3000rpm?
what if you drove slower?
I found that if I filled up it gets me better gas mileage than putting gas here and there.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I found that if I filled up it gets me better gas mileage than putting gas here and there.
that's kinda the opposite of theory. typically if you drive around with a full tank your lugging around like an extra 100lbs of fuel