EM2 lowering?

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
hello,
I am 17 years old and just bought my EM2

I am thinking about lowering my car, but I want it done right. It is a 2002 ex coupe 5 speed stick. It is bone stock for now but I am getting ready to start putting money into my car. So far I love my car to death, but i want to know what to use to lower it.

Do I need lowering springs and struts, or should I just get coilovers? I want to drop my car 1.5"-2.0" max. I know with that kind of a lower that I should get a camber kit front and rear.

I would appreciate any help out there for my car. Also help with picking out wheels for summer and winter.

I have no problem spending the money over time to make my look good and to make sure that it will keep up the same reliability that the civic is known for.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd suggest either use a coilover sleeve and struts, or a full bodied one piece coilover so either way you have some adjustability just in case you need/want to make changes.

and No you don't need a camber kit....but you WILL NEED and alignment

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
Ok but then you go put together a coilover sleeve and shock package, but it costs about the same as a full coilover kit. So should i just get a set of tein basis coilover for my car? It would cost about the same as the skunk2 coilover sleeves and the tokico hp Series shocks. What is the better package?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok but then you go put together a coilover sleeve and shock package, but it costs about the same as a full coilover kit. So should i just get a set of tein basis coilover for my car? It would cost about the same as the skunk2 coilover sleeves and the tokico hp Series shocks. What is the better package?
They cost the same because they offer the same results and performance (generally speaking) out of your choices you posted, the skunk 2 would be better than tein basics. Like others will tell you, there are better setups out there than the basics. Tein was one the first to make a big impact as an easily available coilover in America with great quality and with supply and demand its overly priced with todays competition.

Choosing between a full bodied coilover or a strut and coilover sleeve combo comes down to the specific specs you need out of the system. One is not better than the other.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would actually disagree. I don't think you'll need the adjustability. I think you should go with a simple spring and strut set up. It'll save you money while still providing great performance and a quality combo (assuming you get good springs and struts).

I don't see why you would need adjustability, UNLESS you plan on dropping it really low in the summer, and then raising it up in the winter. If this is the case - yes, go with some sort of adjustable coilovers (full or sleeve).

How low are you looking to go? I'm dropped 2.25" front and 2.00" rear on Neuspeed race springs and Tokiko Blue struts. My handling was greatly improved, and I love the stance (it's as low as I would go on a daily driver. I can get over speed bumps, but I slightly scrape on most of them.)

As far as camber kits go, I couldn't tell you. When I lowered my car, it was recommended to get camber kits if you dropped lower than 1.5", but recently I've been hearing a lot of people say that you don't need them. Do some more research and see what people are saying. If you intend to go low, talk to people who have done it, and see what they did (I personally have front and rear camber kits).

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would actually disagree. I don't think you'll need the adjustability. I think you should go with a simple spring and strut set up. It'll save you money while still providing great performance and a quality combo (assuming you get good springs and struts).

I don't see why you would need adjustability, UNLESS you plan on dropping it really low in the summer, and then raising it up in the winter. If this is the case - yes, go with some sort of adjustable coilovers (full or sleeve).

How low are you looking to go? I'm dropped 2.25" front and 2.00" rear on Neuspeed race springs and Tokiko Blue struts. My handling was greatly improved, and I love the stance (it's as low as I would go on a daily driver. I can get over speed bumps, but I slightly scrape on most of them.)

As far as camber kits go, I couldn't tell you. When I lowered my car, it was recommended to get camber kits if you dropped lower than 1.5", but recently I've been hearing a lot of people say that you don't need them. Do some more research and see what people are saying. If you intend to go low, talk to people who have done it, and see what they did (I personally have front and rear camber kits).
If someone is unsure of exactly how low they want to go (which still can vary based off the driver and what's in the car) its cost effective to be able to make adjustments until the desired tide height is achieved. I do understand your point though.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^I think it's probably more cost effective to look at same generation civics at different drop heights and see which height you like best. Some coilover sleeves can be had cheaply (skunk2), but I've heard the ride is relatively rough on them.

IMO, unless you're driving a tracked car, or need to raise up for winter snow and go really low in the summer, they're just not worth it.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
@ joe, I am thinking about going down 2.00" max. Would that height be ok if using my car as a DD? And if I do a strut and spring combo, what do you suggest for a good set up on a DD. I want to put 17" wheels on in summer and then 15" steelies on in the winter.

So would 2" be high enough to clear both sets of wheels?

And also, are there users who have an em2 that are lowered with a good stance? Your car looks great, I want it to look something like that

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hello,
I am 17 years old and just bought my EM2

I am thinking about lowering my car, but I want it done right. It is a 2002 ex coupe 5 speed stick. It is bone stock for now but I am getting ready to start putting money into my car. So far I love my car to death, but i want to know what to use to lower it.

Do I need lowering springs and struts, or should I just get coilovers? I want to drop my car 1.5"-2.0" max. I know with that kind of a lower that I should get a camber kit front and rear.

I would appreciate any help out there for my car. Also help with picking out wheels for summer and winter.

I have no problem spending the money over time to make my look good and to make sure that it will keep up the same reliability that the civic is known for.
What's your budget? That will help narrow down your search greatly.

They cost the same because they offer the same results and performance (generally speaking) out of your choices you posted, the skunk 2 would be better than tein basics. Like others will tell you, there are better setups out there than the basics. Tein was one the first to make a big impact as an easily available coilover in America with great quality and with supply and demand its overly priced with todays competition.

Choosing between a full bodied coilover or a strut and coilover sleeve combo comes down to the specific specs you need out of the system. One is not better than the other.
They aren't the same. The Skunk2 spring rate is way too high for the Tokico HP struts. The ride would really suck with that combination. The Tein's would actually be a better choice if you're comparing those 2. But yes, there are better setups out on the market than Tein's. They are OK, but just over priced for what they are.

IMO, unless you're driving a tracked car, or need to raise up for winter snow and go really low in the summer, they're just not worth it.
People need to be aware that although you may be able to adjust your ride height at any time with coilovers, you will need an alignment whenever you do so. Raising or lowering affects camber which also affects toe. Your best bet is to find the right height for you, get it aligned, and leave it.

Camber kits are a bit more necessary for the 7th gens and up because of the MacPherson suspension. So that "don't need camber kits when lowered" does not apply to every car. I could get away with being 2" lower on my 4th, 5th, or 6th gen Civics with out a camber kit(which I have room to speak on since all of those cars are in my possession and are lowered with no camber kits), but if I had a 7th gen, I'd consider one at that height or lower (might get an alignment first and see what the specs are before I made a decision, but that's me).

@ joe, I am thinking about going down 2.00" max. Would that height be ok if using my car as a DD? And if I do a strut and spring combo, what do you suggest for a good set up on a DD. I want to put 17" wheels on in summer and then 15" steelies on in the winter.

So would 2" be high enough to clear both sets of wheels?

And also, are there users who have an em2 that are lowered with a good stance? Your car looks great, I want it to look something like that
Lowering 2" would be fine. May sound like a lot but it's not that bad. Sure you have to take a little extra caution driving around but it's really not that low.

As for wheels and clearance, that really depends on the width and offset of the wheels, not so much the ride height.

jttegx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some coilover sleeves can be had cheaply (skunk2), but I've heard the ride is relatively rough on them.

x2.I had skunk2 sleeved coilovers on OEM struts and eventually Koni Yellows. DO NOT get skunk2 sleeved coilovers if its your daily driver. they ride rough even on a higher height setting with the yellows.

i ended up getting eibach sportline springs and very much satisfied with the ride comfort. i just wish it was .25" lower on the front as it has that sag look with 17's.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They aren't the same. The Skunk2 spring rate is way too high for the Tokico HP struts.
i was thinking of full body coilovers instead of the sleeves. misread OP's original post

Raising or lowering affects camber which also affects toe. Your best bet is to find the right height for you, get it aligned, and leave it.
Finding the right height for the individual is the hard part. "x" amount of drop with a spring is different from "x" of equal value with a full body coilover due to the design differences in the shock body length wise. Personally, the ride height is something im really particular about, so having something that just gets me "pretty close" to where i want to sit isn't good enough. Before getting my car aligned i was making 1/8th adjustments to get it right. But that's just me. Also when or if wheels and tires are changed it could very well be necessary to make adjustments.

Camber kits are a bit more necessary for the 7th gens and up because of the MacPherson suspension.
Still not necessary and the camber issue should be addressed with proper wheel diameter and offset to increase or decrease camber

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
@child, my budget is whatever it costs to get it done right. I am planning on saving up until i have the money to get it done.

I don't really care all that much about adjustable suspension, as i live in CO and it doesn't snow much in this state, and when it does, its plowed. So, that being said, if i just did the spring and strut combo, about what would that cost, and what is a good setup for a DD that i could still have some fun on with hard turns?

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A lot of people get an itch to go lower, just make sure you really don't want to go any lower before you buy springs. I thought the exact same thing 2 years ago but I waited and got coilovers. Now I want to go even lower.
If you go with coils D2's are pretty good, and make sure you get an alignment!

I have rokkor coils, which are cheap and actually ride pretty nice. + they go lowww :lol:
But if your looking for quality and willing to spend the money I would buy something nicer.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Matt - for you, I would recommend my set up... I use my car as a DD. The ride is a little rougher than stock, but it's not bad at all. My handling has been drastically improved (though I did a few other suspension mods at the same time, so it's difficult to tell how much of an impact was made by springs and struts alone). As far as 17s... it depends on the overall rim/tire combined diameter.. If you kept it near stock (like you're supposed to), then it won't matter. If it's a little bigger, it also won't matter. 7th gens have a decent sized wheel well and can fit some fairly large wheels (I've seen 19"s fit comfortably on a lowered 7th gen. This would be insanely ridiculous on a 6th).

Once again, I'm riding neuspeed race springs and tokiko blue shocks. I love my set up. Take a look at my member garage if you want to see more pictures of the ride height. I might have some pics pre-lowered in there too.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
@flipskater, nah, as i use it as my DD, and that I just want a nice stance to my car, I just want something that will work pretty well. and also, since it is my first time, i will just upgrade when I'm ready.

How much did the rokkor coils cost? I look at your civic and it looks good. How low is that?

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My build thread is pretty old sorry, but here are some more recent pictures http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=87370&page=8

Rokkor coils were like $350, cheap as f**k haha. 3 year warranty though so if these cheapo's break I'll get sent some new ones. But i'm about 2/3 down in the front and not even halfway down in the rear. They ride fairly well, especially well considering they were $350. But if you're willing to put in the money there is better stuff out there. And I wouldn't be able to tell you how much it's lowered since they're coils, I would guess 2-2.5in but I'm not positive.

Matt.radich

5+ Year Member
Will the ep3 coils fit the civic. Or do they make a set that fits th em2?

I couldn't find a set that was for the em2 made by rokkor

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm fairly certain that EP3 coils do not fit the EM2