$1500 worth of maintenance!

Ron5937

Last weekend I bought a 1996 Civic LX with 102k miles. It's in nice condition and runs well. Since it has 102k miles and I want to drive it on ski trips, I thought I should go ahead and replace the timing belt. Any number of people said to do the water pump at the same time. The timing belt was $368. When I added the warter pump the bill went to $720. That surprised me. Then the mechanic (who I think is a pretty straight shooter) called to tell me I had a broken motor mount that should be fixed for $149. And the water hoses were original and "crunchy." He thought the spark plugs should be replaced along with the gaskets that were part of a timing belt/water pump kit. In the end, bringing my car up to fully maintained status cost $1500. The air filter was good, though.

I'm a bit surprised at these costs - though individually they don't seem high: timing belt/water pump - $720; hoses $175; flusinhg coolant $89; motor mount $149; plugs $84; fuel system flush - $89; and, a brake adjustment - free! Total: $1500. Am I being had?:roll:

Jabes

5+ Year Member
water pump and timing belt usually are 150-200 for parts soo thats about $500 labor to install it. They aren't really that hard to do, other then that the other prices seem a little high but not outrageous. I do all my work myself so it seems a little high to me but thats about average cost for all that maintenance.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
now is the perfect time to learn how to do it yourself..i let honda do my timing belt one time and the bill along with the 90k service was so high i never let anyone touch my car again and from then on did all the work myself and saved a bunch of money too..without switching to geico =)

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You pay for his time, If you feel comfortable doing it your self you could have a few bucks or if you have family who is into cars you could probably save your self a few bucks

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
now is the perfect time to learn how to do it yourself..i let honda do my timing belt one time and the bill along with the 90k service was so high i never let anyone touch my car again and from then on did all the work myself and saved a bunch of money too..without switching to geico =)
Hahaha, it's things like this that make me never want to take a car to a shop, and that's why i do everything myself also. Best to learn how early so you're prepared to fix anything that your car has a problem with.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Unfortunately, the price sounds about right for the timing belt/water pump. It's not hard to replace them yourself. My friend did it for me while I watched and helped where I could and it really is simple. The scariest part is making sure the timing is correct and the belt isn't off a tooth/teeth.

Civiclover16

Sprays NAWWZZ! :)
5+ Year Member
Nothing better than doing your own work and having pride knowing you did it yourself! but $1500? woweeee

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$175 for hoses? thats crazy. $89 to flush the coolant (which the hoses are already removed!) is overpriced. $89 for spark plugs, WTF!

you got had in my opinion. learn from the mistake. download the maintenance manual and buy some hand tools. most of this stuff is pretty straight forward

$89 for spark plugs. LOL

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Last weekend I bought a 1996 Civic LX with 102k miles. It's in nice condition and runs well. Since it has 102k miles and I want to drive it on ski trips, I thought I should go ahead and replace the timing belt. Any number of people said to do the water pump at the same time. The timing belt was $368. When I added the warter pump the bill went to $720. That surprised me. Then the mechanic (who I think is a pretty straight shooter) called to tell me I had a broken motor mount that should be fixed for $149. And the water hoses were original and "crunchy." He thought the spark plugs should be replaced along with the gaskets that were part of a timing belt/water pump kit. In the end, bringing my car up to fully maintained status cost $1500. The air filter was good, though.

I'm a bit surprised at these costs - though individually they don't seem high: timing belt/water pump - $720; hoses $175; flusinhg coolant $89; motor mount $149; plugs $84; fuel system flush - $89; and, a brake adjustment - free! Total: $1500. Am I being had?:roll:
welcome to the world of owning a 16 year old car. i would say if you don't have the knowledge or confidence to tackle all of this yet, have the mechanic do the more complicated stuff, like timing belt/water pump. then do spark plugs, gaskets, motor mounts, and coolant hoses yourself.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
s**t my spark plugs were on sale for $3 bucks at autozone and 30 bucks for some wires it maybe took 5 minutes to change them, that was the first thing I ever touched on a car

Trekk

Registered VIP
Not only do you pay for time, you pay towards the overhead (light, rent, water, equipment, ect). The few shops I've been in charge around $100-$120 an hour for labor. Mechanics are also looking for work (problems on the car), so they can make money. However some of those cost are a little crazy.

I personally wouldnt charge labor on a water pump for a civic since its a few bolts (few seconds) more work in an area where I was working. Even if I did, say I charged a 5/10's an hour. The water pump would be (lets say) $40. + 50% increase on part + $50 labor. That would bring the timing belt and water pump up to $498. IDK how they jumped from $368 to $720 unless they are charging you labor to pull and install the timing belt twice.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's with this "fuel system flush" garbage?

Trekk

Registered VIP
What's with this "fuel system flush" garbage?
It's pretty much seafoam.

However before you go OMFG(&#(@#(&@)(*%R__%() you have to understand many people don't know anything about a car, they never pop the hood and don't want too. You can do it your self, but for those, not willing to mess with it, its a preventative maintenance, that would be tons cheaper then buying new fuel injectors and paying for them to be installed.

Trust me, at my age, (which isn't even that old) and hatred of people touching my cars. I never would change my oil again if I didnt have access to a lift. No way in hell would I drag out the ramps, and crawl on my back under my car. In most cases it's cheaper for me to pay a shop, then buy my own oil and filter :P

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My old dealership I worked at recommended "fuel system flushes". You don't need it. As you said, your car is running fine, so it's not needed. You should never run gunk through your fuel system unless you suspect a problem. Dealerships created this service due to a bad batch of gas we got a whiiiiiile back and they figure they can use it as a selling tactic for people who really care about fuel economy. Unless you have a funky idle, running rough or have horrible fuel economy you do not need it.

Essentially that service was the reason I got let go from my old dealership. And the reason why I got hired at this one. Because I don't believe in it.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Fuel system treatment, is needed at times. I've had more then a small share of cars come in with misfires, stumbles and what not. Normally old people and soccer mom's that just putt around town. In this case it's not needed, and this guy is just trying to make some money. If you want to put something in your tank just incase http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7080568-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=#utm_source=cse&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4 this stuff works. I put a bottle in my cars every 3 months or so, when it goes on sale 2 for 1.

I'm all for preventative maintenance, I have my oils lab tested, run fuel cleaners, catch cans, flushes, ect on all my cars, I've been driving 15years, and never broke down, or had to pull over for anything.