Turbo Rotary Mazda Minitruck Build

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think i paid $700 for my lincoln wire feed. Then you gotta get a bottle of gas to weld mig. Then u need a welding hood and gloves and extra tips and such.

U can find stuff on craigslist usually pretty often.

I would suggest the miller millermatic welders. They are pretty much dummy proof.

But i do love my lincoln!

U can also get the cheaper versions of the welders at lowes and home depot also!

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont wear gloves and i dont have gas, so they arent necessary

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay. Thanks guys. Ill check them out

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:thumbdown: about all this welding talk lol i wanna correct everyone whose wrong but i dont wanna be a d**k. Do what works for you guys...but just remember doing it the RIGHT way is the best/only way. You say you dont wanna half ass a build dont half ass a weld.

Gas is manditory for almost all wire feed welding GMAW (gas medal arc welding) aka MIG

Lincoln, Miller, & ESAB are the best welders you can get. Hobart is a small job welder used very little. (Great for first time) you will soon hate the quality of hobart.
Chris :thumbup: for knowing whats up with welding!

Greg- no gloves is about as stupid as it gets, you risk electrical shock, (death) and flash burn. The hands and feet are the worst areas to get burnt and the light from a weld is 4 times as strong as the regular sun. HIGH risk of skin cancer (melanoma) and flash burn hurts like f**k!

End rant!

Chris this build is gonna pick up when you get back right? Weather is fairing up and you have no excuse for missed garage time (other than family)

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbdown: about all this welding talk lol i wanna correct everyone whose wrong but i dont wanna be a d**k. Do what works for you guys...but just remember doing it the RIGHT way is the best/only way. You say you dont wanna half ass a build dont half ass a weld.

Gas is manditory for almost all wire feed welding GMAW (gas medal arc welding) aka MIG

Lincoln, Miller, & ESAB are the best welders you can get. Hobart is a small job welder used very little. (Great for first time) you will soon hate the quality of hobart.

Greg- no gloves is about as stupid as it gets, you risk electrical shock, (death) and flash burn. The hands and feet are the worst areas to get burnt and the light from a weld is 4 times as strong as the regular sun. HIGH risk of skin cancer (melanoma) and flash burn hurts like f***!

End rant!

Chris this build is gonna pick up when you get back right? Weather is fairing up and you have no excuse for missed garage time (other than family)
yeah gas is definitely useful, but if you are doing it on the cheap side and arent to worried about perfect clean welds, its not necessary. i get by without it, and they have held up for 6 weeks and 3k miles under my car. they arent pretty, but they do the job

but meh, i rarely see people weld with gloves unless they are doing it for a long period of time. ive been burnt, and it felt like normal burn to me. though i did make the stupid move of welding without a mask because i couldnt see, welding flash was the worst thing ive ever experienced lol

but yeah, you do it for going to do it for a living, so you need the best. most of us just need it here and there and it isnt worth a huge investment. it just needs to get the job done

Sorry for taking this off topic, just giving my input.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BOT

So im pretty much convinced im going to go IRS on this truck.

I know i keep saying i am done fabricating but i am needing to go five lug and i figure ill kill two birds with one stone and get some rear camber also lol.

Im looking for a good deal on either a rx7 rear diff or a jaguar rear with the brakes on the diff.

So if anyone finds me one ill love u forever!

In other news i havent touched the truck. Been so busy.

Got the wife a new dishwasher and microwave and got all that hooked up. Just been doing a lot around the house before North Dakota.

But i did order a few small things. And i think im ditching the wilwood brake setup abd going to go with a floor mounted Tilton pedal setup. If u guys havent seen these, google it. Its hi tech s**t!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Greg- no gloves is about as stupid as it gets, you risk electrical shock, (death) and flash burn. The hands and feet are the worst areas to get burnt and the light from a weld is 4 times as strong as the regular sun. HIGH risk of skin cancer (melanoma) and flash burn hurts like f**k!

End rant!

Ive never taken a welding class but i do a lot of reading and research.

I dont claim to be a pro, but im pretty good with a wire feed mig!

And im hoping to get work done on the truck man. I just work so damn much its not even funny...

Big updates coming in the mail in the next few weeks!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah gas is definitely useful, but if you are doing it on the cheap side and arent to worried about perfect clean welds, its not necessary. i get by without it, and they have held up for 6 weeks and 3k miles under my car. they arent pretty, but they do the job

but meh, i rarely see people weld with gloves unless they are doing it for a long period of time. ive been burnt, and it felt like normal burn to me. though i did make the stupid move of welding without a mask because i couldnt see, welding flash was the worst thing ive ever experienced lol

but yeah, you do it for going to do it for a living, so you need the best. most of us just need it here and there and it isnt worth a huge investment. it just needs to get the job done

Sorry for taking this off topic, just giving my input.
This is kind of true but not really. Its not about pretty welds. Its about penetration and your ugly welds will eventually crack and break. Thats just all there is to it.

As far as welding without gloves and such...

Well its just retarded. I dont wear two thick long gloves cuz i dont like the control i get with a thick glove on my trigger finger, but i always wear gloves and ear plugs and my mask. I even wear it for tack welds.

I have been burnt and shocked and flash burnt and it is no fun at all. I honestly can say my eyes have gotten a lot worse since i started welding. Good equipment is vital and irreperable damage can be done.

This isnt elementary school anymore. Its real stuff that can really change your life if u f**k up. It is dangerous and should be taken seriously.

Sorry to take off topic. End rant :cool:

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BOT

So im pretty much convinced im going to go IRS on this truck.

I know i keep saying i am done fabricating but i am needing to go five lug and i figure ill kill two birds with one stone and get some rear camber also lol.

Im looking for a good deal on either a rx7 rear diff or a jaguar rear with the brakes on the diff.

So if anyone finds me one ill love u forever!

In other news i havent touched the truck. Been so busy.

Got the wife a new dishwasher and microwave and got all that hooked up. Just been doing a lot around the house before North Dakota.

But i did order a few small things. And i think im ditching the wilwood brake setup abd going to go with a floor mounted Tilton pedal setup. If u guys havent seen these, google it. Its hi tech s***!
Ooh I vote for the Jaguar rear end. It would be super unique. Where do you even find something like that though?

I've seen the Tilton pedal boxes before. :shockl:

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just a little nugget of funness, my local auto yard just got THREE B's, all look to be in pretty straight shape (were coming in on a car hauler) need ANYTHING? i am betting its in there. hit me up if you like

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just a little nugget of funness, my local auto yard just got THREE B's, all look to be in pretty straight shape (were coming in on a car hauler) need ANYTHING? i am betting its in there. hit me up if you like
he needs a completeish truck to donate to me

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ooh I vote for the Jaguar rear end. It would be super unique. Where do you even find something like that though?

I've seen the Tilton pedal boxes before. :shockl:
Well there are no jaguars in the junk yards around here but i know a guy in vegas that said he could get me one. But i think i found a rx7 that imma buy for parts and use what i need and junk the rest.

Either way im in no hurry. This will probably be an all winter project considering i have no idea how im going to mount and bag an irs lol...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really need a perfect shape rear bumper. Theres lots of other s**t i need but i cant really think of anything right now plus everything i need us gonna be a pita to remove...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the jag rear ends are cool, but have their little problems... i say get a ranger rearend, since it will be easy to find and simular in size to your truck... plus its 5 lug like you want.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the jag rear ends are cool, but have their little problems... i say get a ranger rearend, since it will be easy to find and simular in size to your truck... plus its 5 lug like you want.
Im thinking either explorer or rx7. I found a cheap rx7...

Ranger and yota axles work but arent as strong internally as my stock axle.

Idk its still just an idea. The wheels that greg turned me on to can be drilled to any specs, so i may just stay six lug...