1992 honda civic a/c

hondacivicAZ

hi ron...then that makes me confused!! I took my car in to get more freon or have it converted to r134...they called me and said my car was ready and that they just had to clean the a/c out.. but when i picked up my car (after hours) the a/c didnt feel any colder..so i called them this morning and he asked me if i hit the reset button on the dash?!! i said no that i didnt know there was one there and he said to bring it in so he can do it.....so there is no reset button to make my a/c colder? it blows out cool air but i can tell its running out of freon and not as cool as it should be

RonJ

Banned
hi ron...then that makes me confused!! I took my car in to get more freon or have it converted to r134...they called me and said my car was ready and that they just had to clean the a/c out.. but when i picked up my car (after hours) the a/c didnt feel any colder..so i called them this morning and he asked me if i hit the reset button on the dash?!! i said no that i didnt know there was one there and he said to bring it in so he can do it.....so there is no reset button to make my a/c colder? it blows out cool air but i can tell its running out of freon and not as cool as it should be

Baloney. There is no reset button. The mechanic is confused or worse.

Just make sure the heater is off and that the heater valve is not stuck open on the firewall. If that's fine, insist that the mechanic fixes the problem. And have him point out the so called reset button. Bring your camera and post a picture for us.

How much have you paid the mechanic for the work already done?

hondacivicAZ

i did not pay anything..it was in there to have an oil leak fixed that i keep having to take back as well...so frustrating!!

RonJ

Banned
i did not pay anything..it was in there to have an oil leak fixed that i keep having to take back as well...so frustrating!!
From where on the engine do you see oil leaking? Post some clear pictures. We should be able to help you pinpoint the source.

hondacivicAZ

i wouldnt be able to tell you where its leaking from.....all i know is when i look under the car its towards the front?..almost centralized...i will try to post pics but dont have the tools to get under the car and its 109 degrees in az!! if i could i would also convert my a/c over r134 with the kit from auto zone but have been adised to not do that...since i'm a girl and hear many different things its hard to believe who is saying what.

RonJ

Banned
i wouldnt be able to tell you where its leaking from.....all i know is when i look under the car its towards the front?..almost centralized...i will try to post pics but dont have the tools to get under the car and its 109 degrees in az!! if i could i would also convert my a/c over r134 with the kit from auto zone but have been adised to not do that...since i'm a girl and hear many different things its hard to believe who is saying what.
Find a cool place to snap some pictures of anywhere on the engine you see fresh oil. Do your best.

Yes, those cheap R134a conversion kits are garbage and should be strictly avoided. The correct way is more expensive and labor intensive.

For the A/C to work, two important things must happen. The condenser fan (driver side) must run and the compressor clutch must engage. When the A/C won't blow cold, check whether one or both of these things does not happen.

hondacivicAZ

the a/c checked out to be fine....i dont know much but i do know when my car just simply needs more freon...so i'm more upset that he just didnt do as i asked him to instead of just saying they cleaned out a few bugs nad to hit a "reset" button..thanks for getting back to me so quickly...i appreciate your honesty

RonJ

Banned
the a/c checked out to be fine....i dont know much but i do know when my car just simply needs more freon...so i'm more upset that he just didnt do as i asked him to instead of just saying they cleaned out a few bugs nad to hit a "reset" button..thanks for getting back to me so quickly...i appreciate your honesty
The mechanic must have seen a lot of dead bugs clogging the condenser, so he likely tried to clean them off. He needs to hook up R12 manifold gauges to the high and low side ports to know whether the R12 is low. Low R12 is only one of several possible causes for poor A/C cooling.

hondacivicAZ

too bad you live in TX otherwise i'd have you go with me!! i am a texas native though...anyhoo...i'm not sure what all they did like hooking up guages and what not like you are suggesting since i wasnt there.....my guess is they did what they could and then told me it was working fine.....i'm starting to wonder if he thought i meant it wasnt working it all when in fact i was just simply saying i know my car needs more freon.....

RonJ

Banned
too bad you live in TX otherwise i'd have you go with me!! i am a texas native though...anyhoo...i'm not sure what all they did like hooking up guages and what not like you are suggesting since i wasnt there.....my guess is they did what they could and then told me it was working fine.....i'm starting to wonder if he thought i meant it wasnt working it all when in fact i was just simply saying i know my car needs more freon.....
Just ask the mechanic as many questions as possible and take notes on his answers. Then relay the information back to us for more advice.

hondacivicAZ

i will..may be another 2 weeks before i can take it back in....but if i have to take it back in for the 5th time for this oil leak i'm going to be pissed!

RonJ

Banned
i will..may be another 2 weeks before i can take it back in....but if i have to take it back in for the 5th time for this oil leak i'm going to be pissed!
Again, if you provide us good pictures, we can most surely tell you what needs to be done to fix the oil leak.