1993 Civic DX Overheating

diamondzen

5+ Year Member
I Can't figure out this issue. When my engine warms up coolent flows into the overflow tank. For some reason, its a one way trip. I've tried three radiator caps.

As for the system itself. The fan works, water pump is fine, installed a new thermostat. Head gasket seems fine and pressure are good.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about something. I was working on the car this winter and took off the radiator cap...man it was old, and some rubber gasket like material came off. I assumed it from the old cap, but could it have come from the radiator itself? I think I've got good pressure because when I talk off the cap it is under pressure.

I keep coming back to this in my head. I'm thinking I should pull a radiator out of an old Civic.

Mayby somebody on the boards that has this model could take off there cap and see if there is a gasket of some sort in the radiator itself.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the head gasket SEEMS fine...? My guess is that it is blown.

is there black residue in your overfill tank...?

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had the same problem. My caps rubber peice fell in to the radiator it started overheating. It would boil over into the lil tank. I see you already have tried changing caps. Possibly try a higher PSI cap maybe. Also if that rubber peice is stuck in the opening it could make your cap not close all the way and making you loose pressure which would cause the overfill tank to fill up.

diamondzen

5+ Year Member
Because my system is pressurizing when cold, and when I gun the engine coolent comes out if the cap is off my assumption is that I have indeed blown the head gasket...which brings me to my next question...

How hard is it to change the gasket?

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
diamondzen said:
Because my system is pressurizing when cold, and when I gun the engine coolent comes out if the cap is off my assumption is that I have indeed blown the head gasket...which brings me to my next question...

How hard is it to change the gasket?
It's not that easy but not that hard. All you really need is a torque wrench, headgasket and a book. You have to make sure the head hasn't been warped you can use a straight for that. If you car has over heated alot then it may be warped. But most of the time it's fine.