1994 Honda Civic CX problem, read on.

96civicexrican

5+ Year Member
Manual transmission, stock d16. No modifications. 118,344 miles

Okay, I turn the car on this morning and the car is idling extremely rough, I take off and it continues to ride rough, blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust until I get to second gear going between 25-30 mph and the roughness and smoke stop. I get to my destination (work) come out 9 hours later and turn the car on, still idling rough. I take off and once again riding really rough and blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust, except when I get to about 25-30 mph. I get approximately 3-4 miles down the road and turn left, about 1/4 mile down the car overheats, I turn it off and let it glide into a parking lot. I open the hood and everything seems normal. I check the oil and it is fine with no milkyness to it or anything. I let it cool down for a few minutes and take off again, except this time, no rough idle or blue smoke. I get to a red light and here comes the rough idle and blue smoke again. I get about another 1/4 miles down the road and it overheats again, I turn it off and let it glide onto the side of the highway. I call a tow truck and voila I'm home but with many worries on my mind.

What is going on here? Is it the head gasket? Spark plugs and wires? What is it? I travel a lot for work and need to get this thing fixed like ASAP! Anyone have this problem with there Honda or other car? I don't ever race this car nor do I abuse it in anyway. It's just a daily driver that I actually take very good car of. This just came out of nowhere very unexpectedly.

If you have had this problem or know someone that had please let me know what it is.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a blown head gasket. You could do compression and leak down tests, but I think you'll be pulling the head off pretty soon anyway.

95CivyHatch

Sounds like a blown head gasket. You could do compression and leak down tests, but I think you'll be pulling the head off pretty soon anyway.
Thats what it sounds like to me also could possibly be rings but very seldom does that make the idle rough.....

95CivyHatch

put a 16valve head on it and all ur problems will go away lol

Nebster66

yesSIR-S
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a blown head gasket, listen to RonJ...

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
blown gasket, been there done that like 2 weeks ago....not hard to fix, have a warm garage and about 5 hours of free time, get the head gasket AND the manifold gasket, also buy some carb cleaner (2 cans) and some stuff called motor flush (2 cans), also get some oil and some coolant.

take off valve cover, and all bolts that hold head on...should be like 10-12 or so....pull head up and the gasket is under there, scrape the old one off and be sure to get it ALL... also pull the manifold off as well and change that gasket as well this should be fairly easy

now look under the valve cover, u see that soapy tan stuff? looks like chocolate milk with too much milk in it? thats the coolant and ur oil mixing....use the carb cleaner to get all that off... i cant stress ALL enough.do the same for the head spray the carb cleaner and get as much off as u can....when uv done that put it all back together and pour the motor flush in and run the car for 15 to 20 minutes like the bottle says.....drain the oil and use the second bottle of flush. then drain that and put in new oil and coolant and u should be good to go

RonJ

Banned
^^^Also make sure the head is not warped and resurface if necessary. Otherwise, you'll be pulling the head again.

In addition, if the engine severely overheated, seriously consider replacing the entire engine.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
hey yes i have to agree with everyone about the head gasket my car was doing the same exact thing last week and i ripped the head off and there was a hole in the head gasket its not very hard to do and if u do it yourself i ordered arp headstuds from AE Motoring for 121. and the whole top end gasket set from Advanced Auto parts and it costed me around 250-300 for everything. here is a diy that i followed and helped......http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2865