1994 honda civic DX problem

boulbrokdrm

5+ Year Member
I have a 1994 honda civic dx

last week i got off the highway and was doing the speed limit. i came to this really steep hill in my area, and in order to get up it i had to floor it, and also i heard what sounds to be a rattle in the engine. That night i changed my spark plugs, to no help. this past saturday i had to meet somebody, and i parked up on a slight hill. I went to leave, and i was reseversing down the hill, when my engine just died. i think the two might be related in some way, and i think it might be the fuel system where something is bad...

thanks for all your help

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your compression.
check your oil and see if you have water in it.
it may be a blown head gasket and you may have no compression...

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
or could be fuel or any number of other things... check your fuel filter and maybe your gas guage...lol jk

boulbrokdrm

5+ Year Member
hey,

thanks for the ideas, i will go ahead and replace my fuel filter later this week. as for the oil, how do i go about checking if there is water mixed in? and also is there any cheap way that i can check my compression?

thanks

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just pull out the dipstick, you'll know if theres water in or, or worst comes to worst just do an oil change, twenty bucks to knock that question out if worth it i think

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to check your oil for water, just check the dipstick...if they are mixing, you will literally see water mixed with the oil...

the reason is because with a blown head gasket, the water jackets leak into the block. and vice versa...(you would also probably have oil in your cooolant)... if it is blown bad, it will leak out the side of the engine.

The water may also be making its way into the around the cylinder, and if so, it will mess up your compression, spark, etc.

it may have nothing to do with the head gasket, but if it does...the general signs are loss of acceleration, oil/water mixture, and even exhaust smelling like antifreeze. "IF" it is blown, and you continue to drive it like this, you could warp or crack either your head or your block or both (expensive fix).

then again...it may be something totally different.

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uhmm...cheap way to check compression...

someone else help him out...take it to a mechanic(I would guess) they should be able to do it fairly easily...