1996 civic dc hatcback d16y7

bigkahunahockey

5+ Year Member
Ok guys I'm a Harley-Davidson tech, so that's why I'm here asking for some help. I just bought a 1996 dx hatch 5-speed with 131k miles. everything was stock and I was getting 36 miles to the gallon. I bought an AEM Short Ram Intake system part #22-413. I installed it with no problems. With just that mod my gas mileage went from 360 a tank to right now I'm now at 187 with just under a quarter tank left. I' have been driving it just like how I was driving it when it was stock. I drive 65 on the freeway. No I'm not hot-roding around, there is NO check engine light, I just replaced to spark plugs cause when I pulled out the old ones they had a gap lager then .044. If that would have mattered it would have shown before the new intake, I know, I wasn't thinking. I do not know the condition of the fuel filter, and have had some tell me that could be the problem. So any information would be appreciated. Mahalo (If it is supposed to be this bad, let me know, I'm a big boy, I will just throw the stock intake back on.):(

civic hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first do a good tune up on the car plugs, wires, filters, cap, rotor. start at the cheap and easy stuff to change, then see where your at. sometimes when parts get put on we tend to get a little heavy foot in stop light traffic, thats where most of the gas guzzeling happens.

hope i helped a little

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like you left the TPS or temp sensor disconnected, if all of a sudden your gas mileage went to s**t from installing an intake

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Does the temperature sensor have anything to do with gas mileage? I just re connected mine yesterday. I didnt really pay attention to the MPG's though.

Original Poster: Thats funny that you lost so much MPG's, I installed an intake on mine and my gas mileage didnt drop or increase. Even if it did, it was by very little.
Wow you are getting 36mpg! LUCKY! Im getting around 32 highway/street mixed, right now its around 28 because I ALWAYS have the AC on (I cant roll my windows down).

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Does the temperature sensor have anything to do with gas mileage? I just re connected mine yesterday. I didnt really pay attention to the MPG's though.
it can effect gas mileage if the ecu goes into limp mode... but there should be a CEL light on.. so i dunno :what:

jpelizzari

5+ Year Member
Id do the tune up. But your MPG shouldn't have dropped with just an intake. I've never seen it drop that low at all!

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
run and OBD scan on your car
look out for P0122, P1298, and a coupel of others ones, they might mess with your fuel air mixutre and yoru car is probabaly running really rich. Do you notice any performance issues like bogging, rough idle, bad accel, or stuff like gas coming out the exhaust? BUt thats an old engine your working on, so any number of things might be messed up not that the engine is finally getting more air, assuming it has been running witht he stock air box its previous life. A quick possible fix is to unplug your negative terminal for 15 min to reset the ECM of the car. THen plus it in and drive how you normally would so the computer can rebuild its memory. good luck!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont think scanning the computer will turn anything up cuz he said there's no CEL

however, resetting the ECU may help so it can adjust to the new intake

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
it can effect gas mileage if the ecu goes into limp mode... but there should be a CEL light on.. so i dunno :what:
What happens when the ECU goes into limp mode?

All I did was cut a hole in my intake coupler, and shoved the sensor there.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What happens when the ECU goes into limp mode?

All I did was cut a hole in my intake coupler, and shoved the sensor there.
limp mode is when the ecu just starts dumping fuel into the motor, running really rich, whenever it has an error with reading the correct air/fuel going into the motor. it does it as a safety measure so there's no chance of it leaning out and blowing the motor

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Try royal purple synthetic oil, ngk iridium plugs and lucas fuel stabilizer along with a new fuel filter disi cap and rotor. I did all of this to my d16y7 after buying the same intake and saw a good difference. When I bought my car it had 157,XXX and right now im @ 211,XXX driving it hard as hell with no problems since i've owned the car.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd try putting the stock intake back on and see if the problem still occurs

oh..and WELCOME :hi: