2000 civic isn't going anywhere

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey cc...

well just put on my dunlop direzza rims last night and go out this morning to drive my car to work and my rear passenger side break is locked up...

I'm convinced that it's the parking break because the parking break only worked on the passenger side anyway. However, I disconnected the parking break at the handle and no luck...maybe I need to take the cable off on the rear passenger side tire too? It just seems that the caliper is locked up for no reason at all...

Obviously can't drive it like this and I have class in a few hours so I need some input real quick

'00 EM1
All around disc breaks

Butterz

Did the car work fine before you put the rims on? What size rims are they? Is it possible your rim is caught against your caliper?

To be honest, I've got a rear disc swap on my car from a '92 Civic with original calipers and they still work perfect. I find it hard to believe your caliper would seize over night.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have no clue why it stopped working...I went from 15" Si's to 16" Dunlop Direzza's. It doesn't look like the rim has caught the caliper because it's only on the passenger rear tire. The rest of the calipers are fine...and they worked fine up until this morning because it's my daily driver

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe the problem is that since it gets really cold overnight, the cold is not allowing the e-brake to release properly...if I disconnect the e-brake cable will my caliper release?

Butterz

The Ebrake is on a spring where it attaches to the caliper, which is why the handle drops so forcefully.

Now this is totally unorthodox advice, but if it were mine i would start the car, pump the brakes a bit to try and get some movement out of the caliper piston, put the car in gear and try to force the tire loose gently. I'm not saying to drive it around, but move it back and forth in your driveway.

Keep pumping the break trying to move it over and over. It should brake loose at some point, but you should take that caliper off as soon as possible and see if it's seized.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's not too uncommon for e-brake cables to seize or even snap. Especially if your car is exposed to colder climates and I would imagine, winter salt.

Have you tried taking the wheel off and inspecting the brake assembly up close?

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah...problem solved lol. I need spacers, here is what I saw when I took my wheel off

Apparently this is the only wheel that is too close to the mounting bracket thing. So I'm just gonna find some 4x100 spacers that I can order online and run my si's until they come in the mail. Wow I feel dumb now lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damn... What's the offset of the wheels? Should say on that sticker.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
dunlop direzza is the tire. what wheel did you put on and, as john asked, what was the offset?

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are Dunlop direzza rims. From Japan, they have an offset of 48 lol. I know direzzas are tires as well but they are also a type of rim. I'll take a pic of the rim to show you it says direzza lol.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow that's nuckin futs! I know I had to use spacers when I had 16x7" +38mm drag wheels. The inside of the wheel spoke was rubbing the outside of the caliper. I didn't have that problem with 16x6.5 +45mm HFP wheels.. they had plenty of clearance all the way around. But your wheel problem is with the upper tie arm. What is the width of the wheels? 7"?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn... What's the offset of the wheels? Should say on that sticker.
I started wondering the same thing when I first started reading this. Yikes kiddo.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah...that was unexpected lol. But I got some 1/4" spacers for the back two tires that I'm gonna put on tonight and hope they work.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's not just the offset that caused the problem. It was the high offset in combination with 7" wide wheel. The offset would have been fine with a 6.5" wheel

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not just the offset that caused the problem. It was the high offset in combination with 7" wide wheel. The offset would have been fine with a 6.5" wheel
Agreed, well put 1/4" spacers on the back two tires and there's no grinding anymore. Thanks everyone for the help! :D