2001 Civic LX burning smell and flickering battery light

2001CivicLX

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum, and recently bought another Honda. I just sold my RSX-S and replaced it with a 2001 Honda Civic 4 door. This car is a much better fit for a family. Car seats and 2 doors get old fast.

Well here is my issue. I picked up the car last week and it runs and drives fine. It has about 107k on it. After driving it though, I realized that there is a smell coming from the engine bay, and also the battery light flickers on and off at higher rpms (4500-5000). One time the car even bucked a bit until I dropped the rpms. I stopped at Advanced Auto, and they hooked my car up to the machine and said that my alternator and battery were fine. When I put on my high beams and the fan on high, the reading decreased, and even more so when I revved the motor.
What do you guys think...alternator? Sensor?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Drew

EDIT:After looking around I realized that the header to motor isn't sealed perfectly. The header has been repaired and the gasket may have been reused. Either way, I am getting a new header and gasket. Not sure what the battery light issue is though.

Last edited:

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Visually check the wiring harness from your alternator connector. You could have a signal wire that has been rubbing on something and partially grounding, causing a low voltage signal. How low did the voltage drop at its lowest point?

2001CivicLX

Visually check the wiring harness from your alternator connector. You could have a signal wire that has been rubbing on something and partially grounding, causing a low voltage signal. How low did the voltage drop at its lowest point?
Thanks for your reply...
I think it went down to 11.5 while testing. I will check the wires tomorrow.
Thx again