2001 ex - no spark

mkj005

5+ Year Member
New here and looking for some hope and guidance.
2001 does not have distributor and rotor - no no cap and rotor to check and replace as with my previous 93 si.

Have fuel, timing belt ok - no spark.... Any ideas?
Am checking by removing coil pack, and plug, re-assembling outside of valve cover and holding to ground wire/frame, and no visible spark. Any ideas as to possible relay, main relay, something else?
Checked all plugs and all same story.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
You might want to call a Honda dealership. They should be able to give you some places to start.

mkj005

5+ Year Member
dealerships here are no help. bring it in, $500 later we tell you whats broken and see if you want to fix it.

mkj005

5+ Year Member
Any ideas as to what relay - fuse - anything is controlling the coil packs at each cylinder?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Have you checked the packs themselves?

mkj005

5+ Year Member
I will take one down to a local parts retailer later today and see if they can test it somehow, but just seems unlikely that all 4 would go at once.
I have tried them in various combinations, and no spark on any one of them.
have been advised by one friend to check the EFI fuse. don't know exactly what EFI is, but I will go through and double check again all fuses.
My guess is still that it is a relay or something similar controller maybe, something to this effect. Just don't know what controls the coil packs.

hondagriff

Banned
Using the right key? IDK Guy on here once had a similar problem, ended up he was using the spare copy that wasn't chipped.

mkj005

5+ Year Member
would the key make a difference even if the engine is turning?
I have used this key to run the car before, but will check factory key tonight.

Also could timing be an issue? I am planning on doing the timing belt - have all parts necessary and a mechanic friend will help me do it (out of my realm), but we are still both stumped as to the lack of spark.
even if timing is off (belt whole - but may have skipped) there should still be a spark - just at the wrong time. Am I wrong in this assumption?

mkj005

5+ Year Member
What do you know, factory key started it right up.
I went to check the coil packs one by one, so I have new plug bolted in, and have a coil pack out with an old plug. Factory key, just because my wife brought her keys to crank as I am looking for spark. It started up with the coil pack pulled out. Started on 3 cylinders, when with a copied key it would not start at all.
Bolted everything back together went to start with my key (copy) and nothing. Took her key and started right up.
I am completely at a loss for words. # nights I have been going over this car with fine tooth comb, and cannot find anything wrong, and it was as simple as different key.

I just don't get it. The copied key worked for a year now since I have had it and occasionally drove the car. Mostly my wife drives it. Now all of a sudden my key will still crank the motor, but wont start, no spark. Is there a sensor that is ultra sensitive to the ignition?
I don't know, but its running. Will do maintenance (timing belt - p/s belt, alt belt) next week as it should be done. 130k miles. Just happy its running.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow, that's a surprise to me as well. I'm guessing since the micro chip inside the key has a connection with the ignition and the ecu, the car realized that this was the actual main key and engaged the fuel, spark, and air components to work together? I've always thought this was with higher end cars (namely Mercedez, BMW, Lexus, etc...) Didn't know our Civics were divinely built with elegance!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^Yes, that's the word. I kept thinking about what the word was for things that arms and disarms :what:

mkj005

5+ Year Member
I still don't understand how I was able to drive the car for over a year with a copied key from a local hardware store, and now al of a sudden it would create issues.

JDP-OMC

Was da battery ever disconnected,replaced or ran outta power around the time the problem occured???

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Key may have gotten damaged. If you carry it around with you it may have gotten slightly bent or something like that. I will have to keep this in mind if I ever get a key made.

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The chips in aftermarket keys are hit or miss.
Hate to say it, but go to Honda if you need an extra key.