2004 civic dx vtec head swap?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
my neighbor bought a vtec head for his 04 dx and he only bought the head and a vtec controller and he said thats all you need and hes installing it right now, i told him he needs a new ecu and some other s**t, and hes like you dont know what your talking about man....is this kid just dumb, or am i?

Ferio Vi-RS

I Heart BoA!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude..... everybody including me thinks this guys gonna blow his shiet up. haha. dude..... can't wait till tomorrow when u call me up and tell me how funny it was when that moment arrives.....

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actually there has been people who figured a way to install a vtec head w/o the ecu they used the vafc controller and used that as a piggy back and so far there car is still running strong....bc doing that was easier then getting the ecu and having it reflashed bc of the igintion

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i just seems like there has to be more done, i mean he just bought the head, no intake manny no ecu, no nothing, well his car isn't there so maybe he got it to run? i need to see this

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ooh then no i know that you need the headers, vtec solenoid, intake, and harness wires and also the ecu only if you want to reflash it because of the ignition....check out the threads there is a really good one on civicseven.com for the 7th gen civic also if you search it here you can find it on this website also because there are a few DIY's here

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Kaotic_Zeus said:
i thought the dx was the VP for 04-05
f**k i dunno might even be an lx he has i dont know, its a coupe and its non vtec

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
its an lx
Generation: 7th
Chassis Code: EM2
Engine Code: D17A1
Engine Specs:1.7L 16V SOHC, 115hp @ 6100 RPM

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are like 5 or more DIYs out there on this. And you do not need to change the ECU

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the vafc can be wired up to control vtec... although it wouldn't be controlled as well as the ecu would control it. Also, you do not need the header for the ex or the intake manifold. The cheap way to do it is just get the head and a vafc pretty much.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
the vafc can be wired up to control vtec... although it wouldn't be controlled as well as the ecu would control it. Also, you do not need the header for the ex or the intake manifold. The cheap way to do it is just get the head and a vafc pretty much.
really, thats cool, and ghetto at the same time, will he be able to beat me now?

his mods
lx coupe
cai/vafc neo/greddy catback/vtec head swap, pullies

my mods
ex coupe
gutted trunk,i/h/e, vafc, new dizzy/plugs/wires,short shifter, pullies, and sweet ass air spencer

blackcivic20

5+ Year Member
Suanico said:
ok cool, i think i'll just wait to see how bad he f**ks up his car, then i'll post on here

hey so i guess i did not f**k up my car did i it runs smooth enough to give you a ride in it.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Suanico said:
really, thats cool, and ghetto at the same time, will he be able to beat me now?

his mods
lx coupe
cai/vafc neo/greddy catback/vtec head swap

my mods
ex coupe
gutted trunk,i/h/e, vafc, new dizzy/plugs/wires,short shifter, pullies, and sweet ass air spencer

probably not..

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
blackcivic20 said:
hey so i guess i did not f**k up my car did i it runs smooth enough to give you a ride in it.
It is true people, he did it with the exact parts he says he bought and it ran good, im still in awe about this, i feel bad for doubting, but i just dont see how you can swap and head and leave the ecu and all the sensors still work fine though, but hey it worked and runs good too

now.....

we race