2009 HONDA CIVIC LX Starting Incorrectly

09lxslc

5+ Year Member
I bought a new 2009 Civic LX in December 2008 and about 2 months ago, I took the car back to the Honda dealership service department to have our brand new car serviced because I had trouble with the car starting properly.

The problem with the starting is that WHEN YOU GET IN THE CAR AND PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION, IT TYPICALLY STARTS PERFECT. OTHER TIMES, RANDOMLY, THE CAR WILL CRANK, AS IF IT IS TRYING TO START BUT NOT CATCHING. IT USUALLY TAKES ABOUT 2-3 TIMES BEFORE IT WILL START. IT HAPPENS AT RANDOMS TIMES, WHEN THE GAS IS FULL, WHEN THE GAS IS ALMOST EMPTY; WHEN THE WEATHER IS -7 AND WHEN THE WEATHER IS +15.

Let me know if any of you have had any problems like this and the response you have received from the dealerships.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well..no matter what car you buy, sometimes it needs primed if the fuel evaporates, when you turn the switch to On it turns the fuel pump on which is why they told you to wait til the lights go off to turn the key. however, i would never try cranking for 30 seconds straight, i only go to 10-15 seconds because you can burn up a starter like that.

but i wouldnt want my brand new car to have trouble cranking either, have to talked to Honda of canada?

09lxslc

5+ Year Member
i find it funny that a 2009 needs to be primed, and i have driven several vehicles and have friends that have different brands and NEVER had to or HEARD of priming the vehicle.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
print out what you found on the internet about the problem and bring it in with you

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how long do you go before trying to crank it up again? if i go a day or so between cranks it takes a few turns to get it started

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have trouble starting the Si in the cold also. It takes like 3+ seconds of cranking. My 95 SOHC-vtec would start faster, easier. It is easier to start when warm.
I always turn the key to 'ON' and pause for the fuel-pump relay to cycle.

I hope your problem is fixed. From a mechanical stand point, I'd tell them to look into CKP or something. Maybe it is too far from the pickup wheel to generate a signal.
B

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i've never had problems yet with my Si, hell even my 90 civic lx starts perfect, lol.

Best thing i can tell you is take it in to your local dealer, if there is something wrong then it should be covered under warranty, or contact honda customer service and try to get a visit from a field engineer to come to your local dealer and look at your car.