4th gen worth buying

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member
Okay so now these cars are getting to be 2x years old lets face it there isn't to much we can do about that or how rare they are to come across 4 sale w.o. Rust. So what should we keep in mind when looking to buy a civic from this generation? I mean rust wise, milage, condition in general and for what price

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cost is volatile based on location and scarcity. I happily paid $1400 for my one-owner 4th Gen 1990 DX Hatch "mint" condition body with 170,xxx miles on it. Pay what you think is fair value based on how rare they are and how unmolested it is. In my case it was unmolested.

I would agree. mo more $2000 though, especially if you plan to do a swap as all you are really paying for is the shell.

I mean there are guys who have gotten a shell from 100-500 bucks or even free on this forum so keep that in mind. As low as you can get the car would be great so that way you can put that money into upgrades. The 4th gen is starting to get more scarce.

At a point sometime in the future (I predict 2 years max) the oem unmolested 4th gen is going to be extinct and you are going to have to buy one from riceboy69 down the street. Good luck. When this point comes, your best bet is to suck it up and buy a 5th gen as it would be more cost effective;)

SMooTHn

5+ Year Member
I mean there are guys who have gotten a shell from 100-500 bucks or even free on this forum so keep that in mind. As low as you can get the car would be great so that way you can put that money into upgrades. The 4th gen is starting to get more scarce.
Yep I agree I found my ED hatch for $150... I posted a thread on it... its probably buried past page 2 already...

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i paid no more than 1600 for both my ed's all together and one is a 88 si rex and the other is a 89' dx hatch that is mpfi swapped and now running a y7/y8 swap.

o3civic_si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i paid 1,700 for mine. 2,000 would be the limit unless its balls out stock, straight rust free body. For an SI you could tac about 500 more for the rarity factor.

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen 91' si hatches around here go for under 1200. i think there is one right now near me goin for 1100 thats a straight body thats completely stock.

buslovichcj

5+ Year Member
I paid 1000 for my 91 civic hatchback with only 87k miles. all original, new clutch, no rust, small dent above the rear wheel but it'll be a cheap fix

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen a couple in the vancouver bc area for cheap. when i say cheap i mean i saw a couple si's goin for less than 1600

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no more than $2k? you guys are either buying beaters(like si-hatch86), or base models...

a mint 90-91 SI would run for $3k easily around here

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no more than $2k? you guys are either buying beaters(like si-hatch86), or base models...

The price of it is Supply and Demand. There is a lot of tuners out there looking for mint unmolested 4th gens. Keep that in mind if you are looking at a car? Is it really worth losing the car just to save a few hundred in haggling. Some rich kid will buy guaranteed

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

hey my beaters treat me good.....

that red si i told you bout ryan is damn near mint and he wanted 1100, but 3k for something so old but yet so clean sounds right.

D15Blast

5+ Year Member
hey i got my hatch for $200 in mint condition it just needs some minor engine work i reckon no more than $2000 for one.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would gladly pay $3k for a mint low mileage '91 CRX SI

SilentMist

10 psi seems like a dream
I got my 1991 Honda civic SI for 500 bucks Running with a mugen body kit all about haggling down the man bro my car only need`s the rocker panels that it other then ,I got alot of good s**t for dirt cheap.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got my 1991 Honda civic SI for 500 bucks Running with a mugen body kit all about haggling down the man bro my car only need`s the rocker panels that it other then ,I got alot of good s**t for dirt cheap.
thats far from mint

spoondamonkey

5+ Year Member
I got a 91' Civic Si Hatch with no body damage and a really good interior.It has a ZC engine swap and the engine/transmission only have 55,000 miles.It has coilovers and exhaust.All of this i got for $2000

deadman

Wicked Clown
5+ Year Member
well i got mine for 400 and a cheap pair of 10inch sony explode subwoofers... = about 450-500 from a guy i know . tiny rust in a couple scratches on the roof and that was it there gone its cool now . its a 89 dx sedan 167,xxx well maintained runs like new and the ONLY real prob this thing had wrong with it is there was no radio... no biggie . i am in central fla and theres an as*load of 4th gen civics around here . i see ... well i see a buttload everyday just driving my normal route to work . i would pay up too 2000 for a decent lookin 4th from 0-125,xxx miles on it and up anything over i wouldnt more then say 1000-1200